FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   What condiments go on a hot dog in your neck of the woods?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1546705-what-condiments-go-hot-dog-your-neck-woods.html)

tcook052 Feb 19, 2014 12:49 am

Normally and speaking only for myself ketchup and mustard. I found a Groupon to Papaya King in NYC and so will try a few more toppings while visiting the Big Apple in June.

cubbie Feb 20, 2014 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 22342050)
:D You really have it rough. BTW, I've never been to a place that won't give you ketchup if you ask for it.

The famous Gene and Jude's on River Road is one that won't, because they couldn't even if they wanted to (which they don't), because they keep no ketchup in the building. If you want ketchup you have to get it from the McDonald's on the corner.

cubbie Feb 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 22341890)
Inspector Harry Callahan is not from Chicago!

I know who Harry Callahan is, but I don't understand your post. Care to explain?

ILuvParis Feb 20, 2014 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by cubbie (Post 22387739)
The famous Gene and Jude's on River Road is one that won't, because they couldn't even if they wanted to (which they don't), because they keep no ketchup in the building. If you want ketchup you have to get it from the McDonald's on the corner.

Thanks for the heads up. I would never go to a fast food place that doesn't have ketchup. Fries aren't worth eating without it (IMO).

braslvr Feb 21, 2014 12:01 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 22388597)
Thanks for the heads up. I would never go to a fast food place that doesn't have ketchup. Fries aren't worth eating without it (IMO).

Ouch!;) Truly good french fries are so insanely delicious they require no condiments at all, except a healthy dose of salt. Most all fast food fries do require ketchup, and I rarely order them at such places. For a chain, 5 guys fries are really really good about 75% of the time.

cubbie Feb 21, 2014 8:57 am

Chili dog with mustard... that is an interesting idea, bearsfanord. I'm going to try that.

mosburger Feb 21, 2014 9:36 am

Originally Posted by braslvr (Post 22388860)
Ouch!;) Truly good french fries are so insanely delicious they require no condiments at all, except a healthy dose of salt. Most all fast food fries do require ketchup, and I rarely order them at such places. For a chain, 5 guys fries are really really good about 75% of the time.

Mostly so, but there is a nectar of the Gods to go with those perfect fries, namely mayo or even aioli...;)

Ancien Maestro Feb 21, 2014 10:21 am

At Costco yesterday, and yes its cheap, but the old dog is getting boring. Costco needs to spruce up with more variety of toppings. How bout some tomatoes?

pseudoswede Feb 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Ouch!;) Truly good french fries are so insanely delicious they require no condiments at all, except a healthy dose of salt.

e.g., In-N-Out well-done fries.

cblaisd Feb 21, 2014 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 22388597)

Oooh, yuck. :D

Ouch!;) Truly good french fries are so insanely delicious they require no condiments at all, except a healthy dose of salt.

^

As for hotdogs: When eaten while holding, yellow mustard only. No foo foo mustards need apply. Period. When eaten with a fork, chili and a small amount of grated mediocre cheddar cheese. :)

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 22393456)

Amen. Preach it.

braslvr Feb 21, 2014 8:55 pm

Not even remotely close. :D WAY too thinly cut, and no skins.

5 guys all the way when they're crispy.

cblaisd Feb 21, 2014 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by braslvr (Post 22394422)
5 guys all the way when they're crispy.

I've heard that you can get them that way. But I've never actually been served any that weren't limp and textureless.

GadgetFreak Feb 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by cubbie (Post 22387748)
I know who Harry Callahan is, but I don't understand your post. Care to explain?

Well, it was a joke first of all, but it meant that it isn't just people from Chicago who object to ketchup on hot dogs since he was a San Francisco cop.

Pa Kettle Feb 26, 2014 4:46 pm

Not for me. I have to have them animal style (sans thousand island sauce) well done or not at all.

milepig Feb 26, 2014 6:04 pm

Really? Love their burgers, hate their fries. Fresh cutting taters and then frying in a single step does not make a good fry.