Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How much should a cookie recipe cost to make?

Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

OMG. I decided to make a rolled butter cookie that needed raw pistachios.

Impossible to find anything other then shell on. Spent almost $20 on the blasted things. Then spent 3 hours shelling them.

Never again.

Last edited by milepig; Dec 17, 2016 at 7:41 pm
Old Dec 17, 2016, 6:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
a) I've never been in any grocery that didn't have a large selection of bagged nuts.

b) If the store didn't have bagged and shelled raw pecans, I would switch the nuts to something the store did have.

c) If the store had no bagged raw nuts that were acceptable, I'd change recipes.

Even with a power sheller and paper-thin pecans, it's a tedious and labor-intensive process (which is why they're so expensive).

How'd the cookies taste?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
a) I've never been in any grocery that didn't have a large selection of bagged nuts.

b) If the store didn't have bagged and shelled raw pecans, I would switch the nuts to something the store did have.

c) If the store had no bagged raw nuts that were acceptable, I'd change recipes.

Even with a power sheller and paper-thin pecans, it's a tedious and labor-intensive process (which is why they're so expensive).

How'd the cookies taste?
Autocorrect hit. It was raw pistachios. Now corrected. The dough is still chilling in the fridge.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
OMG. I decided to make a rolled butter cookie that needed raw pistachios.

Impossible to find anything other then shell on. Spent almost $20 on the blasted things. Then spent 3 hours shelling them.

Never again.
Is there an Indian grocery near you?

IME you can get pistachios much cheaper in an Indian grocery than in a conventional American market.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now baked. Perfectly normal short bread, and the King's ransom of pistachios brings nothing to the party. Live and learn.

Last edited by milepig; Dec 20, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can probably also get them cheaper in mediterranean/middle eastern markets. I think even trader joes may have bags of pistachio pieces at a reasonable price.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Only half as bad, my wife is trying a cookie recipe that calls for 1/4 tsp of cardamom, we had to buy a 3 oz jar for just under $10. I hope we find other uses for it because we'll have a lot left.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djk7
Only half as bad, my wife is trying a cookie recipe that calls for 1/4 tsp of cardamom, we had to buy a 3 oz jar for just under $10. I hope we find other uses for it because we'll have a lot left.
It's good in pumpkin pies and coffee.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Indian food!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Cardamom is amazing in:

Coffee/chai tea
Pastries
Cookies/cake/pies
Curry
Fried rice/biryani
Stir fries
Old Dec 22, 2016, 3:50 pm

Cardamom is awesome in coffee cakes. Sometimes I make a peach coffee cake with it, great for holiday breakfasts!

Originally Posted by milepig
Now baked. Perfectly normal short bread, and the King's ransom of pistachios brings nothing to the party. Live and learn.
You mentioned "raw" I think. While I buy nuts in their raw state, I never bake with them raw. A light toasting greatly improves the flavor, especially if you adding them to something subtle, like shortbread.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler

You mentioned "raw" I think. While I buy nuts in their raw state, I never bake with them raw. A light toasting greatly improves the flavor, especially if you adding them to something subtle, like shortbread.
Seemed odd to me as well. The dough was rolled in them, so they were on the outside and I guess toasted while the cookies were basting. It was the raw that were hard to find.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:04 am

I made cookies the other day with plenty of cream cheese peppermint frosting left over. Purchased peppermint extract for the cookies with plenty left.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP

Of course it depends on how many cookies are made, As a very dedicated cookie monster once said: If you bake them for more than a buck apiece, you might have to limit the intake to 8-10 at a time
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trader Joe's has 12 oz bags for like 3.99

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.