Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Keurig Alternatives? (pod-type, single serve machines)

Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Our Keurig is starting to make some funky noises, and the last time that this happened we ended up $200 poorer and had a new machine. I'm not interested in getting one of the new ones with the special lids, and don't want to muck around with switching things around to cheat.

I was thinking of a Nespresso machine or one of the Versimo units from Starbucks. At the end of the day I just want to be able to make a quick cup of coffee or tea and be done with it. We like having the water tank since if the Golfer gets up earlier and finished the pot off he can just turn it on and I'm set, or he's feeling like coffee, and I want tea.

Anyway, suggestions?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Ok, there was a machine at bed, bath and beyond that started with an "i" that brewed k-cups and supposedly did better job--Im going to go look and post the name

here it is!!
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...wer/1043571864

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 15, 2015 at 9:42 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:01 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Nespresso tends to offer far superior coffee to anything I've gotten from a K-cup machine. Their pods also cost a lot more, and at least in North America, there aren't the degree of competitors producing compatible pods that there are for the K-cups.

Everywhere else in the world seems to favor Nespresso.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:31 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Nespresso is great coffee. I bought my machine (new) on Ebay for about 40% off retail and I buy the pods on Ebay for about $0.50 each.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So doing a bit of research, it looks like most of the newer Nespresso machines are focused on lattes or espresso shots (which is fine, as I like lattes and rather enjoy Americanos.) Or am I missing something here.

The gurgle/grumple that the Keurig was making yesterday has mostly ceased, but much like that old Ford from the 1970s, the end is nigh.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Nespresso all the way. This is a great product. Take a MR to Europe and stock up ... we buy ours in Germany and import them to the US.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
Nespresso all the way. This is a great product. Take a MR to Europe and stock up ... we buy ours in Germany and import them to the US.
Do they work on both 220 and 110 electricity?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dovster
Sorry Dov, I was talking about the capsules. The machines are the same price pretty much. For the coffee we pay 35 cents in Europe ... much more expensive here.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I plan to purchase the icoffee if my keurig dies--the reviews clinched it for me!!

I will say, last year when my first keurig died, I brought it to bed bath and beyond and without even a conversation they told me to pick a new one out. how nice is that?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Our Keurig is starting to make some funky noises, and the last time that this happened we ended up $200 poorer and had a new machine. I'm not interested in getting one of the new ones with the special lids, and don't want to muck around with switching things around to cheat.

I was thinking of a Nespresso machine or one of the Versimo units from Starbucks. At the end of the day I just want to be able to make a quick cup of coffee or tea and be done with it. We like having the water tank since if the Golfer gets up earlier and finished the pot off he can just turn it on and I'm set, or he's feeling like coffee, and I want tea.

Anyway, suggestions?
Buy it at Costco. We are on our third one and Costco happily took the other two back when they broke down.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andyh64000
Buy it at Costco. We are on our third one and Costco happily took the other two back when they broke down.
There's a Costco in Fredrickton, NB, Nashua, HN or Danvers, MA. Either way, it's a drive. I've got a Sam's Club and that's about it.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:21 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
Sorry Dov, I was talking about the capsules. The machines are the same price pretty much. For the coffee we pay 35 cents in Europe ... much more expensive here.
Yeah, the capsules in the US, for decent quality coffee, are typically at least 65-70 cents apiece.

I had some good ones in Thailand which would have been around 20 cents each, though unfortunately the shop was closed the day I dropped by.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I'm on a couple of "daily deals" emails and at least weekly one or both of them has very good K-cup coffee on sale for a decent price. It's rare that I have to pay more than $.35-.40 per pod.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:39 am

I am addicted to Nespresso coffee. We got a machine at work a couple of years ago, and it got to the point where I couldn't stand my coffee at home on the weekends (fresh grounds made as a manual pour-over with a funnel or a French press). So I bought a Nespresso Pixie a few months ago for home.

At our second home, I have not had a decent cup of coffee since we got here. It irritates me that Nespresso machines are so much more expensive in the U.S. than Europe and I'll eventually get one for the second home or bring the one from Denmark to the U.S. with a transformer (they don't make them dual voltage).

I make the fresh pour-over coffee every morning, plus we go to a wonderful one-off cafe that has fantastic latte for my husband (but I like a good robust cup of black coffee), and we have Starbucks a few minutes walk away (yuk!) and another local one-off cafe around the corner (double yuk). None of them is as good as the Nespresso.

The machine is also quick, easy to clean and just works. At work we have the Lattissama version which has an option for foaming milk for latte and cappuccino; at home we have the Pixie which has no milk attachment. You can also buy a separate milk frother from Nespresso which I'm told is good.

I generally only drink about three cups of coffee each morning, then generally quit for the day, but it has to be good coffee!

Oh, and the Nespresso decaf capsules are also excellent should you ever want a cup of decaf.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
From my research, no, but I would love to be wrong!

You can get the machine for a bargain in Europe if you shop around. My Pixie ended up costing me a net price of less than $15 (in Helsingborg, Sweden) when I got it on a good sale that also included nearly $50 bonus in capsules credited to my Nespresso account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.