FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   What condiments go on a hot dog in your neck of the woods?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1546705-what-condiments-go-hot-dog-your-neck-woods.html)

uszkanni Jan 29, 2014 9:44 pm

Various combos but most often,
spicy mustard and sweet relish
- add to the above onions or jalapenos
chili with or without onions

and the dog should be grilled not steamed.

CPRich Jan 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by uk1 (Post 22250208)
I don't know what "condimenets" are but in my view no one should ever attempt to put any condoms on a hot dog whatever neck of the woods they are in.

Especially the mint ones.

I'll always start with mustard, preferably brown if available. Then it can be onions, relish, chili, sauerkraut, depending on what's available/where I'm eating. Ketchup is for the kids (though it must be Heinz - wth is "catsup"). At home, I'm usually lazy and just go with brown mustard spiked with peppers.

sfoactuary Jan 29, 2014 10:07 pm

In the context of hot dogs, I consider bacon a condiment :p Add on grilled onions and mustard, and you have the perfect drunk food after a night out in the Mission district.

youreadyfreddie Jan 29, 2014 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by bitburgr (Post 22250099)
Right ingredients, but ketchup has to be first.

I respect your right to freestyle your hot dog condiments in your order of preference. Go in peace and keep your standards high.

braslvr Jan 29, 2014 10:38 pm

The Chicago dog works great for me without the phosphorescent green relish. Otherwise, a simple dog will have dill pickle spears, minced onion, and yellow mustard. Cole slaw or a bit of Swiss cheese can be good too. Sauerkraut maybe once in a while, but I prefer that on brats. Of course no-bean chili and chopped onion is always good. Never EVER ketchup or mayo. Those are for hamburgers. And I agree, the Vienna Beef hot dog is one of the best skinless dogs out there.

Taiwaned Jan 30, 2014 12:06 am

Teriyaki sauce and mayonnaise with a touch of seaweed is good.

So is miso and cabbage combo

http://www.japadog.com/

This afternoon I had a bratwurst with Dijon and sweet mayonnaise.

ILuvParis Jan 30, 2014 1:00 am

What condimenets go on a hot dog in your neck of the woods??

I don't think any of the Chicagoans mentioned the steamed Mary Ann poppy seed bun. :confused:

zznoname Jan 30, 2014 5:02 am

Originally Posted by SirFlysALot (Post 22249403)
In Chicago a hot dog has mustard, onions and relish. Sport peppers are a likely possibility. A classy place may have a pickle and a tomato.

We would never put catchup on a hot dog. If any one asks for it they are either a tourist or not raised very well. Asking for catchup goes a long way to explain the high homicide rate here. ;)

The best hotdogs are made by Vienna. :)

What goes on a hot dog where you live?

Born and raised Chicago and Central on Chicago's west side in the 50's. In addition to what was already mentioned, our $1. dogs always came with pickle, tomato and ketchup, and never celery salt.

This no ketchup thing is as bogus as Chicago's deep dish pizza.

Pan pizza never existed, is a new creation, and from my experience, is currently only eaten by tourist and young transplants from Dominos dominated pizza lands of Ohio, Kentucky, Iowa, Indiana....

You know, the people that don't like ginger on their Yakisoba.

Has anyone found a deep dish pizza joint outside of the loop, near north, Lincoln Park... transplant areas?

And whether you put ketchup on your dog or not was inconsequential.

Now.. if we're talking about the "Chicago Style Depression Dog" simple mustard, onions maybe relish and a sport pepper, of course Ketchup wouldn't work.

But really, think about it, if you're going for a simple sausage, brat type thing, what difference does a bit of Ketchup make after adding, sugared relish, salad tomato, soggy pickle and a hot pepper?

Granted, now days, with my fancy sophisticated pallet, I usually keep ketchup off my dogs, but never, ever, ever was it an issue in the neighborhoods that served full "garden" type Chicago dogs.

Adding Ketchup seems trivial compared to all that other "junk" messing up a good sausage especially compared to the real crime of adding sour cream, tomato and lettuce on a perfectly designed Tacos Carne Asada made with cilantro, onion, lime maybe radish and chile sauce.

SkeptiCallie Jan 30, 2014 5:03 am

Coleslaw. With added mustard and/or mayonnaise optional.

Jenbel Jan 30, 2014 5:28 am

ketchup onions and cheese.

that said, I eat them once in a blue moon since they aren't commonly available here.

CosmosHuman Jan 30, 2014 6:08 am

In CLE, Ballpark mustard. That is all I use.

HIDDY Jan 30, 2014 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel (Post 22251407)
ketchup onions and cheese.

that said, I eat them once in a blue moon since they aren't commonly available here.

Yes my only recollections of eating hot dogs in the UK were as a kid when I visited a carnival or some public event where they had food vans. Used to assemble my own though, quick and easy food when away camping.

They're quite popular here as they're relatively cheap (God only knows what's in them) although they don't come with onions which is a shame. As I like them with either mustard or tomato ketchup I tend to put both on.
I don't eat them a lot maybe a few times a year.

CosmosHuman Jan 30, 2014 6:14 am

I'll only eat Hebrew National. Once I had a vegan dog, oy vegh it was awful!

dchristiva Jan 30, 2014 7:30 am

Originally Posted by flyinbob (Post 22250091)
A hot dog made any other way than described simply isn't a dog. Some places also add a bit of celery salt.

But ketchup on a dog is like cheeseless pizza, or a tofu hamburger. Sacrilege!

Absolutely! ^

ILuvParis Jan 30, 2014 7:36 am

What condimenets go on a hot dog in your neck of the woods??

As a Chicagoan, I like the dog dragged through the garden as much as anyone, but on Kauai, at Puka Dog, it's with the hot secret garlic sauce, banana relish and lilikoi mustard!