Search

Jack in the Box - tacos??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Jack in the Box - tacos??

Saw this in my WSJ feed:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/american...why-1483465285

Will anyone here confess to eating a Jack in the Box taco? This is the absolute first time I've learned that they even have tacos. If I go there it is usually for a Sourdough burger. Just curious as to the appeal...

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Jan 5, 2017 at 1:32 am
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I've probably eaten 100 of them in my lifetime, though not in the past 3-4 years. 2 for a buck, and easy to eat while driving. They're not a "taco" any more than a Taco Bell taco is a "taco", but they are decent in their own way.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:12 pm

been eating them for 40 years , and really they are terrible but cheap !

I guess it started as a cheap eat and continues as a quick cheap eat if you are on the road

I now go for cheap burritos at Del Taco or Taco bell over a cheap burger or Jack tacos
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:31 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by WSJ
“I was like, ‘I must have more. This is vile and amazing,’”
Exactly.

My other favorite quote from the article is

Originally Posted by WSJ
"when it comes to Jack in the Box tacos, there are two kinds of people: those who think they’re disgusting and those who agree they’re disgusting but are powerless to resist them."
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:35 pm

Nothing in the world like a brace of greasy Jack in the Box tacos when you are 24 and [inebriated]. I'm way over that, thanks be to God.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jan 5, 2017 at 7:15 am Reason: Redacted due to violation of FT Rules regarding profanity.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I had them for the first time the other day. They were better than I expected, actually, which is a pretty low bar. I'd probably order them again if I happened to go to a Jack in the Box (which admittedly isn't often considering how many other options there typically are).
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I was quite surprised at the JITB menu the first time I entered one: tacos, burgers, fried chicken. I don't think any of it was special.

I realized that Jack was a good descriptor, as in jack of all trades, master of none. Substitute foods for trades.

I used to stop in periodically, though to update the jack-head for my car antenna. I'm thinking they don't do them anymore with so few cars having the proper sort of antenna.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:18 pm

I will freely admit to eating them. I grew up with them and they are a guilty pleasure. I have them about once a year.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I saw the same article and enjoyed it

I drunk ate them occasionally in college. I don't think I've even been to a Jack in the Box since college...
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I saw the same article and enjoyed it
Me too, even though I've never visited one. We don't have many here in the midwest and I've never considered it when traveling in the West.

But I have to say I immediately Googled it to see a picture, and although they looked greasy, it didn't look terrible and I would definitely try one now after reading the article.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:23 am
Original Poster

I'll try one when I visit the US next month, presuming they have them where I'm going. I can't say I am expecting a whole lot, but my curiosity has certainly been peaked.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Many years ago when I was in college, a friend had a night job at a Jack in the Box and we got into the habit of going there for late-night tacos. After what might have been several months someone asked Matt how many tacos he ate at work. He responded that he never ate the tacos because he knew what was in them. Why hadn't he mentioned this to us earlier? Because we never asked.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I'll try one when I visit the US next month, presuming they have them where I'm going. I can't say I am expecting a whole lot, but my curiosity has certainly been peaked.
Brave and probably foolhardy.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Brave and probably foolhardy.
Probably so, but it will be a fast-food fiesta for us that week anyway. The kids love American style fast food, and I have to admit, it is sort of a weakness.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
Nothing in the world like a brace of greasy Jack in the Box tacos when you are 24 and shitte-faced drunk.
I preferred White Castle. (Full disclosure: I also have no qualms eating sliders while stone-cold sober, too.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.