Wiki Posts
Search

Lasagne - Order of Layers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Italian-American Lasagne noodles are 3/12-4in wide flat pasta with curly edges.
The term Lasagne is used for both the noodle and the dish. I did not realize there was such a difference in what is called Lasagne here and across the pond until I started digging into this. I think you can find the large flat sheets of pasta at specialty shops, but lasagne in America anyways is seen as more of a homestyle comfort food, and specialty food kind of don't fit it's image.

Keep in mind ricotta itself is different over here. For us it comes in containers like oversized yogurt tubs. Yes you can find real ricotta too now, but most people automatically thin the stuff in tubs. That may be why it is viewed more as a special dish in Europe and a home style dish in the US.
The curly-edged version is way too thick for my taste. The boxed "no pre-cook" pasta is better, and while in narrower widths and not a large flat sheet, it doesn't really matter since they get incorporated into the dish in any case, and then then cut into pieces when serving. When I make my own the same thing results, since my pasta maker is about the same width as the boxed flat lasagne.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
That may be why it is viewed more as a special dish in Europe ...
I don't think so. It's comfort food in Europe too. There's nothing fancy in throwing meat sauce, béchamel and layers of pasta together and putting it in the oven for 20 minutes.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:56 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I don't think so. It's comfort food in Europe too. There's nothing fancy in throwing meat sauce, béchamel and layers of pasta together and putting it in the oven for 20 minutes.
Yup, in the UK, lasagne, chips and garlic bread* is a popular pub carbfest.

The horsemeat version is a popular frozen meal.

* It's the future.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by stut

* It's the future.
Lasagne and chips? That is an unusual combination.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Looks like an "old" England & New England rivalry has started again :P
That sure is one carb heavy meal but I can see the allure during or after a night of heavy drinking.

Originally Posted by stut

* It's the future.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA
This thread got me interested in making some lasagna today. I'm wondering about the several posts saying that the two sauces should be placed together between layers of noodles. My past experience is that this makes them blend into one during cooking and makes the noodles slide around more. What about alternating: meat sauce, pasta, bechemel/ricotta, pasta, meat sauce, pasta, bechemel/ricotta, pasta, meat sauce?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I think people should start making lasagnas, posting a photo(s) and commenting on their method.

I think the blending depends on how thick/thin the sauces are. I tend to go for a thicker bechamel and a light but not thin meat sauce. It also depends how much sauce and what noodles you're using for the layering. They blend a bit but the flavors are distinguishable.

Originally Posted by cubbie
This thread got me interested in making some lasagna today. I'm wondering about the several posts saying that the two sauces should be placed together between layers of noodles. My past experience is that this makes them blend into one during cooking and makes the noodles slide around more. What about alternating: meat sauce, pasta, bechemel/ricotta, pasta, meat sauce, pasta, bechemel/ricotta, pasta, meat sauce?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by cubbie
Blending is a bad thing?

I actually like how the meat sauce blends a bit with the ricotta. Separate layers of ricotta and sauce to me doesn't really make a new dish - may as well just have ziti with meat sauce and ricotta in that case. The trick for Ricotta, btw, is to drop a large number of small dollops over the noodle or sauce, so that you don't have to force it around so much.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I think people should start making lasagnas,
Impossible. I'm trying to lose weight (thank you Christmas/ NYE feasts) and pasta is currently of the menu.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:33 pm

I didn't say you had to eat it

I made a vegetable noodle "lasagna" today as part of my New Years diet but then my neighbor called and invited me over for steaks so off I go to that :P

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Impossible. I'm trying to lose weight (thank you Christmas/ NYE feasts) and pasta is currently of the menu.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:43 pm

I didn't say you had to eat it
If there's Lasagna, I'm going to eat it.

I made a vegetable noodle "lasagna" today as part of my New Years diet but then my neighbor called and invited me over for steaks so off I go to that :P
I don't have an issue with the meat in the lasagna, but the pasta itself. Has lots of additional calories I would've to burn thru.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Italian-American Lasagne noodles are 3/12-4in wide flat pasta with curly edges.
The term Lasagne is used for both the noodle and the dish. I did not realize there was such a difference in what is called Lasagne here and across the pond until I started digging into this. I think you can find the large flat sheets of pasta at specialty shops, but lasagne in America anyways is seen as more of a homestyle comfort food, and specialty food kind of don't fit it's image.

Keep in mind ricotta itself is different over here. For us it comes in containers like oversized yogurt tubs. Yes you can find real ricotta too now, but most people automatically thin the stuff in tubs. That may be why it is viewed more as a special dish in Europe and a home style dish in the US.
Thanks for the insight into lasagne on the otherside of the pond. I've just searched on google images and I can see why they're called noodles now! I think I've seen them in a supermarket, but overwhelmingly it's the wider and completely flat sheets that you get here. You can get fresh lasagne sheets in supermarkets as well but I don't bother with those as they can be a bit of a faff and also they don't keep if you buy too much. Pre-packaged fresh pasta is quite a big thing over here and most supermarkets will stock a good variety. This is despite it not being very traditionally Italian, as I understand it.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:50 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's pub food, which is effectively "x and chips" (chips being thick fries, of course...)
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:11 pm

order of lasagna

pasta, meat sauce, cheese, bechamel

repeat.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
The only lasagna I really like is my own.
1) olive oil in the bottom of a heavy deep roasting dish- not a glass baking dish
2) good quality dried (flat) lasagna noodles boiled till just a bit soft in heavily salted water with a bit of olive oil, drained and laid flat (the olive oil in the cooking water will prevent sticking)
3) mixture of good whole milk ricotta, freshly grated granna (no need to use Reggianno in this- just make sure it is good quality granna and grate it fresh) and freshly grated whole milk Mozzarella (I like Polly-O or Trader Joe's but it MUST be whole milk and not the packaged pre-shredded stuff) mixed with egg, parsley, fresh ground pepper, a pinch of cayenne, and some nutmeg
4) Bolognese sauce
5) Mornay sauce made with freshly grated granna
6) lots of freshly grated granna (and you can use the good stuff here) for topping

Layer as you like-but the pasta goes down first in the prepped roasting pan and a good layer of the Mornay sauce is the top layer.

Cover pan with parchment and foil

It goes IMMEDIATELY into a preheated oven- no letting it sit about

When almost done uncover, sprinkle with granna and raise the heat to get a nice top crust . let rest a bit (but only a bit- 20 minutes max) out of the oven. And serve.

Yes- it is a LOT of work and it is expensive. But I only make it once or twice a year. It is a celebratory dish rather than a cheap easy meal.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Jan 14, 2017 at 5:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.