Wiki Posts
Search

What was your Best Meal of the Year?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Fog Harbor Fish House, SF. - wasn't expecting much on touristy Pier39, but very pleasantly surprised.
I had the same experience this year! Dad was visiting and he doesn't get around as well as he used to, so this was a compromise location. But it was actually quite good and I would definitely go back.

I've had some excellent pizzas this year. Blue Line in Burlingame and Patxi's are definitely memorable.

There's also an excellent Mexican place in Menlo Park, in the back of the Sharon Heights shopping mall. Family place. Fantastic chicken. Several top meals of the year there.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Probably my best meal of 2012 was at Bacchus in Milwaukee. Nothing overly pretentious, some foie gras, some seafood, an excellent Strauss free-raised veal chop, a couple of sides, and a dessert.

I've also been to Bern's twice in 2012, and had outstanding meals there. And there was a knock-down drag out rijsttafel in Amsterdam at Indrapura that really hit the spot.

At the other end of the spectrum, a 1am dinner of chili colorado and a medianoche at La Teresita's diner-side near TPA was pretty outstanding in its own way.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Best meal of 2012 was Momofuku Ko in New York. Amazeballs.

I also really liked Dinner by Heston, the Ledbury and Hedone in London.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:46 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Probably my best meal of 2012 was at Bacchus in Milwaukee. Nothing overly pretentious, some foie gras, some seafood, an excellent Strauss free-raised veal chop, a couple of sides, and a dessert.

I've also been to Bern's twice in 2012, and had outstanding meals there. And there was a knock-down drag out rijsttafel in Amsterdam at Indrapura that really hit the spot.

At the other end of the spectrum, a 1am dinner of chili colorado and a medianoche at La Teresita's diner-side near TPA was pretty outstanding in its own way.
Mind expounding upon what your rijstaffel included? I'm much more familiar with Indonesian cuisine since the last (and only, actually) time I ordered it.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Mind expounding upon what your rijstaffel included? I'm much more familiar with Indonesian cuisine since the last (and only, actually) time I ordered it.
Darned if I can remember exactly which items stood out, besides the half lobster which was good but which made me want Singaporean chili crab... I didn't eat all of the items because some items had peanuts and I'm allergic. But fortunately through the power of Google, I found it:

http://indrapura.nl/rijsttafels/indrapura/?lang=en

For 45 euros plus beverages, it wasn't exactly cheap - but it was the last dinner of a 10 night vacation, so I was happy to splurge.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:53 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Sketch in London was my favorite this year.

I ate at some other restaurants mentioned - State Bird Provisions (very good, but a very high volume and casual atmosphere so not quite the whole package, nor does it try to have that) and French Laundry (second visit and found over-rated and over-priced both times).
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
BBQ chicken in Bukhara. It was opposite our dive hotel. We asked for a menu, they shook their head, after much confusion we realised that this place only sold BBQ chicken. But my God, they knew how to cook a chicken! It was packed too. Unfortunately, I neither remember the name of the hotel nor the restaurant.

I went to Rockpool Bar and Grill on Christmas Eve, I guess I should give it an honourable mention, although the more I travel, the less I enjoy high end dining. The best food is rarely found there, YMMV.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:53 pm

Korean Chicken and Kona BBQ Ribs at Elephant Bar in Colorado Springs. Yum.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:16 pm

Both were while I was on vacation:

1-Veal Osso Buoco at Il Mulino (Ritz-Carlton, San Juan)
2-Tetsu (Japanese Hibachi style at Aria Las Vegas). Much different than your run of the mill hibachi. First time I've ever had lobster ceviche, delicious! The food was so fresh, they were killing it right in front of us (and that's no joke). AMAZING (so maybe I should reverse my order lol)
Old Dec 31, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Fog Harbor Fish House, SF. - wasn't expecting much on touristy Pier39, but very pleasantly surprised.
I'm a big fan of Scoma's down on Pier 47. There are surprisingly good places to eat down there.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both of mine were on vacation:

1. The Ledbury in London
2. Yam'tcha in Paris
Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
A wonderful medium rare ribeye, accompanied by yams with a slight hint of maple syrup and marshmallow, pear and blueberry salad, accompanied by a superb Gewürztraminer from the Alto Adige/Südtirol.

It wasn't the fanciest, or the most expensive, or the one most distant from my home - in fact, it was at home. Tonight.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:41 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I just thought of one of the better appetizers I ate last year, in Singapore-- a bacon-wrapped oyster. It was at a food fair in Ngee An City.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Both were on our trip to Barcelona, Spain this year. It was very close between the one-star Cinc Sentits and the two star Restaurant Lasarte. Both had amazing food with very unique items and presentations. Lasarte probably takes it on overall experience, but the food itself was nearly a tie.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:17 am

I threw a dinner for ten at Palazzo Versace back in February, was quite nice. Dukkah crusted quail for the entree, venison for the main and a chocolate caramel tart served with red wine soaked, gold leaf encrusted pear for dessert. Started of with a couple of bottles of Perrier Jouët before switching to a few Tanqueray 10 in-and-out Martinis made to perfection. Finished with a flawless roman latte.

To be honest though, the best meal I had this year was a sausage roll with ketchup from a convenience store at 3AM. That's proper food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.