Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seriously? "Jack and Diet Dr Pepper." Is that even a thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seriously? "Jack and Diet Dr Pepper." Is that even a thing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
About 10 years ago a friend of mine invited 2 mutual, very close friends of ours over to his house for dinner. He wasn't home at the time and told them how to get in the house and to make themselves at home and he would meet them. Meanwhile, not being aware of this I asked him to join a group of us for a dinner in Manhattan. He sort of forgot about his guests and joined us.

So he gets a text from these guys saying, where are you? He says dreadfully sorry, something came up, make yourself at home. So they sent him a few pictures of them cooking in his kitchen and all seems well. Then they found a mostly full bottle of Springbanks Chieftains. And they start sending him pictures of them drinking that. And they kept sending pictures until it was gone and they were very well lit and he was pretty despondent. His forgetfulness cost him about a grand.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:36 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JBord
I wasn't judging the drinking, just the waste of mixing an expensive McCallan's. Hopefully that was the talking-to.
Ha! Exactly
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
Apparently Dr. Pepper is the 2nd most popular thing to mix with whiskey. It's called a Dr. Jack
Perhaps in some weird subculture of the world.

I would assume water is number one, then Coke or Soda water.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
Perhaps in some weird subculture of the world.

I would assume water is number one, then Coke or Soda water.
I would guess Coke, then virtually every other type of flavored soda (Dr. Pepper, 7Up, Ginger Ale, Sprite, etc.) before either water or soda water.

While I love a simple classic cocktail or straight up liquor, the reality is they're just not that popular these days. I think it's a safe bet that the average 20-something consumes more whiskey (mixed with a soft drink) in a bar or nightclub on a Saturday night than I do in a week. And they're not mixing with water.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:01 pm

I would guess Coke, then virtually every other type of flavored soda (Dr. Pepper, 7Up, Ginger Ale, Sprite, etc.) before either water or soda water.

While I love a simple classic cocktail or straight up liquor, the reality is they're just not that popular these days. I think it's a safe bet that the average 20-something consumes more whiskey (mixed with a soft drink) in a bar or nightclub on a Saturday night than I do in a week. And they're not mixing with water.
There's a lot more to the world than 20 year olds in a bar in one particular country.

I also think far more whisky gets consumed in residences than bars.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

There's a lot more to the world than 20 year olds in a bar in one particular country.

Speaking of which, I think tomorrow is Whisky Day. I won't be adding soft drinks but I may have a "wee dram".
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Speaking of which, I think tomorrow is Whisky Day. I won't be adding soft drinks but I may have a "wee dram".
Excellent. I think I will start preparing a day in advance !

PS-just looked on wikipedia and it claims world Whisky Day is 3rd Saturday in May. Your date sounds more convenient though!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Excellent. I think I will start preparing a day in advance !

PS-just looked on wikipedia and it claims world Whisky Day is 3rd Saturday in May. Your date sounds more convenient though!
Well, there should be more than one. And you are correct, mine is vastly more convenient.

More than I could have imagined. The one in May is International Whisky Day. The one tomorrow is Scotch Whisky Day. Which, since I don't have any bourbon in the house (although I think I have a bottle of Bullet Rye) but I have several Scotch Whiskies that's just super.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Well, there should be more than one. And you are correct, mine is vastly more convenient.

More than I could have imagined. The one in May is International Whisky Day. The one tomorrow is Scotch Whisky Day. Which, since I don't have any bourbon in the house (although I think I have a bottle of Bullet Rye) but I have several Scotch Whiskies that's just super.

Hmm...so it turns out then that Scotch Whisky Day=our wedding anniversary date. Good news for me...but not for Mrs Mapleg who is not a Scotch fancier.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Hmm...so it turns out then that Scotch Whisky Day=our wedding anniversary date. Good news for me...but not for Mrs Mapleg who is not a Scotch fancier.
Well, congratulations to both of you!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Meanwhile, I can't get that old song out of my head. ♫Drink Jack and Diet Dr. Pepper, the joy of every boy and girl, it's the most original non-soft drink ever in the whole wide world ... ♫
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:35 am

Correct, there are 20 year olds in many bars all around the world. I still suspect there are many more young people around the world who are not attuned to the finer whiskeys, whiskys, bourbons, etc. and are mixing them.

I'm obviously just positing an extreme extrapolation of personal observations, and although I've traveled extensively, I live in a city that is known for it's pub/tavern culture, so that plays a part in my observation.

I tried googling a few different things to see if I could get any facts one way or the other but came up empty. Your statement about residences vs. bars, in particular, caught my attention and now I really want to know which it is!

It would also be interesting to see how much of the cheap, rotgut whiskey is consumed vs. the better ones. That may provide a clue as to how often it's mixed with a flavored soda.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Correct, there are 20 year olds in many bars all around the world. I still suspect there are many more young people around the world who are not attuned to the finer whiskeys, whiskys, bourbons, etc. and are mixing them.
Today I enjoy fine alcohol straight but when I was 20 my tastes were different. I drank sweet mixed drinks regularly. I totally would've tried a Jack and Diet Dr. Pepper. Though given the reality of my budget at age 20 I probably would have substituted something cheaper than Jack.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:40 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Though given the reality of my budget at age 20 I probably would have substituted something cheaper than Jack.
In the shot & beer type places where I tended bar, that meant you'd be drinking Coke or Dr Pepper & 5 Star whiskey, 5 Star was the rot gut.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Today I enjoy fine alcohol straight but when I was 20 my tastes were different. I drank sweet mixed drinks regularly. I totally would've tried a Jack and Diet Dr. Pepper. Though given the reality of my budget at age 20 I probably would have substituted something cheaper than Jack.
Exactly..."whiskey and coke, please". We only ordered "Jack" when we wanted to impress others with our fancy whiskey order.

Now, in my 40's, can't remember when I last bought a bottle of the stuff. I do have a bottle of mixing whiskey on hand for company, but it's a cheaper, not bad, brand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.