Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurant preferences of the 50 largest U.S. cities

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cksnipe
I think philly deserves a higher rating on some of these; they have a decent food scene.
There's no deserves, doesn't deserve, it is purely a numbers game.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by melkor
Any ranking for "best pizza" that doesn't include New York in the top five is just wrong.
This seems like an accurate litmus test. I have no idea why the authors think DC is good for Fast Food or Burgers.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oformula
This seems like an accurate litmus test. I have no idea why the authors think DC is good for Fast Food or Burgers.
Did you read the way the study was set up? It's sheer numbers of restaurants of that type. Nothing about quality.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
(It's a quantity survey, I get it)

San Antonio as fifth-worst for coffee is laughable when it's home to Brown Coffee Co.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:11 am

having lived in wichita, i can attest that there are no restaurants there. except for vietnamese.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Did you read the way the study was set up? It's sheer numbers of restaurants of that type. Nothing about quality.
By any metric this list is wrong. There are more pizza places in NYC than restaurants of every type in Detroit. For a sense of scale here take a look at this interactive map of Manhattan Pizzerias.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by melkor
By any metric this list is wrong. There are more pizza places in NYC than restaurants of every type in Detroit. For a sense of scale here take a look at this interactive map of Manhattan Pizzerias.
It's quantity per capita. There's something like 12 x more people in NYC than in Detroit. That means if there's a 1,000 pizzerias in NYC, it would take only 90 in Detroit for Detroit to outrank NYC. Their methodology is doubtlessly flawed but it's a little more clever than just counting absolute totals (as New York would on account of its size win every category by default which wouldn't really be representative either - after all 600,000 people need fewer restaurants than 8 million people to have a similar perception of choice).
Old May 8, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by txflyer77
(It's a quantity survey, I get it)

San Antonio as fifth-worst for coffee is laughable when it's home to Brown Coffee Co.
I live in the far west side of San Antonio and there is no good coffee in this part of town at all! When Starbucks is the best coffee within 5 miles, there is something wrong.

I noticed San Antonio is in the bottom 5 for most of the list and not in the top 5 for any of the list. Unfortunately I have to agree except for the Tex-Mex.

Last edited by nutwpinut; May 9, 2017 at 8:25 am Reason: no good coffee in this part of town at all, there is good coffee in San Antonio, but not in the area where I live.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll vouch for Oakland. Really good restaurants across the board in that city.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:24 am

Great read. Pretty cool

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.