Wiki Posts
Search

The cognac thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:29 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Yes, it's one of my favorites; and at an amazing price point.....
A brilliant product filling the void between VSOP and XO and they picked a nice "candy" blend (graham cracker/marshmallow flavour) that suits modern tastes. Personally I prefer a heavier style such as Otard or Camus at similar price point, or if spending double then the Camus Extraordinaire is great value in the super-XO class.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
A brilliant product filling the void between VSOP and XO and they picked a nice "candy" blend (graham cracker/marshmallow flavour) that suits modern tastes. Personally I prefer a heavier style such as Otard or Camus at similar price point, or if spending double then the Camus Extraordinaire is great value in the super-XO class.
I'll have to get my hands on a bottle of Camus. Is the extraordinaire as expensive as the Remy XO?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by htown
I'll have to get my hands on a bottle of Camus. Is the extraordinaire as expensive as the Remy XO?
Definitely not in Europe, don't know about the other side of the pond. Hennessy XO and Rémy are the more costly options (both my favourite XOs!).
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:21 am

One of our large local liquor stores received the Louis XIII Rare Cask 42.6. $22k each bottle!

http://blog.chron.com/beertx/2013/09...in/#16072101=0

The last time I went in, they only had one left. I believe they got 6 of them. Pretty nuts to spend $22k on one bottle.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:59 am

That's crazy. My finest cognac moment was having Louis XIII from a 50 year old bottle. Fortunately I don't know the cost!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
Definitely not in Europe, don't know about the other side of the pond. Hennessy XO and Rémy are the more costly options (both my favourite XOs!).
Yep, you can't go wrong with either one of them. When I was Gold, I used to be able to get Remy XO as my free drink. I gladly took that over the points. ^
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:04 pm

http://goo.gl/i0OK5g

I have had both, the '74 is better and better yet if you are in the area is the '64 from below. I bought 4 bottles.

Domaine de Beauregard
Millésime 1980
Monsieur DAUCHEZ, 354 route de Beauregard - 40270 CASTANDET
Tel: 05.58.44.05.32

Last edited by mlhm5; Jan 2, 2014 at 1:46 pm
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:46 pm
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
I am a big fan of Frapin Chateau Fontpinot, a lot cheaper than the totally overpriced Remy and Hennessy XO.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:38 pm

Hennessy XO is one of my favorites. Paradis is even better.

I think Paul Giraud is superb and well priced. I also like Camus, Martell, and many others.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Hennessy XO is one of my favorites. Paradis is even better.

I think Paul Giraud is superb and well priced. I also like Camus, Martell, and many others.
I never had the Paradis but have heard it was great.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:42 pm

I never had the Paradis but have heard it was great.
It is fantastic. I pick it up sometimes at duty free as an indulgence, or as a special gift for someone.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:57 pm

Yep, you can't go wrong with either one of them. When I was Gold, I used to be able to get Remy XO as my free drink. I gladly took that over the points. ^
I don't know which program's Gold status you are referring to, but Remy XO certainly is not a bad free drink to receive!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:31 am

I'd guess SPG.

Fully agreed - Hennessy Paradis is great. Richard is overpriced imo. I haven't tried Ellips, sadly.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Just stumbled on this thread which is unfortunate as I've been in the Charente (Maritime version - a.k.a dept 17) for the past month+. Seems pineau de charente is the favored drink here as 5/6th of Cognac production is exported (and not that much available either - locals seem to prefer scottish whiskey for new years by a long mile). Been drinking the local bois ordinaire stuff as I am out near the coast and not inland where the vaunted Grand and Petit champagne areas are.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I don't know which program's Gold status you are referring to, but Remy XO certainly is not a bad free drink to receive!
There was one location (won't be named) that was able to give it to me as SPG gold. I think it's only supposed to be a free drink up to $10 but the bartender always took care of me. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.