Wiki Posts
Search

Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by corky
I like liquid smoke but it is nasty unless used very sparingly. Actually my favorite way to get smokiness is smoked paprika...probably one of my most used spices.
I used to cook with smoked paprika until I found smoked garlic.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by gaobest
Does anyone have a deep fryer for making french fries? I can’t believe that there are several online for $50-150 range. Any suggestions?
i can grill cheeseburgers nicely and French fries would be so great with them :-)
An air fryer works pretty nicely. We use it for tater tots, onion rings, spring rolls, dim sum, spicy chicken wings, chicken nuggets, and so many other things.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Once upon a time I had a Fry Baby. But it seemed to collect dust. I don’t miss it. On the rare occasions I want to deep fry, I just use a pan.
I remember living in a share house in London and one of the housemates had a chip fryer. The house would stink of of oil for days after. It seems like such a PITA to make home made fries.

I sometimes do roast potatoes on the kettle which come out as good as fries or wedges. I run that thing so hot like 260c and it does something that is less like a roast potato and more like a chip.

Last edited by bensyd; Apr 26, 2020 at 6:52 pm
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I used to cook with smoked paprika until I found smoked garlic.
I have not tried that...are you making your own or buying the granulated?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
An air fryer works pretty nicely. We use it for tater tots, onion rings, spring rolls, dim sum, spicy chicken wings, chicken nuggets, and so many other things.
do you use your air fryer for French fries and how crispy do they get?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This
You do not need a deep fryer....use a dutch oven and a fry thermometer. gaobest, I don't know how often you want to make fries but it is a lot of work and is messy and then you are dealing with all of that leftover oil. The best fries are fried twice...first at a lower temp and then a second fry to crisp up. Plus. you should use a mandolin to cut the potatoes. Unless there is a big demand for authentic fries in your house I would stick to frozen french fries done in the oven. Or you can just make thicker and not as crispy oven fries with fresh potatoes.
what do people do with the used leftover oil? Can it be composted?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My spouse wants sushi from our local place and I’m not going to be able to cook sushi as assumed. So my “no restaurants” goal is amended in that I won’t be suggesting or initiating restaurants but will still order & eat the carry out.

Thus one sushi supper will cost about 3 days worth of groceries (amortizing the infrastructure groceries like oil / baking / butter / etc) ... hopefully it won’t be a weekly thing.

Last edited by gaobest; Apr 27, 2020 at 1:11 am Reason: Vowel
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I have not tried that...are you making your own or buying the granulated?
Buying it from a small company in Southwestern Ontario.

http://www.thegarlicbox.com/products...G-%252d-Retail
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Once upon a time I had a Fry Baby. But it seemed to collect dust. I don’t miss it. On the rare occasions I want to deep fry, I just use a pan.
This.
This
You do not need a deep fryer....use a dutch oven and a fry thermometer. gaobest, I don't know how often you want to make fries but it is a lot of work and is messy and then you are dealing with all of that leftover oil. The best fries are fried twice...first at a lower temp and then a second fry to crisp up. Plus. you should use a mandolin to cut the potatoes. Unless there is a big demand for authentic fries in your house I would stick to frozen french fries done in the oven. Or you can just make thicker and not as crispy oven fries with fresh potatoes.
I just use a pan.

A deep fryer is a pain, because you have to deal with the used oil and the space the machine takes up.

If you must have something, look at an air fryer or if you have an Instant Pot, you can buy an air fryer lid.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
what do people do with the used leftover oil? Can it be composted?
Run it through a strainer, store it, and re-use it for frying. You will need to throw it out eventually, or I should say that I do that at least. I don't bother when using smaller amounts of oil, but when I'm filling the dutch oven for french fries, or fish & chips, those are pretty expensive fries if I don't re-use the oil. Even your favorite fast food restaurants probably only change their fryer oil once a week...and imagine how often it's used.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by JBord
Run it through a strainer, store it, and re-use it for frying. You will need to throw it out eventually, or I should say that I do that at least. I don't bother when using smaller amounts of oil, but when I'm filling the dutch oven for french fries, or fish & chips, those are pretty expensive fries if I don't re-use the oil. Even your favorite fast food restaurants probably only change their fryer oil once a week...and imagine how often it's used.
Yeah, I did the same. I had a metal container with a plastic lid. Most of my frying was chicken nuggets. I’m not sure I would be reusing fish oil for potatoes or chicken, regardless of filtering. IMO, the oil retains some flavor from what’s been fried in it.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:49 am

Yeah, I did the same. I had a metal container with a plastic lid. Most of my frying was chicken nuggets. I’m not sure I would be reusing fish oil for potatoes or chicken, regardless of filtering. IMO, the oil retains some flavor from what’s been fried in it.
I've had different outcomes in terms of smell. Often I can't detect any, but maybe that's when it's potatoes or other neutral foods. I have a hypothesis that if my oil is the right temperature the food will not be oily and the oil will not be food-y. That's based on no science at all, just my uneducated brain that's been helping me cook meals since I was 8 years old. It may be that I believe it because I want to .
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
I don't think you should use the oil more than 3 times total. I think that it degrades each time and the smoke point gets lower. I don't know the details but I would look into that.
Regardless, you are still stuck with storing a large amount of oil and unless you are planning on using it in a timely fashion it could get rancid.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My spouse wants sushi from our local place and I’m not going to be able to cook sushi as assumed. So my “no restaurants” goal is amended in that I won’t be suggesting or initiating restaurants but will still order & eat the carry out.

Thus one sushi supper will cost about 3 days worth of groceries (amortizing the infrastructure groceries like oil / baking / butter / etc) ... hopefully it won’t be a weekly thing.
Still less $$ than your fancy freezer and now potential deep fryer.
Sushi is something that you are not likely to make on your own so take out is the smart way to do it.
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Buying it from a small company in Southwestern Ontario.

SMOKED GARLIC SEASONING - Retail - The Garlic Box Inc. - RETAIL STORE
Looks good...thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:42 pm

I don't think you should use the oil more than 3 times total. I think that it degrades each time and the smoke point gets lower. I don't know the details but I would look into that.
Regardless, you are still stuck with storing a large amount of oil and unless you are planning on using it in a timely fashion it could get rancid.
You made me curious so I did a little research. The USDA recommends:

"If you are planning to reuse the oil, strain it through a cheese cloth or sieve. Store the used oil in a sealed and light-proof container for up to 3 months. For best quality, refrigerate used frying oil that you want to use again."

Which is only partially helpful...my guess is that 3 months doesn't assume multiple uses during that time, and that reusing probably does cause it to turn rancid more rapidly. For the average home fry-chef, your 3 use guideline seems smart. Since I don't deep fry that often, I'd guess that's roughly about the average number of uses for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.