Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Another reason 2020 is an awful year: Coca-Cola is discontinuing TaB after 57 years

Another reason 2020 is an awful year: Coca-Cola is discontinuing TaB after 57 years

Old Oct 16, 20, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.

Read all about it

Aargh. The drink has had a small but loyal following. Around here it doesn't get much shelf space but is among the first to sell out if the store has a B2G1 or especially a B2G2 sale on 12-packs of cans (they haven't had the 2L bottles in years). Diet Coke has been bigger and has gotten much more marketing support since 1982, but TaB retained a following.

Tab is one of several "underperforming" products Coke has said it is eliminating from its brand lineup by the end of the year as the company seeks to streamline production and focus on bestsellers.
Well, you won't sell very many if you make very few and haven't had advertising support since the 1980s.

I think it would have had a few more years left, at least, were it not for the pandemic and the general trend of offering a lot less variety now. YMMV by city, but the only flavored diet drink they have left around here is vanilla Coke Zero. No other variants for Coke Zero or Diet Coke (only for the HFCS sugared drinks).

From Wikipedia:

Coca-Cola's marketing research department used its IBM 1401 computer to generate a list of over 185,000 four-letter words with one vowel, adding names suggested by the company's own staff; the list was stripped of any words deemed unpronounceable or too similar to existing trademarks.[9] Of a final list of about twenty names, "Tabb" was chosen, influenced by the possible play on words, and shortened to "Tab" during development. Packaging designer Robert Sidney Dickens gave the name the capitalization pattern ("TaB") used in the logo as well as creating a new bottle design for the soft drink. The reasoning to TaB was not just limited to randomization, the acronym also accounted for the market position of the company as 'Tasty aerated Beverage'.[10]
I thought it stood for "Totally artifical beverage." Learn something new every day.

They've had it since 1963 and it was their first diet drink, coming after RC Cola's Diet Rite. At least around here you can still get the Diet Rite and taste-wise it might be the closest thing to TaB left.
Old Oct 16, 20, 5:11 pm

Is say itís probably a good thing - people buying less junk.
Old Oct 16, 20, 5:12 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
DW used to drink it exclusively, but I HATED it! She then went to Diet Coke, Caffeine Free Diet Coke, and when she can get it, her favorite is Diet Barq's (a Coke product).

DD
Old Oct 16, 20, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
They still make TaB????

the acronym also accounted for the market position of the company as 'Tasty aerated Beverage
Has anyone ever called it that? Was it ever marketed as that? Sounds like Brand Manager mumbo-jumbo

Originally Posted by thelark View Post
Is say it’s probably a good thing - people buying less junk.
Highly doubtful they'll just switch to water or something healthy when it goes away. I suspect another diet cola will just pick up the customers.
Old Oct 16, 20, 6:18 pm

Why still both Coke Zero and Diet Coke?
Old Oct 16, 20, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
What about our fresca???
Old Oct 16, 20, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I don't drink much soda so not a big deal. I occasionally like Coke from Mexico made with cane sugar and 7-Up. That and Ginger Ale is about all I keep the bar stocked with.
Old Oct 16, 20, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
Why still both Coke Zero and Diet Coke?
They taste different. Coke Zero is, to me, sweeter, closer to Pepsi.
Old Oct 16, 20, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
What about our fresca???
I'd be concerned....
Old Oct 16, 20, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I didn't know they still made it.
Old Oct 16, 20, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
I thought Tab was nixed in the 1980’s.
Old Oct 16, 20, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tasted TaB a couple of times and would give up soda if that was all there was. I don't see any big surprise that it isn't popular and it certainly had time to gain a following. Now if it was Moxie I'd be up in arms.
Old Oct 17, 20, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
DW used to drink it exclusively, but I HATED it! She then went to Diet Coke, Caffeine Free Diet Coke, and when she can get it, her favorite is Diet Barq's (a Coke product).
Barq's is, unfortunately, not readily available in all markets.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I didn't know they still made it.
I haven't seen it in years.
Old Oct 17, 20, 5:09 am

Programs: United MP
The only thing I liked about Tab was the commercials with the catchy song and the woman on the beach,. I had no idea they were still around..
Old Oct 17, 20, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One product exits. Another product enters.
Churn. Churn. Churn.
https://nypost.com/2020/09/29/coca-c...-molson-coors/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: