Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Business Insider compares Whataburger, In-N-Out, & Shake Shack: Says Whataburger Wins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Insider compares Whataburger, In-N-Out, & Shake Shack: Says Whataburger Wins

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I don't eat traditional hamburgers, but will eat turkey, veggie, and chicken burgers and nearly anything but hamburgers at these places.

Whataburger isn't unique to Texas; we had them in the Phoenix area when I lived there. I'd argue that some of those were better than those here in Texas.

If you're going to be in Texas and want to try burgers, I'd go to a different place such as Hopdoddy. They have a great selection.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I think Shake Shack has the better burger (need to watch my back saying that living in Houston) but the portion sizes leave something to be desired and the price is higher. I can get a combo meal at Whataburger for the price of a single burger at SS, plus I don't like SS's fries. As mentioned above you ideally should eat Whataburger quickly because once it cools off, no bueno... I like In-and-Out though when I'm in California, I haven't been to any of the Texas locations.

I had a great burger and tots for lunch today actually at a liquor store of all places. They have a great little deli area in the back of their main store here where a great burger or sandwich will run you $7.
I agree that Shake Shack is pretty good but needs rework the portion size and fries. It's nice because I can enjoy it if I connect at JFK since they have a location in T4.

I'm just not sure of the amount of praise Whataburger receives. Maybe I should have ordered something besides the standard cheeseburger. It just seemed pretty average with a borderline overwhelming taste of salt and mustard.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by MissJ
I like Shake Shack best of the three. Whataburger is a nice treat every once in a while and I really don't care for In-n-Out. Their fries are just gross IMO. I don't really eat any of them very often, but I'd use a cheat meal for Shake Shack above the others.
Order In-n-Out fries well done to avoid some of that mushiness. It's the inevitable result of using fresh potatoes rather than frozen.

I personally would have put Five Guys in the story mix.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:09 pm

I haven’t been to Shake Shack or Whataburger, but what they view as the best part—getting a ton of food—I consider a minus. I need a 5” burger patty like a hole in the head. I like the fact that I can get a combo at In-N-Out that’s a reasonable amount of food, not something designed for a linebacker who just ran a marathon.

I admit, having grown up on McDonald’s, their fries took getting used to, but I like them now. Also knowing that they were generated recently from that pile of potatoes on the counter counts for something.

I agree they should have included Five Guys.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fwoomp
I haven’t been to Shake Shack or Whataburger, but what they view as the best part—getting a ton of food—I consider a minus. I need a 5” burger patty like a hole in the head. I like the fact that I can get a combo at In-N-Out that’s a reasonable amount of food, not something designed for a linebacker who just ran a marathon.

I admit, having grown up on McDonald’s, their fries took getting used to, but I like them now. Also knowing that they were generated recently from that pile of potatoes on the counter counts for something.

I agree they should have included Five Guys.
Before this goes to "Dining Buzz"...

Why include Five Guys when no location has a Drive-Thru?

They are really not a QSR (Quick Service Restaurant), they are more a Fast Casual, like their sandwich/burger/Ethnic competitors: The Counter, Burger Fi, SmashBurger, Burger21, Shake Shack, Firehouse Subs, Chipotle, Qdoba, Moe's, Panera*, Potbellys, Noodles&Co., Baja Fresh, Blaze Pizza, Boston Market, Jersey Mike’s Subs, Pei Wei Asian Diner, Pita Pit, Which Wich

*-Some Panera locations do have Drive Thru.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm just not sure of the amount of praise Whataburger receives. Maybe I should have ordered something besides the standard cheeseburger. It just seemed pretty average with a borderline overwhelming taste of salt and mustard.
It's all relative I suppose. If I'm feeling indecisive and lazy I'll just get a #1 which isn't great but it gets the job done. *shrug* My favorite thing on the menu is the buffalo chicken strip sandwich, which I think is seasonal. The Patty Melt is also pretty good, but yeah the standard burgers aren't going to hold their ground for very long. I'm not surprised somebody from out of state wouldn't be impressed, I mean, they're not that amazing, it's more just the fact that from a taste and value perspective they're relative good. Honestly the newish McD's Quarter Pounders that are made with the fresh beef are pretty good for what they are and while on the 2/$5 menu make a pretty good value argument vs. some of the other options.

I could launch into a burger ranking of Houston but I doubt that would be of interest to most people here.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by csufabel
Before this goes to "Dining Buzz"...

Why include Five Guys when no location has a Drive-Thru?
Why include Shake Shack when no location has a Drive -Thru? <shrugs>
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Whataburger is delicious. Worth any sort of day trip? No.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: *G
There's no world where I N Out is considered behind those other 2 places
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I wonder why they left out Five Guys? They have the best fries in my opinion.
Two things we have agreed upon in two weeks - very scary!

My British friends were singing the praises of Five Guys - they frequent one in Milton Keynes. I had no idea the franchise was in the U.K.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Whataburger is here in NW Florida. I have tried them twice and my opinion is they are nothing special.

But when I hear the name of the restaurant in my head, it's Hank Hill's voice. And I like that.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The best fast food burger chain that serves green chile on top of the burger is definitely Blake's in NM and AZ.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I think Shake Shack has the better burger (need to watch my back saying that living in Houston) but the portion sizes leave something to be desired and the price is higher. I can get a combo meal at Whataburger for the price of a single burger at SS, plus I don't like SS's fries. As mentioned above you ideally should eat Whataburger quickly because once it cools off, no bueno... I like In-and-Out though when I'm in California, I haven't been to any of the Texas locations.

I had a great burger and tots for lunch today actually at a liquor store of all places. They have a great little deli area in the back of their main store here where a great burger or sandwich will run you $7.
I suspect you're posting of a "package store" (as we Texans used to call them!) with deli in the back. just on the South edge of Plano, a few blocks from my daughter's house off Hillcrest. Their other sandwiches are better'n average, the location's convenient, and the liquor store "group" (family-owned as are ALL liquor stores in Texas under current law) offers good variety, both spirits & wines.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I
Originally Posted by TMOliver
My only gripe at the ratings/comparisons....

Whataburger's burgers and fries are substantially better consumed immediately, on the premises. They do not travel well,. especially the thin meat patties. Equally true? In-N-Out's good contents quickly dissolve into unappealing mush.

Don't expect "take out" , other than fried chicken to hold its quality.
Completely agreed. I love Whataburger, and oh those Whatarings...and I might or might not have done a day trip for them at some point in the past. I’m one who will take Whataburger over In n Out anyday. Like others, I don’t see Five Guys or Shake Shack as true comparisons.

(Also in before the move...)
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Never been. They are everywhere here in TX including gas station locations (24 hours). Like AZtim said they were in phx too.

Every time I see a Whataburger I think of Bobby Hill lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.