Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
If you want impressive labels, get a cristal or a krug or a dom.
Oh yeah, I've had plenty of them on my FC flights with SQ & CX. ^
Old May 29, 2008, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Is it me or is Jacquart champagne revolting?

I've drunk a variety of Champagnes in BC and FC but the one I've found most revolting is Jacquard. First came across it last year as that's what was served in lounges and short-haul BC on AF (it's the normal long-haul BC offering too but fortunately there was a Bollinger promotion early last year). Seems it's also what LH is offering in long-haul BC. Is it my personal taste or do others concur?

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; May 29, 2008 at 1:18 pm
Old May 29, 2008, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I'll say it's you. I've had no issues with that particular brand.
Old May 29, 2008, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think it is quite decent. it is considered to be equivalent to all the mass produced mid priced labels. made form the same batches of grapes as all the rest. if NV, perhaps you got some that was quite old.
Old May 29, 2008, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it a bit more sour and tart (didn't give it a critical taste) than I like, and this was from at least 3 separate flights (and hopefully bottles!) and at least 1 tasting on the ground. I presume it's the lowest-priced in the line (LH serves the Brut Mosaique).
Old May 29, 2008, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sounds like very little dossage, and no yeastie taste. could be trying to make a very dry with not enough guts to follow through. is a coop wine, do not know how much variation in the label.
Old May 30, 2008, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sounds like very little dossage, and no yeastie taste. could be trying to make a very dry with not enough guts to follow through. is a coop wine, do not know how much variation in the label.
Definitely no yeastie taste, not even a subtle hint of one (which is fine by me). I wonder if QC isn't that great and/or the worse stuff gets fobbed onto the airlines cheap. I see about 4 years ago, it was retailing in the U.K. for GBP 12 a bottle.

I have come across wine in batches (low end of an Aussie label) where there were said to be 4 different batches and taste varied greatly among the 4 batches.
Old May 30, 2008, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I have no problem with it; IMHO, it is better than the Pommery currently served on BA in CE and its dreadful Monopole predecessor.
Old May 31, 2008, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

I have come across wine in batches (low end of an Aussie label) where there were said to be 4 different batches and taste varied greatly among the 4 batches.
usually it is the other way around. most low end wines are finished/blended/ etc in a very large container. most high end wines come from smaller barrels to bottle. many of the first and second labels are decided by tasting the individual barrels and grading as such. remember being at Château Prieuré-Lichine once and asked why the chalk X's on some of the barrels. those were the ones adjudged to be second label.
Old May 31, 2008, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

usually it is the other way around. most low end wines are finished/blended/ etc in a very large container. most high end wines come from smaller barrels to bottle. many of the first and second labels are decided by tasting the individual barrels and grading as such. remember being at Château Prieuré-Lichine once and asked why the chalk X's on some of the barrels. those were the ones adjudged to be second label.
Usually, but in that case, the quantities were so huge (we're talking one of the major Aussie labels' entry-level wines) that it may have exceeded the annual output of several French AOCs combined.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
BA champers

Originally Posted by JOUY31
I have no problem with it; IMHO, it is better than the Pommery currently served on BA in CE and its dreadful Monopole predecessor.
Have to agree with you on this. They're both just nasty. I'd rather go without especially as they're often served lukewarm.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: Free Agent
Need suggestions for a champagne stopper

Can anybody suggest a good champagne stopper? Being single, I'd be hard pressed to drink a bottle of champagne in one night. Yeah, yeah, I know that's not an excuse for some FT'ers

But are there good ones, bad ones, or will just any $5 one work?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you cannot vacuvan(trademark). all you can do is cram a cork in it. you can cram a vacuvan cork in it, but cannot pump it down.

i had some device that would allow me to pump air into the bottle, which kept the bubbles, but ruined the wine.

if there is such a thing that would seal, then replace the air with nitrogen, that would be best, but i am not famaliar with such a device for home use.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 5:08 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by Condition One
Can anybody suggest a good champagne stopper? Being single, I'd be hard pressed to drink a bottle of champagne in one night. Yeah, yeah, I know that's not an excuse for some FT'ers

But are there good ones, bad ones, or will just any $5 one work?
I have a standard one for about 5 EUR, which really makes a good job.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:48 am

SteelCork

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.