FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Lobster - Boil or Steam? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1372441-lobster-boil-steam.html)

Eastbay1K Jul 31, 2012 10:34 am

Lobster - Boil or Steam?

Discuss

cordelli Jul 31, 2012 10:37 am

I like to boil. For no other reason than it's usually got potatoes and corn and carrots in there too. I usually boil a couple of onions, celery, and old bay to season the water first.

If it's lobsters and clams, then I'll steam them, I prefer steamed clams to boiled.

WC_EEND Jul 31, 2012 2:23 pm

+1 for boiled lobster, I tend to put some selery, carrots, onions and herbs in the water as well when boiling it.

violist Jul 31, 2012 3:39 pm

A vote for steam. Takes less water, ergo less time to
come to temperature. You have to cook a little longer.
as vapor isn't as efficient transferring the heat, but I
think the total time is less, and the flavor just a bit
more intense.

skchin Jul 31, 2012 3:46 pm

Missed the $6.99 per tail at wholefoods.

uszkanni Jul 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by skchin (Post 19035906)
Missed the $6.99 per tail at wholefoods.

If your WF is like my WF thats 6.99 per 4 oz tail. That makes it something like $28/lb! And I think they're frozen/defrosted at that.

tentseller Aug 1, 2012 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by uszkanni (Post 19035941)
If your WF is like my WF thats 6.99 per 4 oz tail. That makes it something like $28/lb! And I think they're frozen/defrosted at that.

How much do you pay for lobster heads? :p

Swissaire Aug 1, 2012 8:26 pm

Steam, if you can.

Less water used as mentioned above. Water becomes steam at 100 C, or 212 F, and cooks quicker (at least in our experience) than the big boiling-up pot.

A few months ago we steam-cooked 9 lobster tails one night that were split with shears, and steamed with potatoes, corn, butter, and lemon in less than 20 minutes. All in one heavy oval alu-core stainless steamer, using 1 cup or less of water. The taste is better, more intense, and not washed out by boiling.

Fantastic !

uszkanni Aug 1, 2012 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 19043729)
How much do you pay for lobster heads? :p

LOL.

The same tails can be found at your local supermarket for less. If I buy whole live lobsters at my local Ablertsons I pay about $14/lb for heads, tails, claws and tamale. The heads and shells go into making a broth which I use for risotto and bisque.

Large (1-1.5 lb) frozen/defrosted tails can be had at Costco but I don't remember how much they cost per lb.

braslvr Aug 1, 2012 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by uszkanni (Post 19044070)
LOL.

Large (1-1.5 lb) frozen/defrosted tails can be had at Costco but I don't remember how much they cost per lb.

They were $19.99/lb for years. Last I looked a couple of months ago they were $24.99/lb in NorCal. Still, when we want lobster at home, that's the way we go every time.

BostonFlyer1624 Aug 2, 2012 4:06 am

Originally Posted by braslvr (Post 19044282)
They were $19.99/lb for years. Last I looked a couple of months ago they were $24.99/lb in NorCal. Still, when we want lobster at home, that's the way we go every time.

Thats crazy! Coming from Boston, I just bought a few lobsters at the local supermarket for $6.99/lb.

The New England lobster market is FLOODED with lobster this year - way too much lobster, not enough people buying. Even nice restaurants that once charged $20-25 per lobster roll are rolling back to $15.

uszkanni Aug 2, 2012 4:53 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624 (Post 19045368)
Thats crazy! Coming from Boston, I just bought a few lobsters at the local supermarket for $6.99/lb.

The New England lobster market is FLOODED with lobster this year - way too much lobster, not enough people buying. Even nice restaurants that once charged $20-25 per lobster roll are rolling back to $15.

I keep hearing this but haven't seen the prices reflected in local markets out here (Santa Monica, CA). Maybe a trip to Chinatown is in order.

Jay2261 Aug 2, 2012 5:05 am

Cruel anyway you do it in my opinion! :0(

tentseller Aug 2, 2012 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Jay2261 (Post 19045510)
Cruel anyway you do it in my opinion! :0(

Someone mention the humane way to cook them is to use room temperature water with them in the water and then heat up the water on high setting.

PresRDC Aug 2, 2012 9:02 am

I prefer them grilled.

I buy them live and spilt them down the middle with a chef's knife, then throw them (still moving usually) on the grill.

Judge, jury and executioner. ;)