The McRib is Back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The McRib is Back

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
These used to be sooooooooo good back in the day. I had one this year and was not impressed. I had one last year and was not impressed. I used to like these so much that I tried to get ILUVTOFLY to talk to his friend at McDonalds to make this a permanent menu item. I'll probably have another one next year but they don't bring me the joy they once used to.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I don't believe for one second that this the very last time the McRib will be offered...but I bought two yesterday. Yikes, talk about tiny.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by korea71
These used to be sooooooooo good back in the day. I had one this year and was not impressed. I had one last year and was not impressed. I used to like these so much that I tried to get ILUVTOFLY to talk to his friend at McDonalds to make this a permanent menu item. I'll probably have another one next year but they don't bring me the joy they once used to.
Is there any chance that your taste buds have become more sophisticated? I remember as a child my favourite food was Chinese takeaway in the Netherlands.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I don't believe for one second that this the very last time the McRib will be offered...but I bought two yesterday. Yikes, talk about tiny.
I still have never tried one of these---I guess the pressure is on now. So they shrunk them (like so many other foods out there) too?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by corky
I still have never tried one of these---I guess the pressure is on now. So they shrunk them (like so many other foods out there) too?
They keep getting discontinued before I can get around to trying them. Was it early /mid'80s that it came out? I still lament the disappearance of the $2 for 2 Big Macs.

Despite all the coupon offers that get into my mailbox every 2-3 months, I find McDs costs way too much in my neck of the woods.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So they shrunk them (like so many other foods out there) too?
What's odd is that while the meat of the sandwich has shrunk just a little, it feels like the bun has shrunk a good 40%.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
What's odd is that while the meat of the sandwich has shrunk just a little, it feels like the bun has shrunk a good 40%.
Shrinking the bun makes the meat look bigger?
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I tried one. I don't get the hype. It's fake smokey flavour with an overly sweet BBQ sauce. Give me a double quarter pounder any day of the week over the McRib.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 2:45 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I worked for McD's when they first came out many eons ago. There used to be 2 versions, the other with a Sweet & Sour Sauce. Once the Meat was cooked, it was put into the Sauce immediately and held there, allowing the meat to absorb the flavor of the sauce into the patty. Tonight, I actually went inside to pick up my app order and watched how they are put together now. There is a tray of Sauce held in the holding bin to keep it warm, and the meat patty, after cooked, is placed into another tray. When a sandwich is ordered, they take the patty from the tray, drain the excess fat it is sitting in, dip it into the sauce tray and place it on the bun with the pickles and onions.

I believe that is why it no longer tastes the same as it did years ago. I used to look forward to having it and would go multiple times a week to get one, but no longer. Also, the price point of $4.89 just for the sandwich is a little too steep for me. I am a cheap person, so I used the deals in the app to buy cheaper stuff when I want to eat there now.

Off topic, but I wish the special sandwiches would be available in the app. We recently had a Chicken Big Mac, but could not order it through the app, so I never got to try it. Also, the Cheddar Melt (Qtr Lb. with Cheddar Cheese Sauce and grilled onions on a Rye styled bun) was another favorite limited time sandwich I liked. But, due to dumbing down the kitchen to make it easier to produce sandwiches quickly, it will not be brought back.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:08 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by korea71
These used to be sooooooooo good back in the day. I had one this year and was not impressed. I had one last year and was not impressed. I'll probably have another one next year but they don't bring me the joy they once used to.
Save yourself some time & money, don't bother to try one this year.

I tried one recently and the only ok ingredient were the pickles, everything else about it was horrible. LIke yourself, I can't believe I used to really enjoy McRibs

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Nov 16, 2022 at 8:24 pm
Old Nov 17, 2022, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Off topic, but I wish the special sandwiches would be available in the app. We recently had a Chicken Big Mac, but could not order it through the app, so I never got to try it. Also, the Cheddar Melt (Qtr Lb. with Cheddar Cheese Sauce and grilled onions on a Rye styled bun) was another favorite limited time sandwich I liked. But, due to dumbing down the kitchen to make it easier to produce sandwiches quickly, it will not be brought back.
My app lists the limited time specials and collab meals such as the smoky BLT quarter pounder.
Old May 24, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Is there any chance that your taste buds have become more sophisticated? I remember as a child my favourite food was Chinese takeaway in the Netherlands.
I hope not. LOL I still enjoy my junk food now and then. Just think the McRib has steadily gone downhill throughout the years, Extra pickles and no onions for me. Personally, I wouldn't try to eat it in the car as the patty can get slippery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.