Does anyone drink Matcha (Maccha) tea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:51 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by LapLap
I can't help but be suspicious of what people who aren't from one of the world's richest countries are actually drinking when they are taking such vast amounts of a famously expensive commodity.
There are many grades of matcha and there is also "matcha" of the variety that is widely available at Boba tea shops, Starbucks frappucino beverages and matcha-for-cooking kits. I personally love high quality genuine matcha in the way it was meant to be served but won't turn my nose up at restaurant-matcha (usually cut with sencha) or matcha confectionery.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mikeef
Yes, when available to me.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:54 pm

I was wandering if someone could please help me find some answers to some questions I have re matcha tea?

1) Is one cup of matcha the equivalent to a cup of coffee in terms of how much caffeine it has?

2) The packet of matcha I bought says to just put half a teaspoon instead of a whole one could there be a reason to why this is?

3) I have read that matcha can be harmful as it can contain lead and also affect your liver due to the high amount of antioxidants in it - how many cups are too much? Also should I be worried about it harming me?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sophie Lou
I was wandering if someone could please help me find some answers to some questions I have re matcha tea?

1) Is one cup of matcha the equivalent to a cup of coffee in terms of how much caffeine it has?

2) The packet of matcha I bought says to just put half a teaspoon instead of a whole one could there be a reason to why this is?

3) I have read that matcha can be harmful as it can contain lead and also affect your liver due to the high amount of antioxidants in it - how many cups are too much? Also should I be worried about it harming me?
Hello Sophie Lou, and welcome to Flyertalk.

1) It would depend on the matcha and how much you use to prepare it. Generally matcha is considered to be about 3.5grams per 100g of tea powder. I understand this is similar to coffee (again, depends on the coffee and how much is used to prepare it)
HOWEVER - what you haven’t asked about is Theanine which is the component in tea that counteracts the effects of caffeine. As a rule of thumb, low grade matcha has less theanine than high grade matcha (which might have twice as much).

2) I have no idea which matcha you are using or how the packet suggests you use it or how much water (or at which temperature) it is suggesting. This question is impossible to answer as it stands.

3) Most foods are harmful in big doses. Lead and other heavy metals (eg arsenic) make their way into foods - rice is an excellent example of this. Only somebody familiar with where your particular matcha is grown could answer this. I find it hard to imagine that anyone reasonable would be taking enough matcha to poison themselves this way.
Saying that, apparently there are Brazilians who ingest huge amounts of hot matcha and give themselves throat cancer as a result - details are in this thread. As a moderate drinker I am not bothered by any of this in the slightest.
Antioxidants and liver? Again, drink it moderately (one or two cups a day at most) and there is nothing to worry about.
I really want to stress that, in Japan, it is not common at all to drink excessive quantities of matcha. It’s not a “superfood”, it’s just something rather special that is taken occasionally. Japanese people drink infused tea as a habit, not this powdered kind.
tcl likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Never tasted any matcha drink. Am I missing out?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Just had matcha soft serve dessert tonight in sf by the stand diagonal from Toy Boat. Yummy.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:47 am

Had some matcha beer in Tokyo. Never again. The powder settled at the bottom of the glass making it particularly repulsive at the end.

The matcha soft serve was fine.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Glad you enjoyed the matcha soft serve

now I want more... sigh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.