Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retention bonus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: aa gold, amex plat, spg gold, hertz gold (former wn cp, aa plat)
Originally Posted by LAXRuss
I had a DC since 1994. When the merger with MC took place, I thought DC would become the family's main card as I transferred all my charges from AMEX. Once my main airlines dropped out of the DC program, I realized there was no reason left for me to use the program. The 60 day float ended, the lounge access is not extensive, the primary rental is not a make or break. Last year after the merger with MC, my account averaged $7k monthly until my favorite airlines departed the program. Now my charges were again near zero.

I called to cancel, talked with retention. They said they were sorry to lose me, that I could call back in the next year to reactivate my account anytime and that they could offer me enough points to reduce my annual fee from $95 to $75 this year. Maybe it was they knew they had already lost me, as I made sure I cashed out all my Club Rewards points before calling, but in any case I simply cancelled and that was the end of a 12 year most satisfactory relationship. Today I'm back with AMEX, a more loyal customer than ever, as I no longer have DC as an option for my travel related charges.

I had much hope in the MC consolidation. Now I realize for my own needs that the old Diners Card was better than the new program after conversion.
When I cancelled, I was also offered a paltry amount of points. I too had cashed out my DC points and had a zero balance on the account (excepting the annual fee). I had shifted most of my spending already to AMEX anyway, so if they looked at my Citi AA card, it wouldn't have shown how much I was spending and, perhaps, a better reason for them to keep me.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:46 pm

Programs: Diners Club, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Fairmont, Mandarin Oriental, Le Meridien, National
I received a credit and great customer service (long)

After reading this thread, I had some trepidation about calling DC and asking for a retention bonus. In fact I put it off for a few months as the annual charge was back in October.

What's more, I have a Carte Blanche card, so my annual fee is $300, not $95, and I have never heard any reports on this forum of any retention bonus for CB holders.

I figured I would just call and ask them to cancel and hope they would refund at least a portion of my annual fee. I had even reduced my spend on the card to near zero in the last month.

Anyway, I called the other day to dispute a charge -- couldn't be easier -- and then asked to be transferred to Retention.

I was connected to a very pleasant rep, who listened carefully when I pointed out:

- Although I pay for a CB card, I really don't use its uplevel features of golf course access and concierge service.

- I would like to downgrade my card to a regular DC, but to do so requires I CANCEL the CB card and completely re-apply for the DC card. A big pain.

- I have witnessed the reduction in benefits, two of which have been particularly inconvenient: the loss of the 60-day billing cycle, and the loss of UA as a Rewards partner. Had they kept the 60-day cycle, I would be charging corporate expenses, which on my corp Amex card, often reaches $15-20,000 a month. (Both corp Amex and Diners Club cards have 60-day or so payment cycles.)

While he was listening it was obvious he was reviewing my account history and spend.

He then thanked me for being a DC customer for 10 years, and said he would waive the entire $300 as a token of appreciation of my business.

He and I chatted a bit more about my opinion that Citicorp has missed a great opportunity with DC and the MasterCard lockup, and some of the things they could do to truly differentiate DC in the market. He was very knowledgeable about the product, and while he never criticized Citicorp or the DC product, he was certainly empathetic. It was obvious he had heard similar concerns from other customers.

So, I am a (semi-satisfied) DC customer for another year. Their customer service remains superior and accessible. I just wish their management would be more enlightened, and make changes to the card that could make it the #1 card for business travelers.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kixo
What's more, I have a Carte Blanche card, so my annual fee is $300, not $95, and I have never heard any reports on this forum of any retention bonus for CB holders.
I had a similar experience to what you encountered. I was quote happy that I was only on the phone for about 2 minutes.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:32 pm

retention

I just called and whined about the $95. I spend about $3 -4,000 per month. They waived the fee but did not offer me a choice of anything else. I made about $800 per hour based on how long it took, so that seems decent.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (lifetime Gold), Southwest
they said they had nothing to offer

I just called the Retention Dept., and when I asked for a retention bonus, they said they had nothing to offer. I charge about $2,500 -- $3,000 per month. But they did say I could call back later. Seems like they don't value my membership.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by wahoohfd
I just called the Retention Dept., and when I asked for a retention bonus, they said they had nothing to offer. I charge about $2,500 -- $3,000 per month. But they did say I could call back later. Seems like they don't value my membership.

You can try again with a different rep.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 6:08 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by wahoohfd
Please let us know how your follow-up call goes.

I'm planning on calling myself after this month's statement is issued, and am curious what to expect.

The posts here make it sound like the retention offers are arbitrary, which seems odd. Surely annual spending levels have something to do with it??
Old Apr 24, 2007, 7:30 pm
FSU

Called today as my $95 annual charge just appeared. I asked Customer Service if they were offering any bonus to renew and was told no. I then asked for the Retention Department and the Rep from Customer Service said she needed to hear that specifically to check for another offer. I was put on hold and she came back again and said she could not offer me anything. I then said "I guess I will have to cancel" she said "So you want to cancel your card unless you receive some type of bonus." When I replied yes, she said she needed to hear those exact words and was than able to transfer me to another Rep who offered me 2,500 points. (I use the card very infrequently, probably about $2000 last year.) I accepted.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Just offered 10,000 points over five months or waiving the annual fee. Took the points.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 4:17 pm
FSU

Originally Posted by ohmark
Just offered 10,000 points over five months or waiving the annual fee. Took the points.
Much better deal than they offered me. Do you use the card a lot?
Old Apr 28, 2007, 9:15 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by FSU
Much better deal than they offered me. Do you use the card a lot?
I use the card a fair amount. The bonus is down from the 20,000 points they offered me last year.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
I made my annual call to the retention department this week.

Offered 10k points over 5 months or 7.5k points now.

I took the 10k points without a second thought.

Took all of about five minutes. Makes a nice dent in the $95 annual fee.

Greg
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
I made the call this morning since I was about to get billed the annual fee.

First time I got a message that estimated wait time was 75 seconds and that they appreciate the rep trying to keep diners club customers. After about 90 seconds it said that I could go ahead and proceed with the regular account closing procedure. Obviously meant for a Citi rep.

I called back an hour later. I was offered 2.5K points. No way they would waive the annual fee like last year. The rep said it's all based on usage history.

This year I was using DC strictly to pay for rental cars (about $400-800/month, a little less than the previous year). Now that I switched my Citi Chairman from MasterCard to Amex I was looking to use the DC for non-Amex purchases.

I didn't take the offer, asked the rep to close the account, then applied online for a Citi AA MC card 2 minutes later.

The rep says the DC info will stay there for 12 months if I decide to re-open it.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 2:20 pm

Before Aug 2005 when the OP posted the dedicated Retention phone # every year at my annual fee time I called the normal DC phone # and acted like I was going to cancel my card if they didn't throw me a bone. No more need for that. Today I called and asked if they had any retention offers for me, I was promptly given three choices: a refund of the $95 annual fee, or a flat one-time 7500 points, or 2K points/month for 5 months. A pleasant two minute phone call that will net me 10K points.

Last edited by yanxfann; Aug 30, 2007 at 3:13 pm
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:34 am

I recently had a bad experience with a dispute with DC and was considering cancelling as they were totally useless. When I got my renewal fee on my bill, I called the retention number and was immediately offered a $95. credit or 10,000 points over five months. I took the credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.