Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are some of the most over-rated steakhouses in major US cities?(or anywhere else

What are some of the most over-rated steakhouses in major US cities?(or anywhere else

Old Mar 18, 11, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

What are some of the most over-rated steakhouses in major US cities?(or anywhere else for that matter?)

I'll start off by nominating Peter Luger in NYC. One of best best steaks I've
ever had, short of Kobe beef.... end of nice things that I can say about them.
After the meal, I felt like my wallet was raped.

Don't get me wrong.... I do not mind paying top dollars for great food. It's a sick habit that I acquired since age 18.(when I robbed money for a $500 a head caviar tasting party in Leningrad)
Old Mar 19, 11, 12:42 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Mile Flyer
Pretty much every one of them. The only steaks I've ever had in restaurants that were as good or better than I've had from the grills of private homes are those from the oak fired pits in Santa Maria, CA and vicinity.
Old Mar 19, 11, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Smith and Wollensky New York. Loud and crowded (tables very close) and the food didn't wow me.

We stumbled on a GREAT place in Orlando. Vito's Chop house. We NEVER miss it when we are there. The steaks are wonderful. Cooked over wood. Great atmosphere and service.
Old Mar 20, 11, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by braslvr View Post
Pretty much every one of them.
In the US, certainly. Some great steaks (and some only "good" but still on par with a "great" in the US) in Argentina and Uruguay, but the US steakhouse is vastly overpriced - especially chains like Ruth's Chris.
Old Mar 20, 11, 5:36 pm

Programs: VS AU, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond
StripSteak at Mandalay Bay in LAS. What a waste of time and money.
Old Mar 20, 11, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Why is it that I am confused by this OP? He says that the steak at Peter Luger was "one of the best he ever had" and then complains that it was too expensive and by implication (found in his thread title) that Peter Luger is one of "the most over-rated steakhouses..."

Then he goes on to say that he does "not mind paying top dollars for great food.."

So what does this OP mean by this thread? Is it that since he got the one of the best steaks he ever had he begrudged the check that he got even tho he claims that the money is not important when the food is great?
Old Mar 21, 11, 1:18 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by braslvr View Post
Pretty much every one of them. The only steaks I've ever had in restaurants that were as good or better than I've had from the grills of private homes are those from the oak fired pits in Santa Maria, CA and vicinity.
+1. In general I find steak to be boring, but I do enjoy it from time to time.

If I were to spend $$$$ on steak, I'd order from a local specialty provider like Flannery's (shoot, or even the good stuff from Whole Foods), do pseudo dry-aging in my fridge, cook it at home, and get a much better end product than 99.9999999999999% of steakhouses in the US.
Old Mar 21, 11, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by monitor View Post
Why is it that I am confused by this OP? He says that the steak at Peter Luger was "one of the best he ever had" and then complains that it was too expensive and by implication (found in his thread title) that Peter Luger is one of "the most over-rated steakhouses..."

Then he goes on to say that he does "not mind paying top dollars for great food.."

So what does this OP mean by this thread? Is it that since he got the one of the best steaks he ever had he begrudged the check that he got even tho he claims that the money is not important when the food is great?
You are not the only one confused. I have been thinking the same thing. How can one of the best steaks you've ever had be over-rated???
Old Mar 21, 11, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jakuda View Post
If I were to spend $$$$ on steak, I'd order from a local specialty provider like Flannery's... do pseudo dry-aging in my fridge, cook it at home, and get a much better end product than 99.9999999999999% of steakhouses in the US.
Unless you've got very specialized equipment at home, you can't produce the proper heat for searing. I don't know about you, but my grill won't pump much higher than 500-550 degrees.

Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
You are not the only one confused. I have been thinking the same thing. How can one of the best steaks you've ever had be over-rated???
Concur the OP's opening blast made not much sense. You either like Luger's or you don't... I do.

As for overrated places... Seattle for some reason reveres a local place called El Gaucho, which used to run a long, rambling, full-page, three-column, entirely fake "review" in the airline magazines concluding soberly that El Gaucho was "the best steakhouse in the country," which was to laugh. There's three or four better places just in Seattle.
Old Mar 21, 11, 4:49 am

I nominate Capitol Grille, but then again, I'm not sure if it is highly-rated or not. I only know I thought it was nothing special compared to other, better places I've been.
Old Mar 21, 11, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ruth's Chris - overpriced, especially given that other 'chain' steak restaurants are better and cheaper nearby! (Not trying to compare chain with high end, just chain with chain).
Old Mar 21, 11, 11:43 am

Palm in Las Vegas. My steak wasn't that great--I'd had many better steaks for much less money in Las Vegas (even factoring in a discount coupon I used for the Palm). To top it off, the tables were crammed so close together that it was difficult to move through the restaurant, and it was a little creepy--when I asked my GF if she knew where the bathroom was, the neighboring couple answered (I was using my 'indoor voice', not being a loudmouth).
Old Mar 21, 11, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by potove View Post
What are some of the most over-rated steakhouses in major US cities?(or anywhere else for that matter?)

I'll start off by nominating Peter Luger in NYC. One of best best steaks I've
ever had, short of Kobe beef.... end of nice things that I can say about them.
After the meal, I felt like my wallet was raped.

Don't get me wrong.... I do not mind paying top dollars for great food. It's a sick habit that I acquired since age 18.(when I robbed money for a $500 a head caviar tasting party in Leningrad)
I am always amazed when folks post about the prices at Luger's (or any other NYC steakhouse). It's not like they don't disclose the prices or that it's a secret that it's expensive. How can people go there and then say they felt like their "wallet was raped" (not a particularly sensitive analogy, BTW)? If it was "one of the best steaks" you've ever had, wouldn't you expect the price to correlate?

I guess I am not the only one confused by the OP based on other responses in this thread.
Old Mar 21, 11, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Her Majesty's Prison UK, scheduled release date June 21st
Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Any of the Outback Steakhouses. Ruth's Chris or whatever it is called. The steaks in 9 Fine Irishmen in Vegas were appalling. Manny's chophouse in Haines City, FL was good though. The Cats in Los Gatos, CA was the best though until the owner decided she was not going to reopen after one Christmas break. Henry's Hi-Life in San Jose, CA is good - my only gripe with that place is that when I took a work party there they did not point out they add 18% (or whatever it was) automatically and I then added a tip to it again. I just think that is underhand and classless.
Old Mar 21, 11, 1:26 pm

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by lancebanyon View Post
I nominate Capitol Grille, but then again, I'm not sure if it is highly-rated or not. I only know I thought it was nothing special compared to other, better places I've been.
I'll concur about Capital Grille. While I did enjoy the sides, I was really disappointed by the steak (and the price for what I got).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: