Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you wash frozen fruit?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2010, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

I make a smoothie about every day. I never really thought about it until now, but should I wash the frozen fruit?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I've never thought about it either. I don't and don't plan to.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
I wouldn't unless I thought they might be gritty.

Any nasties generally can't survive more than a month in the deep freeze.

Audrey
Old Jun 21, 2010, 1:50 am

I don't even wash fresh fruit.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 7:31 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I am not sure how one would wash frozen fruit. If you pour water on the frozen fruit the water whether cold or warm would tend to stick to the already frozen fruit.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:08 am

I never heard of freezing fruit. What kind of fruit would you freeze and why?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by b1513
Grocery stores have entire freezer cases filled with frozen fruit of various types. I assume this is what the OP is talking about, since this is what is typically used in smoothies. You add it frozen and it serves as both the fruit and ice components.

It would never occur to me to wash it before using.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:36 am

The very first post answers your question, at least as to the "why."

Frozen grapes are one of the great treats - I buy fresh ones, wash and freeze them and snack on them later. They have an interesting consistency and they are very refreshing.

Costco sells a 4 lb. bag of frozen blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. They're great, as described above, for smoothies. They are also great for baking. I nuke them briefly and enjoy them on cereal if don't have fresh berries handy. I also throw them in fruity drinks - better than ice cubes. You can also thaw them with (or without) a little sugar and use as a great sundae topping.

My mother used to freeze fruit (especially apples and peaches - washed, peeled and sliced) for later use in pies.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis

Frozen grapes are one of the great treats - I buy fresh ones, wash and freeze them and snack on them later. They have an interesting consistency and they are very refreshing.

Costco sells a 4 lb. bag of frozen blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. They're great, as described above, for smoothies. They are also great for baking. I nuke them briefly and enjoy them on cereal if don't have fresh berries handy. I also throw them in fruity drinks - better than ice cubes. You can also thaw them with (or without) a little sugar and use as a great sundae topping.

My mother used to freeze fruit (especially apples and peaches - washed, peeled and sliced) for later use in pies.
I did read the first post but didn't know that you needed to freeze the fruit. But, now I see what the OP is talking about.
Funny you should mention grapes because I freeze them too but totally forgot about that. I was picturing freezing a fresh peach, fresh pineapple, etc.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:02 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ILuvParis

I make great tasting smoothies out of those Costco 4lb bags of fruit and also let some thaw overnight and use them in my yogurt. It is their own brand Kirkland. Also, rinse under cold water, let dry and then freeze fresh blueberries for winter use,
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:05 pm

I did read the first post but didn't know that you needed to freeze the fruit. But, now I see what the OP is talking about.
Funny you should mention grapes because I freeze them too but totally forgot about that. I was picturing freezing a fresh peach, fresh pineapple, etc.
You don't need to freeze the fruit for a smoothie, but you can use frozen fruit in addition to, or instead of ice, to make it really icy - if you like them that way.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:38 pm
Suspended

That depends on the fresh fruit I guess. The only reason you'd really need to do that is to wash off pesticides. That likely depends on the kind of fruit, whether or not it is organic and if it has been washed already.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
No, never. Because a) Why would you need to? and b) It's hard to wash sshit that's frozen. @:-)
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:48 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Never heard of the need to wash frozen fruit..... and yes, I agree that whenever possible one should avoid frozen foods, not just frozen fruit.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:56 am

I figure freezing does something to kill germs. I have started washing things like cantaloupe after reading that by cutting through the rind you're introducing all sorts of bacteria etc into the fruit itself, so I wash the outside rind before cutting cantaloupe or watermelon.,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.