Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Business Insider compares Whataburger, In-N-Out, & Shake Shack: Says Whataburger Wins

Business Insider compares Whataburger, In-N-Out, & Shake Shack: Says Whataburger Wins

Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR

What do you think? I may try it out one day on a trip to the area.

We compared In-N-Out, Shake Shack, and Texas favorite Whataburger — and the winner is clear
https://www.businessinsider.com/in-n...r-chain-2019-1

Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
If the "winner" is Whatasaltyburger, then the reviewers have no sophisticated palate of any kind.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:46 am
Suspended

I haven't tried Whataburger. Between In n out & shake shack, IMHO Shake Shack has better burger however it's more expensive than in n out.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
My only gripe at the ratings/comparisons....

Whataburger's burgers and fries are substantially better consumed immediately, on the premises. They do not travel well,. especially the thin meat patties. Equally true? In-N-Out's good contents quickly dissolve into unappealing mush.

Don't expect "take out" , other than fried chicken to hold its quality.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
How timely - a thread about 'hamberders'.

FWIW, I think most any burger is improved with the addition of good green chile.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Green chile on a burger is definitely a winner.

Naturally the small mom and pop burger places in New Mexico have the best green chile cheeseburgers, but Lotaburger and to a lesser extent Whataburger have good green chile cheeseburgers for chain restaurants.

I wouldnt dare order a chile cheeseburger outside of New Mexico or maybe Arizona, for fear of the place putting that nasty bean chili on my burger instead of the chile plant variety.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
How timely - a thread about 'hamberders'.

FWIW, I think most any burger is improved with the addition of good green chile.
At In-N-Out I always get chopped Chile's on my Double, Double, Animal Style, Extra Toast. I like the In-N-Out fries well done too.

Whataburger has it's own place in the burger world. Different from others but still good. I think of a standard Whataburger hamburger to compare with burgers you got 30 years ago. Some of their specialty burgers are pretty good too. I only have a burger about ever 3 months or so making me a causal observer on the burger front.

Gordon Ramsey's Burger Bar at Planet Hollywood, Las Vegas puts out a nice burger too, but the price might put you off your feed.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jan 15, 2019 at 7:56 pm
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:02 pm

I like Shake Shack best of the three. Whataburger is a nice treat every once in a while and I really don't care for In-n-Out. Their fries are just gross IMO. I don't really eat any of them very often, but I'd use a cheat meal for Shake Shack above the others.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83

Naturally the small mom and pop burger places in New Mexico have the best green chile cheeseburgers, but Lotaburger and to a lesser extent Whataburger have good green chile cheeseburgers for chain restaurants.

I wouldnt dare order a chile cheeseburger outside of New Mexico or maybe Arizona, for fear of the place putting that nasty bean chili on my burger instead of the chile plant variety.
Freshly roasted New Mexico Hatch green chile - yum!

Also great on pizza.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I tried it for the first time on my last trip to Austin in November. It was ok, nothing impressive.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMOliver
My only gripe at the ratings/comparisons....

Whataburger's burgers and fries are substantially better consumed immediately, on the premises. They do not travel well,. especially the thin meat patties. Equally true? In-N-Out's good contents quickly dissolve into unappealing mush.

Don't expect "take out" , other than fried chicken to hold its quality.
I'm not sure that their fries are good at any time as they seem more undercooked than In-n-Out's normal* version. Everything else you said is spot on. I think their two best menu items are breakfast taquitos and whichever promotional burger or chicken sandwich on the menu at the given time.

*-Not ordering well done at the counter
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think whataburger are probably marginally better than the other two......
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I wonder why they left out Five Guys? They have the best fries in my opinion.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83

Only places I've had green chili cheeseburgers in AZ (other than at home) are at the Painted Desert Diner (at Petrified Forest National Park's north entrance) and Mr. Maesta's in Holbrook. I'm sure there are others, especially in/around Springerville and Safford.

Every Subway® I've been to in NM offers green chilis as a topping.

Freshly roasted New Mexico Hatch green chile - yum!

Also great on pizza.
I told the manager at the newly-opened Little Caesars in Holbrook they should offer green chilis as a topping; she thought it was a good idea but said I would have to suggest it to corporate. I'm almost certain they have them at the Gallup, NM location.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by annerj
I think whataburger are probably marginally better than the other two......
I think Shake Shack has the better burger (need to watch my back saying that living in Houston) but the portion sizes leave something to be desired and the price is higher. I can get a combo meal at Whataburger for the price of a single burger at SS, plus I don't like SS's fries. As mentioned above you ideally should eat Whataburger quickly because once it cools off, no bueno... I like In-and-Out though when I'm in California, I haven't been to any of the Texas locations.

I had a great burger and tots for lunch today actually at a liquor store of all places. They have a great little deli area in the back of their main store here where a great burger or sandwich will run you $7.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.