Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
French fries and blue cheese dressing......from Bobs Big boys if possible
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:09 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by LAXative
Another chain for me... Hometown Buffet. It's so low brow... but sometimes it really hits the spot.

(I'd actually vote for Old Country Buffet, but there are none here in SoCal).
I use to take my kids there when they were younger. The children's pricing was a deal. We made an agreement that they could eat whatever else they wanted as long as they included a plate of salad and some fruit. They loved getting to pick what they wanted ...including the ice cream machine, and I loved that they always ate a big plate of salad veggies every time we went.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:36 pm

The Elvis sandwich. Heat butter in a pan. While butter is melting spread two pieces of white bread with peanut butter ( I prefer crunchy ). Onto the peanut buttered bread slice up as much banana as reasonably fits your sandwich. Put into pan and fry till bread is golden brown and peanut butter is soft. Add more butter and flip your sandwich so other side toasts. This is best enjoyed with a cold Mexican coke. I suppose a cold beer would do nicely as well.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Taco Cabana. I'd much rather have a late night bite there than some of the other after hours options (Waffle House, Denny's, Jack in the Box, etc).
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:37 pm

I love ground beef tacos made with those taco seasoning packets like Lawry's.
Top Ramen. Especially if I'm hungover.
I have pretty much sworn off chain restaurants but, I can't stop going to Sizzler for the salad bar. It's fantastic. Especially those fried chicken wings. Where I live they even have .99 cent microwbrews. I couldn't believe it when I saw the Sizzler in Bangkok.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Chocolate breakfast cereal (though next time I'm in the states I may have to pick up some of that Reece's stuff)
Corned beef (the canned kind you get in the UK)
Agree with Emma about Heinz Spaghetti but it has to be with toast.

Oh and I like Subway cheese steak far more than the cheese steaks I had in Philly.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by exilencfc
Chocolate breakfast cereal (though next time I'm in the states I may have to pick up some of that Reece's stuff)
Chocolate breakfast cereal is particularly good over frozen yogurt/soft-serve vanilla ice cream. (Ah, the things we learn in college dining halls...)
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:40 pm

You had ice cream in halls? No fair. Mind you we did have cheese on toast as a breakfast option which is surprisingly addictive.

I forgot about Angels Delight. Which I didn't actually like when I was a kid
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Spam musubi (yum!)

Yoshinoya (esp. the beef bowl)

Panda Express

Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:05 pm

You had ice cream in halls? No fair. Mind you we did have cheese on toast as a breakfast option which is surprisingly addictive.
The good: we had ice cream in the halls
The bad: it was one of the few things that was edible (along with cereal and the make-it-yourself waffles)

It was a fattening couple years, until I moved off-campus.

Looping back to the main topic: I also had lots of late night meals at Denny's while in school--still have a soft spot for them.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 2:02 am

Now that bit sounds more familiar. The only thing we had that was guaranteed safe was the salad, everything else was likely to be either awful or indegestion inducing
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
McD Sausage Egg McMuffin - my favorite fast food sandwich
Dominos pizza - most reliable for take-out in new city
Homemade Rice Krispie Treats - can't eat just one or two or ...
Frosted Flakes - best 2am snack around
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Corned beef (the canned kind you get in the UK)
Agree with Emma about Heinz Spaghetti but it has to be with toast.

Oh and I like Subway cheese steak far more than the cheese steaks I had in Philly.
On toast is perfectly acceptable. On cheese on toast is divine!

Angel delight, never had it as a child, became an addict at University, and was the only reason there was ever milk in the fridge (given I didn't eat cereal, was happy with black tea, etc!) I still bring back packets of it to Canada when I pop back! I *may* have even passed it off as a fancy pud at a dinner party (bit of a disaster with the planned pud) I served it in martini glasses, with shaved chocolate over the top, and people asked for the recipe!!!
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:24 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Not as an argument but, do you mean the Philly cheeseteaks with Cheez Whiz or provolone (or something else)? Very different, as the Japanese would say, 食感 (food texture)- mouth feel.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
Another true story - my wife and I lived in China for 2 years. She couldn't stand the local food (I loved it, mostly because the price was right).

When we went home after the first 12 months and she could have any of the hard-to-get-in-China foods we missed from the US, such as a nice juicy steak, desserts, baked goods, etc... she demanded Chinese food.

...yes I get there is a difference between real Chinese food and American Chinese, but really?
LOL, I understand her thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.