Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

DrinkUpNY - any experiences with this store...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:38 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post DrinkUpNY - any experiences with this store...?

Im wondering if anybody here has experience with this Brooklyn based wine & spirits retailer....? They seem to have a "strange" policy regarding the packaging of their products.... kind of makes me wonder.

Here is their website.....
http://www.drinkupny.com/default.asp
Old Nov 30, 2013, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Are you referring to this policy?
How are your products packaged?

We will do everything in our power to assure that your package arrives safely. All orders are shipped in a sturdy cardboard box, with layers of foam cushioning protecting the bottles. Orders that include original packaging, or contain irregular-shaped bottles may be packed differently, but securely.

Unless mentioned otherwise, we do not include the original external packaging for our products. For certain items, we do offer an "Include Original Packaging" option, which will add an additional service charge to the product total. Please refer to individual item descriptions for more information. If a product you are interested in does not have the option to include the original packaging, and you wish to obtain it, please contact us before placing your order to verify that we can honor your request.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Im wondering if anybody here has experience with this Brooklyn based wine & spirits retailer....? They seem to have a "strange" policy regarding the packaging of their products.... kind of makes me wonder.

How did you find this place? I live in New York City, specifically in Brooklyn, and I never heard of them.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:44 am
iff

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K

It doesn't sound strange to me. I'm guessing they're referring to bottles sold in boxes, bags, or other special packaging, e.g.

and that they generally use standard styrofoam bottle inserts to pack their shipments, so they'd take the bottle out of the gift box/original packaging in order to fit into the shipping box.

They do state that you can contact them to make arrangements if you need the original packaging.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Are you referring to this policy?
Yes.... exactly.

The apparent lack of original external packaging makes me wonder. Are they getting a lower wholesale price because they buy their Single Malts without the standard cardboard box it normally comes in....? That sounds very strange... I didn't know that the distilleries would bother to do that.... or is there a "secondary market" for whisky without original packaging...?

Also, with no original boxes, one can also wonder how well (or not) preserved the labels on these bottles are.... etc. etc.

Originally Posted by iff
It doesn't sound strange to me. I'm guessing they're referring to bottles sold in boxes, bags, or other special packaging, e.g.

and that they generally use standard styrofoam bottle inserts to pack their shipments, so they'd take the bottle out of the gift box/original packaging in order to fit into the shipping box.

They do state that you can contact them to make arrangements if you need the original packaging.
Im not sure I can agree. They don't mention large format bottles.. the wording they use appears to say that their general rule is that no original external boxes are available... and that they charge extra (???) if you want to get the original boxes, which are not available in all cases.... this, btw, makes it even more strange because if they would always offer the original package for a fee I would get it... but its clear that in most cases, these guys don't even have the original boxes.

I cant understand why they would purposely throw out the original boxes.... unless they have learned to save storage space by discarding the boxes and racking only the bottles....???

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
How did you find this place? I live in New York City, specifically in Brooklyn, and I never heard of them.
Im ITB, just not in the USA... but it was a friend of mine that found it and will be bringing me two bottles of single malts that are impossible to get here in EZE.

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 1, 2013 at 5:18 am Reason: merged poster's three consecutive posts
Old Dec 1, 2013, 5:08 am

I have purchased from them for years and have had orders shipped to me - never had anything but positive experiences. Bottles are shipped in special packaging that protects the bottle, but there isn't a way to send the individual box you may be able to get at a store. I do not find the policy to be strange in the context of their shipping procedures.

Last edited by dcman2; Dec 1, 2013 at 8:27 am
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It would seem that their own packaging provides for a more reliable break-proof shipping system than padding around the original packaging.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcman2
I have purchased from them for years and have had orders shipped to me - never had anything but positive experiences. Bottles are shipped in special packaging that protects the bottle, but there isn't a way to send the individual box you may be able to get at a store. I do not find the policy to be strange in the context of their shipping procedures.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I guess my choice of words was not the best, in my case I have an interest in the original packaging. In an ideal situation I would buy from this store and have them include the original packaging... but I realize that this is a hassle for them.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It would seem that their own packaging provides for a more reliable break-proof shipping system than padding around the original packaging.
Yes, good point Trying to get a bottle of Scotch with the original cardboard box into a Styro shipper will be tricky.....

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 1, 2013 at 5:38 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:15 pm

They may be able to fold a box and then include it in their shipment - it's worth asking them if it's important to you, I suspect they accommodate requests like this from collectors when they can. Good luck!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcman2
They may be able to fold a box and then include it in their shipment - it's worth asking them if it's important to you, I suspect they accommodate requests like this from collectors when they can. Good luck!
Yes, this is certainly an avenue to explore. Maybe if I order things by the case they can accommodate the special request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.