Reload this Page >

Lobster - Boil or Steam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lobster - Boil or Steam?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:11 am

Lobster is good and tasty in all its forms-boiled as well as steamed. But I personally liked boiled more as compared to steamed. Just give it a try with different flavors of wine. I am sue you gonna love it.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 5:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Pan fried, Baja California style.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Pan fried, Baja California style.
I had no idea what that was, but I looked it up and it sounds ridiculously good.

The traditional Puerto Nuevo Lobster is deep fried in lard. They are pan-fried in the lard so the meat of the lobster stays tender and succulent. A good 'ol Mexican beer or some ice cold coca-cola is a must with this dish. Of course don't forget the beans, spanish rice, limes, salsas, and flour and/or corn tortillas.

Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
A visual guide to what I do.

http://www.cooking-lobster.com/cooki...r-killing.html
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:56 pm

I was in Portland Maine this past weekend and saw live lobester for $3.49 a pound. I don't think I have ver seen it that cheap.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Northeast Chinese/Asian supermarkets had them occasionally for $2.99. $3.49-3.99 is the norm since this June.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I ususally get them at my local supermarket (Wegeman's, ShopRite etc) and have them steam them while I shop, then just pick them up before checking out. Much easier (for me) then having to cook them myself
Old Aug 12, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: LT NoN REV
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I prefer them grilled.

I buy them live and spilt them down the middle with a chef's knife, then throw them (still moving usually) on the grill.

Judge, jury and executioner.

+1
my grilled lobsters go well with my homemade yogurt dill dipping sauce
Old Aug 12, 2012, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There will always be the interesting debate whether instantaneous or painless death produce better quality meat like heavy chef's knife behind the head or bring cold water with lobster up to boil.

Does anyone have opinion on the result of the meat quality vs life ending methods?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
Does anyone have opinion on the result of the meat quality vs life ending methods?
There's probably more variation in other factors that dwarf the life-ending method.

But I would be willing to do more taste tests!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerd
There's probably more variation in other factors that dwarf the life-ending method.

But I would be willing to do more taste tests!
I am all for taste testing.

It would be hard to do a scientific test as to the tenderness of the muscle in a comfort/sudden death vs a shocking death. with before and after results.

I know that the traditional Asian method of emptying the lobster's bladder by inserting a single chopstick into the tail does produce less desirable tail meat base on a test of 14 with the sampling at half of each "method".
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
So all this talk of lobster mad me purchase all the fixins for a lobster feast last night. As I mentioned, I'm a boil guy, but had to try steaming last night.

I sauteed for a second some shallot and garlic, added a sauvignon blanc and some water. In the steam basket was potatoes covered in Old Bay and fresh corn. When they were almost done I added a layer of steamers. Unfortunately the lobsters would no longer fit so I emptied the basket and ate steamers while the lobsters cooked. Slightly tragic was forgetting to spoon out some dipping broth, but not a real big deal.

The lobster, though, while had a good flavor, was very salty. Also, I feel the flavor of the lobster is so delicate that even the light broth is too much. I loved it for everything else, but I'll stick with boiling the sea bug.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL KM
Broiled for sure. Butter and bread crumb paste down the split to keep moist.

The only way to fly!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
I have killed them with a knife before but I find it unsettling. I just hate that they won't stop moving! Crabs have the same damned problem.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Alpha
I have killed them with a knife before but I find it unsettling. I just hate that they won't stop moving! Crabs have the same damned problem.
Yeah. It is not particularly pleasant. They tend to flap like crazy while the knife is going through the head and you can get a "squishy" noise with a burst of liquid coming out. They also do continue to move for a while.

No one else in my family will be in the kitchen with me when I do the deed. They enjoy eating the results, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.