Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beer 65% Alcohol ???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Beer 65% Alcohol ???

Snake Venom Beer 65%. How the H*ll do you make beer that strong ? I thought the alcohol kills off the yeast (even champagne yeast) at around 13%. Have they bio-engineered mutant alcohol resistant yeast ? If they fortify it w/a ton of alcohol - how can you call it beer ? LINK:http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/wo...174300468.html
Old Oct 27, 2013, 2:49 am

I'm guessing it is some sort of fractional freezing process. Cool the beer to where water freezes but the alcohol doesn't, remove the (water) ice crystals and leave the still liquid ethyl alcohol to increase the proof. That's my guess and I'm sticking to it.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by uszkanni
I'm guessing it is some sort of fractional freezing process. Cool the beer to where water freezes but the alcohol doesn't, remove the (water) ice crystals and leave the still liquid ethyl alcohol to increase the proof. That's my guess and I'm sticking to it.
Right you are. Here's an entire article about the process.

http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...-beer-stronger

Cheers,
T.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:21 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Beer 65% Alcohol ???

Eisbocks are made this way. taken to the extreme you can definitely get to 65%. Whether it's drinkable or not is another matter...
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
There is a Russian saying: "Пиво без водки - деньги на ветер" ("[Drinking] beer without vodka is like throwing money into the wind")
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Eisbocks are made this way. taken to the extreme you can definitely get to 65%. Whether it's drinkable or not is another matter...
I don't find a whole lot of anything that's drinkable at 130 proof. Cask strength whiskeys are brutal ! Thank you all. I just couldn't get my head around it
Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
I foresee a trip to Scotland in my future. Gotta check into that one on Untappd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.