Search

Favorite gin cocktails

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Favorite gin cocktails

Any recommendations? I don't have much experience with gin beyond a gin and club soda (I don't like the bitter taste of tonic). Usually Bombay Sapphire is what I have on hand. But I also have a bottle of Hendricks since it was recommended by some friends. Gin isn't as forgiving as most other spirits when mixed in a cocktail so was looking for some advice.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a Floridan?

A “Breakfast Martini” or a “Marmalade Martini”.

Get it right and they’re exquisite.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Any recommendations? I don't have much experience with gin beyond a gin and club soda (I don't like the bitter taste of tonic). Usually Bombay Sapphire is what I have on hand. But I also have a bottle of Hendricks since it was recommended by some friends. Gin isn't as forgiving as most other spirits when mixed in a cocktail so was looking for some advice.
Gin isn't forgiving? I read the other day it is the most used base spirit for cocktails!

To your question: up your gin and soda with a bit of liquid sugar and lemon juice for a gin fizz or gimlet? Half lime, half gin shake or serve over ice. My favourite drink: a very dry gin martini with a twist.

More standard high end gins I'd recommend would be Monkey 47.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
St-George spirits in Alameda CA makes a great gin called Terrior that is infused with Douglas Fir for a unique smell and taste. They also have a Rye Gin which is aged in oak barrels resulting in a darker colour and a hint of whisky flavour. St. George Spirits :: St. George Dry Rye Gin

If you're trying a gin fizz, check out Malfy Gin from France, it's got a bit of grapefruit flavour which adds to citrus drinks.

I like to make my Hendricks and tonic (or Hendricks & soda) with some cucumber puree instead of lime. I freeze it ahead of time in an icecube tray for easy use.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Gin (and most clear liquors) are the quite forgiving when used in a cocktail.

I discovered a version of a gin mojito at a bar that I now make at home...

2oz gin
1oz simple syrup
Cucumber slices
Lime
Mint
Club soda

In a shaker, muddle mint with gin, then add lime wedge and one or two cucumber slices and muddle a little bit more. Add simple syrup and ice. Shake vigorously. Pour into tall glass. Add another lime wedge and cucumber slice. Top with club soda.

Mrs. Swede loves elderflower liquor, and we're trying to incorporate it into gin cocktails.

We've also made mint juleps using gin (the original liquor used for the cocktail) instead of bourbon.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Gin (and most clear liquors) are the quite forgiving when used in a cocktail.

I discovered a version of a gin mojito at a bar that I now make at home...

2oz gin
1oz simple syrup
Cucumber slices
Lime
Mint
Club soda

In a shaker, muddle mint with gin, then add lime wedge and one or two cucumber slices and muddle a little bit more. Add simple syrup and ice. Shake vigorously. Pour into tall glass. Add another lime wedge and cucumber slice. Top with club soda.

Mrs. Swede loves elderflower liquor, and we're trying to incorporate it into gin cocktails.

We've also made mint juleps using gin (the original liquor used for the cocktail) instead of bourbon.
Thanks, I never knew the mint julep was originally made with gin. I think that would make a really good combination with the mint and gin botanical.

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Gin isn't forgiving? I read the other day it is the most used base spirit for cocktails!

To your question: up your gin and soda with a bit of liquid sugar and lemon juice for a gin fizz or gimlet? Half lime, half gin shake or serve over ice. My favourite drink: a very dry gin martini with a twist.

More standard high end gins I'd recommend would be Monkey 47.
Sometimes I've found that the gin tends to overpower a multi-spirit cocktail if I get the proportion wrong. I like to know it is there but not steal the show. I'll try the gin fizz suggestion. It'll be hot here until the end of December so that would be refreshing!

Originally Posted by LapLap
For a Floridan?

A “Breakfast Martini” or a “Marmalade Martini”.

Get it right and they’re exquisite.
I had never heard of it but it sounds really good for a lazy day and late brunch.

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
St-George spirits in Alameda CA makes a great gin called Terrior that is infused with Douglas Fir for a unique smell and taste. They also have a Rye Gin which is aged in oak barrels resulting in a darker colour and a hint of whisky flavour. St. George Spirits :: St. George Dry Rye Gin

If you're trying a gin fizz, check out Malfy Gin from France, it's got a bit of grapefruit flavour which adds to citrus drinks.

I like to make my Hendricks and tonic (or Hendricks & soda) with some cucumber puree instead of lime. I freeze it ahead of time in an icecube tray for easy use.
I do like cucumber with gin and soda. But I hadn't thought to puree it. That would be helpful in getting more of the flavor into the drink.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 22, 2019 at 10:37 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hendricks is different than standard gin. While gin is usually flavored primarily with juniper berries, Hendricks focuses on cucumber.

That said, my go-to gin cocktails are:
  • Martini. I like Plymouth Gin for a martini. Plymouth (a brand and a style) is less junipery than the London Dry gins, which is the most common style.
  • Negroni. A perfect aperitif - equal parts gin, Campari, and sweet vermouth. You have to like a bitter-sweet dichotomy. Be sure to measure the ingredients to ensure you get it right.
  • Gin and tonic. You said you don't like the bitterness of tonic. I like the bitterness of tonic - I don't buy Seagrams/Canada Dry because they are way too sweet. Fever Tree and Q Tonic are good tonic waters for me.
  • Gimlet. Gin and Rose's lime juice. Like lime candy. THough I think I like a vodka gimlet better.
tcl likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Hendricks is different than standard gin. While gin is usually flavored primarily with juniper berries, Hendricks focuses on cucumber.

That said, my go-to gin cocktails are:
  • Martini. I like Plymouth Gin for a martini. Plymouth (a brand and a style) is less junipery than the London Dry gins, which is the most common style.
  • Negroni. A perfect aperitif - equal parts gin, Campari, and sweet vermouth. You have to like a bitter-sweet dichotomy. Be sure to measure the ingredients to ensure you get it right.
  • Gin and tonic. You said you don't like the bitterness of tonic. I like the bitterness of tonic - I don't buy Seagrams/Canada Dry because they are way too sweet. Fever Tree and Q Tonic are good tonic waters for me.
  • Gimlet. Gin and Rose's lime juice. Like lime candy. THough I think I like a vodka gimlet better.
I was stunned we got this far without a martini being mentioned. I like Plymouth in them but also Hendrix or Boodles.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

I was stunned we got this far without a martini being mentioned. I like Plymouth in them but also Hendrix or Boodles.
Ahem! The word "Martini" was included twice in the very first response
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:17 am

And once in the second!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:38 am

Ahem! The word "Martini" was included twice in the very first response
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
And once in the second!
Mea culpa. It was included in the second but I totally missed it. In the first post the phrases “Breakfast martini” and “marmalade martini” were used. These are different from “martini”. I know this partially on first principle and perhaps partially because one night not quite 20 years ago I ordered a “chocolate martini” in a bar in the East Village on the north side of Houston. In my defense I had a number of real martinis before this horrific error. A number like maybe in double digits. And after say 10 or 12 real martinis I wanted some variety. I erred. I erred so badly that I still remember where the bar was in late 2001 and that I had a “chocolate martini”. I’m sure the pain was from that not the previous 10 or 12 real martinis. Or 15.

We will just use the smile emoji. There isn’t one to describe the impact.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
​​​​​I go to a gin bar in sf called Whitechapel that has both new and “vintage” gin cocktails. They’re all great.

It’s pure menu joy. Sadly was last there in March and had to cancel a play date there a month ago.

I had a Dog’s Nose - very ace. Pre-1837. Stout, nutmeg, brown sugar, and “ransom old Tom gin”
just saw that Ransom is a distillery that makes “old Tom gin”
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pseudoswede

No doubt some Kentuckians somewhere are cringing at the thought!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Mea culpa. It was included in the second but I totally missed it. In the first post the phrases “Breakfast martini” and “marmalade martini” were used. These are different from “martini”.
You're right.

But I read the opening post, noted who wrote it and tailored a response accordingly.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:00 am

You're right.

But I read the opening post, noted who wrote it and tailored a response accordingly.
I say once again, mea culpa.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Aug 26, 2019 at 9:42 am Reason: Stupid auto correct doesn’t know Latin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.