FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Does anyone drink Matcha (Maccha) tea? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1611102-does-anyone-drink-matcha-maccha-tea.html)

mikeef Sep 8, 2014 8:04 am

Does anyone drink Matcha (Maccha) tea?

I have a coworker who is very into it. A quick google search revealed a long list of health benefits, everything short of restoring lost limbs. Not coincidentally, the sites that rave the most about the product give you an opportunity to buy it right from their sites. How thoughtful of them. Still, even the sites that appear "objective (and I know there's no such thing on the internet) have good things to say, although some of them are quicker to point out that there have not been too many studies done.

So, of course, I turn to the fountain of knowledge, the OMNI board on FT. What say you fine folks?

Thanks,
Mike

acregal Sep 8, 2014 10:35 am

Don't drink it on an empty stomach! (it stimulates production of stomach acid, which isn't a good thing with an empty stomach, or when hungover).

chgoeditor Sep 8, 2014 11:43 am

Does anyone drink Matcha (Maccha) tea?
Yes.

mikeef Sep 8, 2014 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by acregal (Post 23493474)
Don't drink it on an empty stomach! (it stimulates production of stomach acid, which isn't a good thing with an empty stomach, or when hungover).

Found that out the hard way!

Mike

JayhawkCO Sep 9, 2014 12:23 am

Used to work at a fine dining Asian restaurant that served Matcha. Used to mix it with mango puree and a little water for a pick me up before my shift started. Pretty delicious.

Chris

mikeef Sep 9, 2014 7:26 am

It's actually not too bad alone.

My question is if anyone knows anything about the nutritional value, at least more than I do. Is it really what wikipedia says it is, or is it just another super-food that's only super big in terms of its price?

Thanks,
Mike

ou81two Sep 9, 2014 10:58 am

I'm sure someone does or it wouldn't be sold.

chgoeditor Sep 9, 2014 11:26 am

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 23498199)
It's actually not too bad alone.

My question is if anyone knows anything about the nutritional value, at least more than I do. Is it really what wikipedia says it is, or is it just another super-food that's only super big in terms of its price?

Thanks,
Mike

I'd suggest looking at the cited research in the Wikipedia articles and deciding for yourself.

shenon1 Sep 11, 2014 1:31 am

I drink it now and then. Haven't grown any new limbs yet but I like it because it is more substantial than leaf green tea. Of all the various "health foods" I think a good quality green tea could have some benefit if you drink enough. As far as Matcha goes, how does one know if they are getting a good high quality Matcha and not just a good high price?

Earthlings Sep 11, 2014 9:03 am

Trader Joes has a good Matcha powder.

LapLap Sep 14, 2014 11:54 am

None of the matcha suppliers I use give all that guff about health benefits, they just get on with the business of supplying fine tea.

Best tip I can give you is find a way to try good high end matcha and take in as much of the experience as you can. Remember the aroma and the taste and this will be enough to know whether you are getting decent matcha or not. There simply isn't that much high end matcha around to ever flood the market and lots of the powdered green tea that gets used by the food and drink industry and labelled as matcha simply isn't or is a very poor grade (what I would consider cooking matcha, for flavouring icecreams or cookies etc). The other big problem is that matcha tastes stale very quickly. If you do get hold of some decent matcha, try storing it in an airtight container in the freezer to delay the oxidisation.

Yesterday I had a wonderful opportunity to drink matcha from Uji prepared by a visiting Japanese potter from this area. It was sublime, vaguely sweet with the most subtle bitter undertones. I shared it with my five year old and a friend's six year old daughter, no wagashi was required, both the girls loved the frothy tea and went for second gulps.

For me, matcha is a luxury or a treat, not an every day drink. I find the caffeine hit it gives to be quite potent. I can understand why it has been used for centuries as a meditation tool as it can help sharpen the mind, for those who drink lots of strong coffee I can see how matcha might be considered as a more calming alternative (due to the theanine which can smooth over some of caffeine's effects).
I'd recommend considering a strong sencha if you want to drink green tea regularly for health, if you have the means then perhaps you could try gyokuro (divine). Matcha has a time and place, but, as far as my own life is concerned, it isn't a daily beverage.

If you are stuck for a reputable supplier (or for someone who can make you a good cup of good matcha) you could try this reliable vendor in Japan.
My own supplier is in London but I've enjoyed the teas I've bought from the shop I've linked to

http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.p...ndex&cPath=1_7

They have a low grade matcha for experimenting with, I would bet that most of the more expensive matcha available in the USA from websites promoting it as a miraculous superfood won't be any better (and could be a lot worse) than this lower grade tea.

aceman Sep 17, 2014 11:13 am

Originally Posted by LapLap (Post 23524621)
My own supplier is in London but I've enjoyed the teas I've bought from the shop I've linked to

Where do you get it from in london?

and what other accoutrements should I get? Am quite up for trying it properly!

LapLap Sep 18, 2014 5:11 am

Originally Posted by aceman (Post 23540961)
Where do you get it from in london?

and what other accoutrements should I get? Am quite up for trying it properly!

My own supplier is Postcard Teas in Dering Street, just by Bond Street. They periodically have events there where a tea enthusiast, scholar or craftsman will make an informal cup of matcha. The range of matcha on sale is limited but the vendor has personal relationships with the growers, you won't find any dud examples (and there is no way you would ever be sold stale matcha).

Another place you might unexpectedly be offered a cup of beautifully prepared matcha is at the British Museum. There is a tea house there and occasionally there is a demonstration.

There's a chado (tea ceremony) society in Cambridge and they sometimes come to London to take part in events. http://www.kaetsu.co.uk/regeve.htm

I'll focus now on somewhere you can just turn up and buy a cup to drink:
There's a lovely wagashi (the dainty sweets that often accompany matcha tea) shop called Minamoto Kitchoan in Piccadilly. http://www.kitchoan.com/?page_id=7#lct-lo
It's open until 7pm and they serve matcha until 6:30pm.

If you do like it and decide you want to prepare it yourself at home, there are starter kits at the Japan Centre in Piccadilly and youtube tutorials, or you might like to have a chat with someone at Postcard Teas to discuss your options and the techniques you can try. The Japan Centre does offer matcha, but check the expiry date carefully. I strongly recommend buying matcha in small quantities, it is really unpleasant when it goes off and it goes off pretty quickly (hence the tip about storing in the freezer). I've had a couple of matcha flavoured sweets and cakes from the Japan Centre that had that horrible "wet hay" aroma that stale matcha gives off.

If you're looking for a milky matcha drink, there's Tombo which is a small restaurant/cafe close to South Kensington Station. They have fantastic cakes from Lanka (which does Japanese French style patisserie ever so well) and delicious matcha latte (or matcha milk).

gfunkdave Sep 18, 2014 9:44 am

I used to really like matcha when I took a Japanese Tea Ceremony class in college. It's definitely an acquired taste, but the traditional sweet that accompanies it is helpful.

I sometimes miss the taste. Not sure where to find it in NYC, though I'm sure it's available.

BuildingMyBento Sep 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 23545785)
I used to really like matcha when I took a Japanese Tea Ceremony class in college. It's definitely an acquired taste, but the traditional sweet that accompanies it is helpful.

I sometimes miss the taste. Not sure where to find it in NYC, though I'm sure it's available.

This place is close to Grand Central.