Lectures from the waitstaff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lectures from the waitstaff

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by hawkxp
Was eating at a very nice seafood place overlooking the intercoastal in Lauderdale with 4 couples. I finished before my GF (normal) and after about 15 minutes of looking at my dirty, empty plates; asked a bus boy to remove them. He said that "we do not clean the table until everyone is finished". I said "take them or they will be in the river". They got taken away.
To each his own, but the service standard I was taught was to leave all the plates until the last person is finished to prevent that person from feeling rushed.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:50 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Unnecessarily personalized or snarky posts, or responses thereto, have been removed.

Please keep the discussion civil and respectful. Thank you.

cblaisd
Co-Moderator, Dining Buzz
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sousaphil
In any case, I don't know why staff isn't trained to know the standard "cutlery crossed" means don't take, while parallel cutlery means, please take this plate.
I don't think this is a standard rule. I thought I posted it earlier, but just in case I didn't, I got lectured once by a waiter at a Denny's (lowest quality level diner-type restaurant in the U.S.) because when I was finished, I laid my cutlery parallel on my plate. He informed me self-importantly that the correct way to signal I was done was to CROSS the cutlery.

My husband also crosses his utensils to indicate he's done. I still don't, except on rare occasion.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by emma69
I think quite the rudest waiter I have ever had was in the US when I ordered an asparagus starter. I ate the asparagus with my fingers. He came over, mid bite, and demanded to know if I had "unusable cutlery" very loudly in front of a busy restaurant.
Wow! How did you respond? I'd have been sorely tempted to explain in graphic terms how my "usable cutlery" would be used if he bothered me further.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Wow! How did you respond? I'd have been sorely tempted to explain in graphic terms how my "usable cutlery" would be used if he bothered me further.
I was so taken aback that I just muttered something like 'yes it is all fine thank you'.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by jcwoman
I don't think this is a standard rule. I thought I posted it earlier, but just in case I didn't, I got lectured once by a waiter at a Denny's (lowest quality level diner-type restaurant in the U.S.) because when I was finished, I laid my cutlery parallel on my plate. He informed me self-importantly that the correct way to signal I was done was to CROSS the cutlery.
The idea that a snooty Denny's waiter exists makes me ROTFL. Talk about delusions of grandeur!

According to Miss Manners*, the proper response would have been, "You probably ought to stick to providing food, not etiquette advice, for the term of your employment here--unless, of course, you're interested in having someone kick your Moons Over My Hammy**."

* Popular U.S. advice columnist who addresses questions of etiquette
** Actual Denny's menu item (and terrible pun) involving eggs and ham
*** Given Denny's clientele--especially on third shift--this is a real possibility
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
it makes me feel rushed, it might be ok in a culture where people like to eat early and race home to watch television, but when I eat out I like to take my time and make my meal the focus of the evening. Having waiters fussing around while people are still eating is rude and intrusive.
I agree. Moreover I'm a fast eater, invariably I finish first, I don't want my dining companions to feel as though they need to hurry up.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:20 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by bensyd
I agree. Moreover I'm a fast eater, invariably I finish first, I don't want my dining companions to feel as though they need to hurry up.
Agree. Although sometimes, when you get that one person who takes one mouthful for every 5 minutes of talking for the sake of talking...
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by stut
Agree. Although sometimes, when you get that one person who takes one mouthful for every 5 minutes of talking for the sake of talking...
^^^
One of many reasons I despise eating out in large (over 4) groups.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:43 pm

I think there are many restaurants in the US where you would not be allowed to sit in the dining room and order only soup.

Originally Posted by fwoomp
Mr. Fwoomp and I were snarled at by a Parisian waiter for having the audacity to order only soup, because "soup is not a meal!"

I knew you were generally expected to order two courses in Italy, but had never heard that about France (or been condemned for ordering only soup on previous visits).
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by stut
I have a friend who is a very slow eater. On a road trip many years ago he took the better part of an hour to eat a Quarter Pounder while he drove. He was/is almost OCD about chewing 12 times (I forget the exact number) on each side before swallowing to aid in digestion.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:34 pm
Suspended

I have a friend who is a very slow eater. On a road trip many years ago he took the better part of an hour to eat a Quarter Pounder while he drove. He was/is almost OCD about chewing 12 times (I forget the exact number) on each side before swallowing to aid in digestion.
He sounds like the Geoffrey Boycott of eating ...
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
He should avoid eating with other people in restaurants to be polite.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:45 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
OTOH, I know someone who is a very slow eater, has rather odd and picky eating choices, and drinks a lot with his food. Turns out he had throat cancer, is missing large chunks, and can taste very little. Finds it very hard to swallow, hence the copious liquid.

And, of course, people who talk non-stop while barely eating or playing with their food could well be anything from self-conscious about a diet to suffering from an eating disorder.

So it is, of course, quite right not to pressure people in such situations, as you never know the reasons why. Of course, some people do just like the sound of their own voices and have very little self-awareness.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I see both sides to the taking the plate away scenario. I hate dirty plates in front of me when I've finished eating, so I don't mind a waiter asking if it's ok to remove my plate (vs just taking it w/o asking) or, if the waiter is waiting for the entire table to finish before removing plates, I might motion the waiter over and say quietly, you can take my plate away. I've never noticed my breakfast, lunch or dinner companions feeling they needed to rush through their meal because my plate was taken away.

I do find it irritating when a waiter starts to take away a plate (w/o asking) when there's still food on it & you have to say excuse me, I'm still eating. Doesn't happen often, but quite annoying when it does.

Cheers. Sharon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.