Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seriously? "Jack and Diet Dr Pepper." Is that even a thing?

Seriously? "Jack and Diet Dr Pepper." Is that even a thing?

Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
wasn't that a thing in college? Everclear punch parties, where someone who worked in the school cafeteria would grab some punch concentrate, then we'd mix that in a garbage bag with whatever hard liquor one could find along with a bag of ice, Everclear being the most cost effective. I seem to recall parties like that, at least I think I remember
Well you were smarter than us. You used concentrate to cut the Everclear. We tried Koolaide powder since we wanted to keep the alcohol percent stupidly high. There were two problems as I recall, well at least two but let's go with two for the sake of argument. First, there wasn't enough water in the Everclear to dissolve the Koolaide powder completely and second, flavoring Everclear doesn't get rid of the burn. At 190 proof it's the desiccation not the lack of flavor that does things like dehydrate and probably kill your cells. So it burns like hell to try to drink it straight plus it has clumps of Koolaide powder in it. Now, lighting it on fire then drinking it helps believe it or not but throwing burning alcohol around one's face has its own inherent problems.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Well you were smarter than us. You used concentrate to cut the Everclear. We tried Koolaide powder since we wanted to keep the alcohol percent stupidly high. There were two problems as I recall, well at least two but let's go with two for the sake of argument. First, there wasn't enough water in the Everclear to dissolve the Koolaide powder completely and second, flavoring Everclear doesn't get rid of the burn. At 190 proof it's the desiccation not the lack of flavor that does things like dehydrate and probably kill your cells. So it burns like hell to try to drink it straight plus it has clumps of Koolaide powder in it. Now, lighting it on fire then drinking it helps believe it or not but throwing burning alcohol around one's face has its own inherent problems.
wasn't that a thing in college? Everclear punch parties, where someone who worked in the school cafeteria would grab some punch concentrate, then we'd mix that in a garbage bag with whatever hard liquor one could find along with a bag of ice, Everclear being the most cost effective. I seem to recall parties like that, at least I think I remember
I recall the best/worst punch recipe from college being Everclear, Country Time lemonade powder, and a cheap beer to cut it. Stir thoroughly! Powdered clumps should not be part of the deal.

Back on topic, a cheap bourbon with a sweet diet soda isn't great, but in a high-volume bar or club you aren't going to get much better unless you take your whiskey unadulterated (and I don't ).
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JBord
Yeah, there was some weird made up name for the punch too, which I of course can't recall 25 years later.
We called them "Hairy Buffalo" parties, for no reason that I can recall. Is that it?

We also put a bunch of fruit pieces in the bag, to eat once the liquid was gone. Wicked after being soaked in the Everclear...
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
We called them "Hairy Buffalo" parties, for no reason that I can recall. Is that it?

We also put a bunch of fruit pieces in the bag, to eat once the liquid was gone. Wicked after being soaked in the Everclear...
I think it was wapatuli or something like that. And sometimes there was fruit in it, not sure if that changed it to hairy buffalo ,
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Just because people do it doesn't make it right. I mean when I was younger we tried mixing Koolaid powder in 190 proof Everclear but it was wrong.
When it comes to personal drink preferences, there is no right or wrong.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:01 pm

Just because people do it doesn't make it right. I mean when I was younger we tried mixing Koolaid powder in 190 proof Everclear but it was wrong.
We used to put jolly ranchers into anything we could get our hands on. Ironically, I don't think I've eaten one in almost 20 years.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schmoove
When it comes to personal drink preferences, there is no right or wrong.
I beg to disagree. 190 proof alchohol and Koolaide powder is wrong. And I would say the only people who would disagree with me on that are people smart enough not to have tried it (unlike me). It literally does physical damage. I've tried beer with a couple shots of Bacardi 151 in it and I would call that, well, perhaps overly enthusiastic. But 190 proof grain alcohol and Koolaide powder is wrong.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I say if you are paying for your own drinks, order them the way you like.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Apparently Dr. Pepper is the 2nd most popular thing to mix with whiskey. It's called a Dr. Jack
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
My brother doesn't drink but frequently gets gifts of alcohol. Some years back his son, while in high school, filched a bottle of 15- or 18-year-old McCallan and drank it with his friends. They mixed it with Dr. Pepper.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Rebelyell
My brother doesn't drink but frequently gets gifts of alcohol. Some years back his son, while in high school, filched a bottle of 15- or 18-year-old McCallan and drank it with his friends. They mixed it with Dr. Pepper.
Ugh...I hope his punishment was to pay back the retail value!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Well, at least it wasn't the 1937. I think the fact that they were 15 is a testament to Dr. Pepper and whiskey (or whisky in this case).
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by JBord
Ugh...I hope his punishment was to pay back the retail value!
Permissive parent. Got a talking to.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

That's a capital offense in many jurisdictions.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:10 pm

Permissive parent. Got a talking to.
I wasn't judging the drinking, just the waste of mixing an expensive McCallan's. Hopefully that was the talking-to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.