Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Jack in the Box - tacos??

Jack in the Box - tacos??

Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: *G
they are perversely appealing. however, it is absolutely necessary to slather that oily mess with hot sauce.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
In our small little wine country town there is a Jack in the Box. Once a year, one gets the craving for the tacos, then about a few hours later gallons of water.

In college, I drunk ate Krystals, so much better than White Castle. And, with all this confessing, I have even routed myself via CLT to enjoy a Krystal. It has been years since I have gone to that extreme, and not sure if they are still at CLT.

Last edited by sonomawine; Jan 5, 2017 at 11:18 am
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by sonomawine
In our small little wine country town there is a Jack in the Box. Once a year, one gets the craving for the tacos, then about a few hours later gallons of water.

In college, I drunk ate Krystal's, so much better than White Castle. And, with all this confessing, I have even routed myself via CLT to enjoy a Krystal. It has been years since I have gone to that extreme, and not sure if they are still at CLT.
Krystal is HQ'd in Chattanooga, I believe. I can't imagine them abandoning a market that close by. They seem to do well everywhere I've lived in the southeast. I can't recall seeing a store close, although I imagine they all spontaneously combust when the grease builds up past a certain point.

I was surprised to find Jack in the Box move into the Charlotte market while I lived there back around the turn of the century. I had only seen them out west prior to that and have not seen them elsewhere in the southeast.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I was surprised to find Jack in the Box move into the Charlotte market while I lived there back around the turn of the century. I had only seen them out west prior to that and have not seen them elsewhere in the southeast.
Well, so much for my plan to eat a Jack taco on my trip to Florida - no locations at all in that state, hard as that is to believe. No worries though, I will get one in KC.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:54 am

In college, I drunk ate Krystal's, so much better than White Castle. And, with all this confessing, I have even routed myself via CLT to enjoy a Krystal. It has been years since I have gone to that extreme, and not sure if they are still at CLT.
A Krystals in CLT? If they're anything like White Castle, having one in an airport seems like a terrible idea. I know I won't eat White Castle the day of or before a flight, I love those things, but I do not ever want to have to take a dump in an airport lav.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Well, so much for my plan to eat a Jack taco on my trip to Florida - no locations at all in that state, hard as that is to believe. No worries though, I will get one in KC.
No one can eat "just one"

and do not ask what is in the secret sauce on the burgers......
OHH I looked it up .....Ketchup bumped Jack's signature special sauce from the burger in 1999, but due to guests' demands, special sauce is still available on request
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by t325
A Krystals in CLT? .
Just looked it up and no more Krystals in CLT and the one in ATL is now closed!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Just looked it up and no more Krystals in CLT and the one in ATL is now closed!
The only NC location appears to be Murphy, which is a small town in the mountains that is well worth a visit, even if there wasn't a Krystal there.

I'm a little surprised at Charlotte as I can't think of an alternative to Krystal there. Maybe JITB drove them away.

Lots of Krystals in the metro Atlanta area, just none at the airport.

Jack in the Box expansion east of the Mississippi appears to be focused on a few medium to large cities and they don't seem to be in a big hurry. They may be looking for the right franchisee and not bothering if they don't find one.

Last edited by BamaVol; Jan 5, 2017 at 11:34 am
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Didn't know JITB had tacos, but then again, I've never lived anywhere there was one and never went there when traveling.

I did just find out 2 days ago that Burger King sells hot dogs. Not sure how long that's been going on...
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by EricH
He responded that he never ate the tacos because he knew what was in them. Why hadn't he mentioned this to us earlier? Because we never asked.
Always worth mentioning: Ralston Purina owned Jack in the Box.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Always worth mentioning: Ralston Purina owned Jack in the Box.
Did not know that, but years ago the envelopes the tacos come in had a very small Purina logo on them.

Side note, years before I had a JITB taco, circa 1969, I had identical ones at the snack shack at the community college pool where I took swimming lessons. Years later, when taking classes at another JC, they had the same exact tacos in the cafeteria and sold zillions of them.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are disgusting but also a cheap, guilty pleasure. They in no way resemble a real taco...the cheese is American slices and the meat is some pressed together god-knows-what and the grease comes through the taco shell in globs. I think they are 2 for 99cents sometimes and once in a while I just have to have one.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by corky
They are disgusting but also a cheap, guilty pleasure. They in no way resemble a real taco...the cheese is American slices and the meat is some pressed together god-knows-what and the grease comes through the taco shell in globs. I think they are 2 for 99cents sometimes and once in a while I just have to have one.
This. Also, the "meat" is artificial and comes not from an animal.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
This. Also, the "meat" is artificial and comes not from an animal.
Does that mean they are vegetarian??
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
They are disgusting but also a cheap, guilty pleasure.
There are very few things that are uniformly accepted as disgusting but yet have such widespread appeal. In fact, other than maybe a White Castle, I can't even think of another. I guess that is why I am determined to try one. In fact, maybe I'll start another thread: "Foods that are absolutely disgusting. Please give me five and a diet coke!"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.