Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are chain restaurants so popular in the US?

Why are chain restaurants so popular in the US?

Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I think a bunch of reasons make chains viable - cheap, (large) portions, standardized foods, familiarity of items on menu and speedy service.

For a family on a tight income, its a way of going out without blowing the bank. For those who are in a hurry, it is fast, easy and relatively cheap.

For many, if you look around you could probably find similar local fare, but most people would never bother to try out something else, for fear it sucks.

As for ethnic foods, PF Changs and Olive Garden are not remotely representative of good Chinese or Italian fare, but people go there.

Finally, I am sure that patrons love the tomacco, err, I mean, extra salt, in the dishes. Seems to make the food more palatable to some.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by john93711
FWIW Fresno has many great locally-owned restaurants from excellent hole-in-the-wall taco stands to fine dining. Please PM if you need assistance locating a better restaurant next time you visit.
I'm a native - I escaped moved away in the mid-1980s, but return a couple of times a year to visit 'Mom' (she lives in the 93726) and other family members.

I would very much like to hear your current recommendations (why not post publically in a separate thread, I'm sure that other business and leisure visitors would be very appreciative).

(I sure do miss the Lahmajoon Kitchen on Butler Avenue).
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:13 pm

I guess the kebab shops scattered all across Europe are not considered when speaking of how enlightened dining is there. I resent these explanations that Americans are somehow simple because we have chain restaurants. There is junk food in every developed country I have been to and most undeveloped ones as well.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:34 pm

Another factor would be that many of the local restaurants aren't all that much better. Most of the local mom and pop restaurants with similar menus to the big chains are getting their overly processed ingredients food off of the same SYSCO truck as the chains. Obviously this does not apply to fine dining / high end / ethnic places.

The biggest of the chains (Chilis/TGIF/Applebees/Outback) are basically neighborhood sports bars of various stripes. Go to your local mom and pop sports bar, and see how much better or even different the food is. Mostly just the same with some slight regional variations. The burgers at my local pubs are mostly the same as the chains, but with a few local menu items (in my case in South Florida, grouper, conch fritters, key lime pie etc)

If the food is largely similar and the chains offer a better value proposition, then why not eat at the chains? Especially for people with kids etc?

The only time I eat at chains is if I am on the road. I will admit that I have a little soft spot for Outback...
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:25 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by harper99
Lots of food snobs here I see.

You are not 'better' or 'more interesting' because of your diet...I assure you.

"boring"..."uneducated"...give me a break.
ill take the snob title over boring anyday
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by FLLDL
Most of the local mom and pop restaurants with similar menus to the big chains are getting their overly processed ingredients food off of the same SYSCO truck as the chains. Obviously this does not apply to fine dining / high end / ethnic places.
I wouldn't be too sure about those two claims. SYSCO can sell fine pretty basic ingredients (oil, dairy products, sugar, flour) as well as the over-processed foods. The former is perfectly fine for any restaturant to get its basic ingredients from. As for higher-end restaurants not using pre-made foods, I understand that as far back as 10 years ago, some pretty good restaurants were discovered to be using boil in bag foods that they purchased (soups, stews, etc.) and I'd imagine a lot of desserts weren't prepared by the on-premise pastry chef. Unfortunately I don't think this is uncommon.

BTW I understand the SYSCO catalogue has over 40,000 items.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I guess the kebab shops scattered all across Europe are not considered when speaking of how enlightened dining is there. I resent these explanations that Americans are somehow simple because we have chain restaurants. There is junk food in every developed country I have been to and most undeveloped ones as well.
Sure, every country has its own unhealthy food but how many countries have a plethora of near-identical restaurants that produce near-identical products knowingly sourced from the same vendor? I'd wager those kebab shops in Europe are all independent and while not all are good, at least they may be preparing their own food rather than buy it from some corporate supplier.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Avis
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I'd wager those kebab shops in Europe are all independent and while not all are good, at least they may be preparing their own food rather than buy it from some corporate supplier.
Might want to review the odds before you put up the cash.

http://www.velis.co.uk/index1.html These guys export from the UK to Europe. Besure to click Distribution Network.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
From my OP (emphasis added).

Originally Posted by bensyd
I'm talking about for proper sit down meals not fast food, which I think the US does very well!

Most people are restricting their answers to sit-down meals at chains, those kebab stores are by-in-large not chains. What do you think is the reason then for this phenomena? Unless you plan to argue that sit down chains are just as popular in other parts of the world as they are in the US.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bensyd
Generally I find chain food pretty mediocre at the best of times. I'm talking about for proper sit down meals not fast food
Del Frisco's, Ruth's Chris, Morton's and The Capital Grille are technically chains....
Old Oct 9, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Really surprised at how many people here just think chain restaurant success is a failure of its customers. Totally ignores characteristics of a successful (and to a certain degree american) business model:

From a really good blog post on why chain restaurants are so popular, here were the four reasons for their popularity (and this makes sense to me):

1) Predictability - All Baja Fresh have fresh same variety of salsa, just like all Starbucks (well most of them) make the same-taste coffee. When you walk into a Red Robin, you can expect perky waitresses (most of the time - well maybe not in Seattle). You can even expect bad food in some of them - no matter where you go.

2) Branding - Whether it's an upscale image (PF Chang) or children-friendliness (Red Robin), chain restaurants project an image and they do make an effort to ensure that what they deliver is consistent with the image. If you feel like a particular kind of experience, you simply have to select the chain and find the nearest one.

3) Convenience - For travelers in particular, you can usually find a familiar name in a decent size city when you don't have your Zagat review booklet handy and you notebook can't find a wifi hotspot that's free. Between a unknown local steakhouse with mostly empty parking lot and Outback, which one would you choose? Would you rather go to Big Joe's Tavern (you won't even find it on the web!) or Chili's for a big and juicy burger when you're out in Tennessee?

4) Sense of Security - No one, or very few people, enjoy looking like a freshman sitting in the registration hall. Most people simply like to sit down and feel like an old customer when they go out to eat - "Yes, I know your beer sampler is a great deal." When you sit down at a Friday's in Ukraine (yeah they do have one there!), you can expect them to have baby back ribs and at least one draft beer.

The last one is similar to what some folks have said here - but the idea that you want to be familiar with the menu or feel like you are "known" - sort of like Norm sitting down for a drink at Cheers - is a far more complex emotion set than just not wanting to try new things.

I live in west LA and enjoy having so many unique restaurants around - end up at one almost every night of the week for a work dinner. When I travel, my wife and I turn into foodies and search out the best meals we can find. But when have a reason to travel to the outer limits of LA, we are as likely to end up at a chain restaurant as a local place. To a certain degree we miss the chain experience in our usual dining experiences, and there are some amazing food creations out there (i.e. my wife loves the fried shrimp and cheezy rolls at Red Lobster, and who really can turn down a Pizookie at BJ's?).

Another example - I was just in Barcelona, with great dining experiences waiting for visitors around every block. The busiest place was the Hard Rock Cafe, and it was mostly filled with Europeans. Is it because all these Europeans are unenlightened? Or was it because they wanted an experience in addition to their food or they interpreted what Hard Rock offers as good value? Probably the latter. Or like us, were they ready for a good old fashioned burger or fajita after several days of desconstructed new wave expensive food - some of which was amazing, but a fair amount of it I would trade for a chain meal any day.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 9:34 pm

Programs: CO-Gold
Why does every meal have to be a dining experience? Sometimes, you just need nourishment. Especially when travelling, being able to predict what I'm going to eat is very comforting. I sometimes eat alone, so being able to read a book and eat familiar food makes the end of the day bearable. Or sometimes, a chain is the only thing still open at 9 or 10 or 11 pm when I'm finally getting around to dinner.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quartermoon
Why does every meal have to be a dining experience? Sometimes, you just need nourishment. Especially when travelling, being able to predict what I'm going to eat is very comforting. I sometimes eat alone, so being able to read a book and eat familiar food makes the end of the day bearable. Or sometimes, a chain is the only thing still open at 9 or 10 or 11 pm when I'm finally getting around to dinner.
You nailed it quite nicely. I rarely dine at any chain near where I live but will eat at selected chains when on the road about 30%-40% of the time excluding breakfast which is usually at my hotel (free thanks to thanks HH ). I go to the mid-priced chains and always avoid the low and high priced chains.

MisterNice
Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Originally Posted by MisterNice
You nailed it quite nicely. I rarely dine at any chain near where I live but will eat at selected chains when on the road about 30%-40% of the time excluding breakfast which is usually at my hotel (free thanks to thanks HH ). I go to the mid-priced chains and always avoid the low and high priced chains.
-Why does every meal have to be a dining experience? Sometimes, you just need nourishment. Especially when travelling, being able to predict what I'm going to eat is very comforting. I sometimes eat alone, so being able to read a book and eat familiar food makes the end of the day bearable. Or sometimes, a chain is the only thing still open at 9 or 10 or 11 pm when I'm finally getting around to dinner.
+1
Also, if you are in the 16-23 age range or are traveling with them, it's a place to hang and eat with or without the parents. In college you're gonna go to Applebees and not seek out a finer dining establishment.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The difference is that kebab shops = McDonalds and other fast food. They serve a need late at night, when drunk, or where there is no other option (Chisinau, Moldova 5 years springs to mind).

The OP's point - and it is a really interesting one - is that there is major chain middle market dining segment which doesn't really exists in the same way in Europe or Asia.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.