Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are some of the most over-rated steakhouses in major US cities?(or anywhere else

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are some of the most over-rated steakhouses in major US cities?(or anywhere else

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Excellent, sounds like Ray's is a good recommendation. I will definitely check it out.
Meh.

Ray's tops my list of DC/NoVA most over-rated. On my latest visit, the steak was memorably tough, stringy, and fatty. On both of the last two visits, I had to send the steak back to be cooked more, and medium's just not that hard to get right. YMMV.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed Flemings in Tyson's Corner. I know it's a chain, but the steaks, sides, and service were all top notch.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by CUTiger78
On the other hand, I really enjoyed Flemings in Tyson's Corner. I know it's a chain, but the steaks, sides, and service were all top notch.
The Flemings I've visited around the country have always been solid. Good recommendation.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CUTiger78
Meh.

Ray's tops my list of DC/NoVA most over-rated. On my latest visit, the steak was memorably tough, stringy, and fatty. On both of the last two visits, I had to send the steak back to be cooked more, and medium's just not that hard to get right. YMMV.

Since we will be working near Tysons tomorrow and Friday, maybe we can give Flemings a look-see.

I also just now remembered how bad The Palm location at Tysons has been and it belongs on the "over-rated" list since it really now is mostly an after work meeting place for the office workers around there.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by monitor
I also just now remembered how bad The Palm location at Tysons has been and it belongs on the "over-rated" list since it really now is mostly an after work meeting place for the office workers around there.
ditto
Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
I have seen several comments about The Palm and will have to concur; in fact that was what I was coming in here to post about. I've only been to the one in Dallas, but I have been perplexed for years about why anyone would go there. It's barely average and at nice steakhouse prices, I expect food a whole lot better than average. Also, the decor was ridiculously shabby for a supposedly "nice" place.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, HI Platinum, Delta Platinum
Chains are inconsistent - my experience with two chains last five years or so

The Palm, Tampa, FL - (twice) - Great Steak, perfectly cooked (Pittsburgh)
The Palm, Orlando, FL - (once) - Meat not tender, over cooked
The Palm, San Antonio, TX - (twice) - Great Steak, perfectly cooked
The Palm, Nashville, TN - (once) - Great Steak, cooked OK
The Palm, Atlanta, GA - (five or six times) Once, steak with no flavor and tough, other times, good but not great

Ruth Chris, New Orleans, LA Original Location - (five times) Excellent each time!
Ruth Chris, Orlando, FL (twice) once good, once great
Ruth Chris, Baton Rouge, LA - (once) if I judged Ruth Chris by this experience I would never return to a Ruth Chris
Ruth Chris, Birmingham, AL (twice) disappointing, but not as bad as BR
Ruth Chris, Atlanta (Buckhead), GA (twice) very good both times
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I find any of the "chain" steakhouses overrated and inconsistant, including Palm, Capital Grill, Mortons, Flemmings, Smith & Wollensky and Ruths Chris.

And, dare I say, I think Peter Luger in NYC is overrated. Is it good steak? Yes. Has it really been the best steak in NYC for the last 24 years? Puleasssse.... And at rarely a meal below $100 a person, accepting credit cards would be nice (aside from their house card).
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Another vote for Ruth's Chris in the most-overrated category.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by vasantn
Would have to agree. Been there once and it did not impress me that much. (I didnt even set my expectations very high)
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vasantn
Agreement here. I've been to four or five of them and only one (Las Vegas) was worth the stop.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
The Palm. Paid the first time in Dallas. Wouldn't have gone back, but was treated by vendors in subsequent visits in Vegas and Orlando. Orlando was the worst.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by SFflyer123

bourbon steak in San Francisco
Aventura, FL/Turnberry Isle also is a good location, in fact I think I will reserve a table next month

Smith and Wollensky <--- Sub-par food, horrible surf and turf, AND your wallet is raped when you leave too.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I have a new rub that goes just wondefully on a sirloin, makes the best steak I have ever eaten.. I will never eat steak at a restaurant again.

My daughter, a pseudo-vegatarian*, loves it.

*Don't ask. It's a 17 year old thing.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Gamecock
I have a new rub that goes just wondefully on a sirloin, makes the best steak I have ever eaten.. I will never eat steak at a restaurant again.

My daughter, a pseudo-vegatarian*, loves it.

*Don't ask. It's a 17 year old thing.
OK. So you're not gonna share the recipe?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Gibson's in Chicago...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.