Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cities with highest number of restaurants per capita; San Francisco is #1 by far

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cities with highest number of restaurants per capita; San Francisco is #1 by far

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:17 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by serioustraveler
I met someone that legitimately though Red Lobster is good seafood... In fact she's never had lobster anywhere else.

It seems like chain restaurants at least get the bread/biscuits/breadsticks right, but seriously I always laugh when people think Olive Garden is authentic...

Then again while I was in Jamaica they though Burger king was amazing.
At the risk of not only going slightly off topic but also probably embarassing myself terribly, I will admit that the soup and salad deal at Olive Garden makes for a cheap, filling, and tasty lunch.

And it's very authentic... that is, authentic American chain restaurant food! :-) But it's good... and when I was a starving student, it was great.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by pnoeric
when I was a starving student, it was great.
When I was a starving student we had ramen and bread+peanut butter...

Hell that's what I still have as a starving business owner...

San Fran is nice and has a few decent restaurants, but my money is on the DC area for the QUALITY of the restaurants.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i tried to read their "raw" data from the census dept. it is very difficult to figure out who they are counting. i think i found the stat they are looking at. it is very very low compared to md and va.

the comment in the article that the areas with high tourist densities have high restaurant ratios. glad to see that. when i reverse that, get the tourists out of dc.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pnoeric
How interesting. I'm not surprised that SFO is first, but I am surprised that SFO is so far ahead of everywhere else. (Also, isn't it weird that "Orange County" is listed as a city, even though it's not?)
Yeah that's weird, the name literally states that it's a county... But I agree as well that I can't believe SFO is that far in the lead. Also now NYC is kind of weird I'd have though it would give SF a run for it's money. Guess there's just too many people.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Interesting national stats

Restaurants Per 10,000 Households (among top 100 metro areas)

San Francisco, CA 39.3
Fairfield, CT 27.6
Long Island, NY 26.5
New York, NY 25.3
Seattle, WA 24.9
San Jose, CA 24.8
Orange County, CA 24.8
Providence, RI 24.3
Boston, MA 24.2
Portland, OR 24.0

These places generally are more likely to have more interesting food, and less chain restaurants than most others. But I suppose it takes 20 little places to serve as many people as one Olive Garden serves in a day.
Having dine in all of the top 10 on this American list, IMHO I don't think SFO would even make the top 25 restaurant per capita density list worldwide.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Altoid
Also now NYC is kind of weird I'd have though it would give SF a run for it's money. Guess there's just too many people.
It's not NYC - it's "New York-NY/NJ" which must mean a larger metropolitan area than NYC proper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.