Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Preparing Japanese Curry Roux blocks to use later ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Hi , I have some S+B Golden Curry Japanese sauce mix cubes.
I would like to "Cook" all of the 8 oz. package at one time and put it in a jar to use later.

So what do I do ?

the Serving directions on the box tell you to add meat , onions etc and cook in a skillet ,
But I just want to prepare the cubes , add whatever is needed and then use it later on rice or noodles and some veggies,

What do you do ?

Thanks for your help
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:32 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Hi , I have some S+B Golden Curry Japanese sauce mix cubes.
I would like to "Cook" all of the 8 oz. package at one time and put it in a jar to use later.

So what do I do ?

the Serving directions on the box tell you to add meat , onions etc and cook in a skillet ,
But I just want to prepare the cubes , add whatever is needed and then use it later on rice or noodles and some veggies,

What do you do ?

Thanks for your help
Easily done and a great topping too!

The water amount specified on the package is designed in part for the veggies to cook in and in part to dissolve the roux block. There is very little water needed to dissolve them so I would start with a pot of water that has boiled, pour into a second pan the amount yoiu think might be right, and then dissolve the cubes in it. You can always thin the dissolved cubes by adding more water until satisfied with the end result.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As mjm says, you can thin it out later, so add whatever liquid you think you’ll need.

I’m in a half Japanese family but live in London. Most economic way for me to get this kind of curry roux is in a massive 1kg (2 pound) block. I just slice away what I think I will need at a time.
I don’t ever make up sauce the way you’re intending to in advance because it keeps rather longer unhydrated.
Also worth knowing that you don’t actually have to cook it for 5 minutes - you can easily shred it on a cutting board, add it to any stock or liquid as you wish, stir and it will be done in about a minute. The way I use it is to add it to my already cooked/boiled ingredients, but right at the end of the process as a final flourish.
Once shredded you can actually use it on already cooked rice along with chopped onions and anything else you want in there (like spinach or mushrooms) to make a “dry curry”. A spoon or two of liquid will help the shredded curry roux bond with the rice.
I find it a very versatile cooking ingredient, and yes, shredded and melted into liquid will quickly turn it into a sauce for chips, bratwurst, omurice or anything else you want.
boxo likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your tips , I have never seen the Japanese curry roux in a bottle like you see yellow Thai curry etc ,
But I guess thats better since you are not paying for the bottle and the water !

And its really something to have a nice quick lunch and I will try just shreding it with some rice and cooked veggies next time ,

Where did you get the Roux "brick" , we have a lot of Japanese markets around here , but I would not know what to look for
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:45 am

The curry is pretty quick cooking; if you cut your veg small enough, a batch of curry, finished with the blocks takes about 20 min. I think the consistency and flavor would really suffer. But you could make up a GRAVY with a chicken or beef broth and the blocks and then add your ingredients (even frozen veg) later. I think that would be the most simple course to do what you want. Refrigerate the broth/curry gravy as you would any leftovers.

The recipe is very simple, usually a medium yellow onion, diced, meat (I find pork works best but beef or chicken or even shrimp is fine) some carrots and peeled diced potatoes, water and the blocks. I add my blocks in single squares until I get the thickness I want; it can get thick really fast. Serve on Japanese short grain rice or with ramen. Some people embellish with a peeled soft boiled egg and Japanese rakkyo pickles (pickled onion) or red "beni shoga" (red salt pickled ginger.)
LapLap likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Thanks for your tips , I have never seen the Japanese curry roux in a bottle like you see yellow Thai curry etc ,
But I guess thats better since you are not paying for the bottle and the water !

And its really something to have a nice quick lunch and I will try just shreding it with some rice and cooked veggies next time ,

Where did you get the Roux "brick" , we have a lot of Japanese markets around here , but I would not know what to look for
It is widely available already made up, but usually with vegetables. It’s almost always in some kind of pouch
https://www.japancentre.com/en/produ...egetables-mild

For dry curry, it’s along the lines of this kind of recipe:
https://justhungry.com/japanese-dry-curry
But instead of the step where you add the spices you just combine together a bit of shredded/crumbled curry and some liquid on one side of the pan and, once heated, stir it through the cooked mixed rice. I don’t use raisins or tomato paste for this.

We really like pickled beetroot as an accompaniment. We’ve found quite a few Japanese ex-pats have gotten a taste for pickled beetroot with their curries too. My kid likes to melt a thin slice of Gouda or Edam on the top of a “wet” curry too. Occasionally I add peeled grated apple to a wet curry just before I add the shredded roux, it’s a good way to use apples that aren’t quite at their best or starting to shrivel.

Vegetables that can be kept in the freezer and go well with this kind of wet curry are: lotus root, “sato imo” known as Edo potatoes in the U.K. (Renkon/lotus root and sato imo should be available cheaply already peeled and prepared in the Japanese market freezers) as well as spinach, butternut squash and green beans. I tend to add fresh mushrooms, but they would be fine if you have them sliced and frozen. I use fresh onions and carrots too.

Occasionally I make a wet curry to eat with thick udon noodles instead of rice. For this I add dashi instead of water (you can get dashi concentrate in bottles, no need to make it from scratch) and add less of the curry roux so that it’s a little thinner than normal.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again,.....

I only have a microwave and toaster oven so need to do a few workarounds ,

the 8 oz packaged curry is available at the regular markets , at least in Los Angeles ,

The cubes you need to get at Japanese stores and there are many close by ,
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I bought a box of these cubes at Safeway. I want to cook it but just sometimes forget. I cooked a curry using thai curry powder (Bassett brand?) with cumin and coriander seeds - it was good but possibly not strong enough because I had too many ingredients :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.