Found some great wines in the cellar

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Found some great wines in the cellar

Any ideas what do to with these? Hold? Sell? Drink now?

1976 Romanee St. Vivant
1993 Penfolds Grange
1970 Maison Chateaux la Mission Haute Brion
1971 Chateaux Ausone St. Emilion
1995 Chateaux Lafite Rothschild
1990 D'Yquem
1992 Dom Perignon
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:56 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Whoa, congrats.

Depends on your financial projections, but I'd sell most. The '90s ones
could mostly be held.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Found" as in "maybe they belong to someone else"?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
I say go ahead and drink them all, if stored right they could all be really superb right now. If you need to hold onto a couple, hold the 95 bordeaux and the 93 grange for a bit more and see how long you can go with the d'yquem.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Nice find! I'm happy if I find a fin on the ground.

Maybe you could get a one time exception on CC and put them up for trade. I have a couple of lounge passes and drink chits...

...And the yquem should outlive us all by a decent margin.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:23 pm
mjm
Original Member

It is the opinion of this small minority of one that the climate in Tokyo is ideal, truly ideal to store the 1990 D'Yquem.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy

1976 Romanee St. Vivant
1993 Penfolds Grange
1990 D'Yquem
1992 Dom Perignon
Who produced the Romanee st. vivant? It should be listed in smaller font below the Romanee part.

You have a nice find of wines. Drink them all. The reds will most likely need decanting as sediment should have most likely precipitated out.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

1976 Romanee St. Vivant
1993 Penfolds Grange
1990 D'Yquem
1992 Dom Perignon

How much are you asking? PM if you want to sell.

These wines would be a blast to drink. Ideally with somebody else who enjoys wine.

If I "found" these in my cellar I would immediately arrange a tasting with my fellow wino’s of all of the ‘70’s vintage. They are likely a bit tired, but very interesting nonetheless. During the same event: For aperitif have the ’92 Dom.; dessert the ’90 D’Yquem. Your friends will love you for that tasting!

The ’93 Grange is about at its peak, but should drink great for a few more years.
Hold the ’95 Lafite for another 10 years – or more. It is a great wine for a special occasion.

One final note: The '76 really needs to have the producer identified to be certain what you have - should have wording something like: Domaine de la Romanée-Conti (that would be really nice).

Last edited by Surface Interval; Mar 2, 2010 at 7:52 pm
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jakuda
Who produced the Romanee st. vivant? It should be listed in smaller font below the Romanee part.
Sorry, they are from Domaine Michel Voarick & Fils. Proprietaire a Aloxe-Corton. I think these may be pretty valuable. Might sell those and drink the others.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:13 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by violist
Depends on your financial projections, but I'd sell most. The '90s ones
could mostly be held.
<Sigh>

And this is why there is an entire generation of wine lovers who will never taste the classics.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Stimpy,

You're invited to the 3rd annual post BRT wine do 3 in June in NYC.
I'll eventually post the thread. This is the perfect place to share the wealth.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Plat
Sorry, they are from Domaine Michel Voarick & Fils. Proprietaire a Aloxe-Corton. I think these may be pretty valuable. Might sell those and drink the others.
The problem with selling old wine is provenance. Collectors like to be reassured that the wines being offered were stored in (near) perfect conditions and the bottles/cork/labels are in pristine condition will good fill levels.

Personally, unless I were really hurting for cash, I'd open these (not all in one night) with friends and family for any occasion like Sunday dinner.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you are in the usa, and you have at least half a case of each, you might consider sending them to the chicago wine auction. they move slowly, but the money comes. i sent 22 or so cases of big name 88 &89 burgundy to them. took a year to go through it. i think chicago restaurants put them on their lists, and then bought them one bottle at a time, as needed.

the only wines of that bunch that i think is going to be tired is the Dom. that, however may be my taste. if that has been laying around for 10 years since disgorged, it will be wine only for a brit. 76 burgundy is very old, and unless really properly stored, is going to be very tired. my 90's are very ready. like right now or forget it.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond

If you have only one of each, I would say enjoy them now. Not all at once, but decant one for a couple of days and savor it, assuming it's still drinkable (you don't say how it was stored or anything). Invite a few friends over, grab a recent vintage of whatever it is you are sharing that night, and compare what a difference the years makes, good or bad.

If you have multiple bottles of each, I would set a baseline now by having one. Then following the recent advice of Todd Anderson, every six months have another one. If after six months it's better then it was six months ago, put it back in the cellar till the next six months go by.

If it's the same or if the flavor is starting to faulter, then invite all your friends over and have a party with what's left and know you are drinking it very close to it's peak.

I would not look up the prices if I were you if you are going to drink them. Don't let the value keep you from enjoying it saying hey, it's worth that much, maybe I should hold it or sell it. I think expensive wine is best drunk when you open the wrong bottle by mistake and don't realize the value of it.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The wines are located in the Netherlands. I know they have been well stored for over 10 years, but not sure about beyond that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.