Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Food (or retail) items that are no more or Where's the Wheaties??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food (or retail) items that are no more or Where's the Wheaties??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by BamaVol

Dandruff would be another description. Neither is appetizing.
Speaking of dandruff... how about Protein 21 Shampoo. "Beat the Frizzies"
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by anrkitec
Perhaps, but with a reported ~80% drop in sales over the last decade, one wonders just how eager General Mills is to get them back on store shelves.
Yea. He might need to switch over to Kellogg's Product 19.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA back down to Blue, PC Plat
PLJ lime juice has become almost impossible to find, post re-packaging - despite or because of? Don't know. Have to try online sources now, many of which are rip-offs. We have two (adult) diabetic children, both fans of Velvet Crunch, also disappeared soon after a makeover. Wife was devoted to Baxters' beetroot pickle. It started disappearing from shops - we bought some at Baxters' factory shop in Forres, reduced because of short best-before date. We said 'hope you're not discontinuing this'' staff said 'no, not to worry' - as we got to the car, we thought we should buy some more, and when we did, the story came out - yes, they had stopped production.

Airline comparison coming up (sorry!) - I don't think that all these lines were unprofitable, necessarily, in the same way as airlines (I'm looking at you, Flybe, and Loganair) cancel routes that might have been doing just about OK but where they think that deploying the production capacity elsewhere might make more money. We can probably all share anecdotes where routes have been killed off by timetable or pricing changes so that others can supplant them. If you constrain supply then sales will go down - and then you can justify killing off the product.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA
I've never completely gotten over the disappearance of Stouffer's Noodles Romanoff. I still look for it sometimes, hoping Stouffer's has changed its mind and brought it back.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by GB
Space Food Sticks
I was going to say that! I tried explaining them to my kid recently, and he just couldn't grasp that kids back in the day would eat something that looked and smelled like poo just because astronauts allegedly ate them.

Also, Dove switched from making dishwashing liquid, which they were good at, to making shampoo and conditioner, which they are very bad at.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by CDTraveler

Also, Dove switched from making dishwashing liquid, which they were good at, to making shampoo and conditioner, which they are very bad at.
Mrs. BamaVol continues to purchase and use their bar soap and would be upset if it disappeared from shelves. She has found no other comparable product. And I would add their shower gel to your list of products they are not good at.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by cubbie
I've never completely gotten over the disappearance of Stouffer's Noodles Romanoff. I still look for it sometimes, hoping Stouffer's has changed its mind and brought it back.
Yes, those were good.

What I'd love to see is a return of the boil in the bag Stouffer's pasta dishes. So much better than the .microwavable trays.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by work2fly
Yes, those were good.

What I'd love to see is a return of the boil in the bag Stouffer's pasta dishes. So much better than the .microwavable trays.
I used to have a weakness for their creamed chipped beef boil in the bag product. Haven't looked for it in years.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I used to have a weakness for their creamed chipped beef boil in the bag product. Haven't looked for it in years.
My personal Stouffer's product that's disappeared is the Cheese Tortellini accentuated with Peas and Ham. I'd by the boxes by the dozen when they went on sale.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:17 am

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
Stella D Oro Egg Biscuits. Anyone else remember those? They were round with scalloped edges and had a hole in their center.
They had a rather crunchy exterior and were not overly sweet, I like to have one ( or two) with my breakfast coffee.

They were discontinued years ago.

For a while there were also Stella DOro Roman Egg Biscuits, but they were not the same as the ones I liked.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by east_of_the_sun
Stella D Oro Egg Biscuits. Anyone else remember those? They were round with scalloped edges and had a hole in their center.
They had a rather crunchy exterior and were not overly sweet, I like to have one ( or two) with my breakfast coffee.

They were discontinued years ago.

For a while there were also Stella DOro Roman Egg Biscuits, but they were not the same as the ones I liked.
I do vaguely recall them. Stella D'Oro products were a staple in my home growing up, primarily breakfast treats and anise flavored toast. My father mispronounced them as Stella D'Oreo, but my mother knew what to buy.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by GB
Space Food Sticks
Yea that was awesome energy food... in a stick. Tootsie Roll had the chocolate flavor.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was a panic in the BamaVol home as Publix ran out or stopped carrying General Mills Oatmeal Crisp with Almonds cereal. It's about the only thing my wife eats for breakfast. After about 3 weeks without, I discovered them in the corner of the bottom cereal shelf at Walmart. I am now forced to enter their building once every 2 weeks to buy a couple boxes and check out as quickly as possible before I get cooties. I will probably switch to ordering on line in larger quantities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.