Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cheese enchiladas

Cheese enchiladas

Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Still searching for that perfect home made enchilada and thought of this thread.

For the past several years I've been using this recipe for the sauce, so I think I have that down to my satisfaction.

http://www.cookingclassy.com/red-enc...-from-scratch/

Tried my hand at making corn tortillas from scratch and that didn't work so back to store bought. Currently using corn tortillas from The Cool Chile company in London.

Only problem is I just cannot replicate the exact texture I want. The tortilla is always somewhere between too soggy/disintegrating, or too dry. I want those tortillas intact, but soft! Now I'm thinking that maybe I'm not cooking them for the proper time, recommendations for which are all over the map. I've seen anywhere from low temp for 25 to 30 minutes, to high temp for 5 minutes, and anywhere in between. Does it really matter?? Still talking about just cheese and onion
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Still searching for that perfect home made enchilada and thought of this thread.

For the past several years I've been using this recipe for the sauce, so I think I have that down to my satisfaction.

http://www.cookingclassy.com/red-enc...-from-scratch/

Tried my hand at making corn tortillas from scratch and that didn't work so back to store bought. Currently using corn tortillas from The Cool Chile company in London.

Only problem is I just cannot replicate the exact texture I want. The tortilla is always somewhere between too soggy/disintegrating, or too dry. I want those tortillas intact, but soft!
The way I do this is to brush the individual tortillas lightly with vegetable oil, stack them in a tortilla warmer, and microwave them for one minute. Then, dredge them quickly one-by-one in the enchilada sauce. Not sure this will yield the exact texture that you are looking for, but it works for me.

Now I'm thinking that maybe I'm not cooking them for the proper time, recommendations for which are all over the map. I've seen anywhere from low temp for 25 to 30 minutes, to high temp for 5 minutes, and anywhere in between. Does it really matter?? Still talking about just cheese and onion
I usually finish them off by drizzling the sauce on top and topping with a light sprinkling of cheese, then into a 350F oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
The way I do this is to brush the individual tortillas lightly with vegetable oil, stack them in a tortilla warmer, and microwave them for one minute. Then, dredge them quickly one-by-one in the enchilada sauce. Not sure this will yield the exact texture that you are looking for, but it works for me.

I usually finish them off by drizzling the sauce on top and topping with a light sprinkling of cheese, then into a 350F oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
Thanks! I've tried a lot of things, but have not tried that. Will give the microwave idea a shot

Update - Pa Kettle: This turned out well. Thanks! The tortillas held their structure about as well as I could have hoped for. My only mistake was putting too much of the sauce on them before cooking. When they came out the sauce had cooked along with the enchiladas. Would have been much better to heat the sauce separately and drench the enchiladas after they came out.

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Nov 2, 2016 at 3:35 am
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:52 pm

I enjoy cheese enchiladas. The sauce on the enchiladas is tasty with the various spices used. I do enjoy having cheese in the sauce.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.