Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
The "Club Sandwich" thread

the best club sandwich I can recall was at

Lindey's in Columbus, OH
Old Apr 11, 2004, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
If you are ever driving through British Columbia, you will come to a small town named Hope. In Hope is a very simple restaurant called the Home (ask any local) where I guarantee you will find the largest (and among the best) clubhouse sandwiches on the continent.

Incidentally, I'm currently working through the South Beach Diet after one cruise too many and I hope the pain I caused myself in writing this and thinking about clubhouse sandwiches is appreciated.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 8:23 pm

Hyatt Pier 66

the amenity at Hyatt peir 66 CAN be a club and aussie wine.
the club was just sensational!

then I had one at the pool and it was so so.

The Sydney Hilton used to have great clubs.before it closed.

Had a room service one adn Sheraton on the Park in sydney and it was very ordinary-and cold and had a $4 service charge attached.
Had I signed for it I wouldnt have been happy.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Room service at the Keio Plaza in Tokyo deliver a really nice club sandwich.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
The "Club Sandwich" thread

Can anyone eat a standard club sandwich without incident (i.e. able to get their mouth around it to get a bite; the sandwich doesn't fall apart quickly)?

I'm about to stop ordering them altogether unless there's some trick I'm missing.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Much easier to eat if you order it with just 2 slices of bread instead of the usual 3 slices.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I don't have an issue with what you are describing. Maybe you need to reassess your technique.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by oneant
Can anyone eat a standard club sandwich without incident (i.e. able to get their mouth around it to get a bite; the sandwich doesn't fall apart quickly)?

I'm about to stop ordering them altogether unless there's some trick I'm missing.
I (pathetically, perhaps) eat them with a knife and fork to avoid an incident like that.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:00 pm

I've never had a problem getting my mouth around a club sandwich, two or three layers of bread. In fact, I could do justice to a Denny's club sandwich right about now
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:19 pm

Remove the middle slice of bread (or, as Obscure2K said, order it with only 2 slices).

If it's a decent club, it'll be made with a "real" (i.e., whole) chicken breast and not the press-formed "luncheon" meat crap that's all too often used (Oscar Myer, I'm looking at you).
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:27 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uszkanni
If it's a decent club...
it also won't be overstuffed with iceberg lettuce, where the lettuce is 1/3+ of the sandwich.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Much easier to eat if you order it with just 2 slices of bread instead of the usual 3 slices.
That is a great idea! I'll try that next time.

It never occurred to me to take off the middle slice since I thought the double-decker thing was THE main component that made it a Club sandwich. Like ordering a taco without the tortilla.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Always easier if you don't try to eat the toothpick and its tassel with the first bite of every little triangle....
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:05 am

I do away with the bread and order it as a salad. Especially good if it's a lobster club.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:27 am

A true club sandwich--and I am thinking of memories from childhood--is so good that any considerations of how to approach it are inconsequential.

Just out of curiosity, how do you define a club sandwich? I have seen it defined by the inclusion of bacon. You do mention three slices of bread, which to me are critical.

I define it as having three slices of white bread, toasted, with mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, sliced American cheese (optional), and sliced meat of some variety, ham or turkey usually. These ingredients are assembled, then quartered, and then each quarter is held together with a toothpick covered with cellophane (as mentioned by upstream poster). These are then arranged on a small plate with a few potato chips in the center and a pickle slice or two.

These should be served only at an old-fashioned drugstore that has a section set aside for sandwiches, malts, and floats, the drinks handmade, using scooped ice cream. Unfortunately, this type of drugstore no longer exists--SFAIK, that is--so it is impossible to have a truly "authentic" club sandwich.

Not that I wouldn't take the other kind--or yours too, should I be seated nearby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.