FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Restaurant preferences of the 50 largest U.S. cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1756235-restaurant-preferences-50-largest-u-s-cities.html)

cblaisd Mar 29, 2016 8:36 pm

Restaurant preferences of the 50 largest U.S. cities

http://www.estately.com/america-food-map

Kind of an interesting survey.

kagami Mar 29, 2016 9:16 pm

Neat!

wharvey Mar 30, 2016 9:31 am

I don't know about this... Boston best for donuts? I do hope they are not talking about dry Dunkin' Donuts! :)

VivoPerLei Apr 4, 2016 12:19 am

All that and they didn't bother to include BBQ

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 26409615)
I don't know about this... Boston best for donuts? I do hope they are not talking about dry Dunkin' Donuts! :)

This looks to be a quantity survey. Given the ubiquity of Dunkin' Donuts outlets (including the airports), the Boston metropolitan area was a shoe-in.

hiima Apr 4, 2016 2:06 am

Damn straight, LB #2 for donuts. But, the famous donut shop was replaced by a Dunkins :(. And SD makes sense for being terrible for burgers, you go there for Cali burritos.

ClimbingCook Apr 4, 2016 2:40 am

Any ranking for "best pizza" that doesn't include New York in the top five is just wrong.

GRALISTAIR Apr 4, 2016 7:12 am

Wow - did you notice how many times El Paso features in the worst section?

enviroian Apr 4, 2016 9:31 am

Originally Posted by melkor (Post 26432918)
Any ranking for "best pizza" that doesn't include New York in the top five is just wrong.

This.

After noticing this I completely dismissed the entire article as useless garbage.

tmiw Apr 5, 2016 1:40 am

Originally Posted by hiima (Post 26432849)
Damn straight, LB #2 for donuts. But, the famous donut shop was replaced by a Dunkins :(. And SD makes sense for being terrible for burgers, you go there for Cali burritos.

I actually expected SD to be in the top five for Mexican but apparently that's not the case.

BuildingMyBento Apr 5, 2016 8:02 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 26438435)
I actually expected SD to be in the top five for Mexican but apparently that's not the case.

It's mostly just rubbish fast food-type places with nasty carne asada fries - which isn't exactly Mexican - and even worse flautas...or fish taco food trucks that are no great shakes. But Aquí es Texcoco (in Chula Vista), good times.

Anyway, I went to Tijuana every weekend during my brief SD stint to satisfy the Mexican craving.

Ber2dca Apr 6, 2016 12:55 pm

It's purely based on quantity not quality and thus more a comment on the gastronomic markets and the geography of these cities than the quality of the food offerings.

What you can take from the numbers is that Washington D.C. has a *lot* of food places per capita - which isn't surprising given it's a city of work and play - rather than a city of residence - for large quantities of young, unsettled people with good incomes and active social lives. Meanwhile Philadelphia doesn't have a lot of them per capita which perhaps indicates that Philadelphia doesn't have as many people of above type as cities like D.C. and very importantly that it encompasses large swaths of primarily residential space inside its city limits.

If you look at the statistics, the city of Philadelphia encompasses around 25% of the population of its metropolitan area. In comparison, the city of Washington only encompasses about 11% of its metropolitan area and the city of Detroit, which ranked very highly in the burgers and pizzas categories, encompasses only about 16-18% of its metropolitan area. In other words, Washington and Detroit host - in relative terms - more eateries for people who don't actually live in the city itself but work and socialize there (due to entertainment venues, stadiums etc.) than Philadelphia.

CurbedEnthusiasm Apr 9, 2016 8:14 am

DC is #2 for pizza? That gave me a good laugh this morning.

365RoadWarrior Apr 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Yay, Oakland.

cksnipe Apr 13, 2016 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca (Post 26446481)
It's purely based on quantity not quality and thus more a comment on the gastronomic markets and the geography of these cities than the quality of the food offerings.

What you can take from the numbers is that Washington D.C. has a *lot* of food places per capita - which isn't surprising given it's a city of work and play - rather than a city of residence - for large quantities of young, unsettled people with good incomes and active social lives. Meanwhile Philadelphia doesn't have a lot of them per capita which perhaps indicates that Philadelphia doesn't have as many people of above type as cities like D.C. and very importantly that it encompasses large swaths of primarily residential space inside its city limits.

If you look at the statistics, the city of Philadelphia encompasses around 25% of the population of its metropolitan area. In comparison, the city of Washington only encompasses about 11% of its metropolitan area and the city of Detroit, which ranked very highly in the burgers and pizzas categories, encompasses only about 16-18% of its metropolitan area. In other words, Washington and Detroit host - in relative terms - more eateries for people who don't actually live in the city itself but work and socialize there (due to entertainment venues, stadiums etc.) than Philadelphia.

I think philly deserves a higher rating on some of these; they have a decent food scene.

pseudoswede Apr 18, 2016 9:14 am

Miami for steak, Atlanta for Tex-Mex. Riiiight.