Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retention bonus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Fee waived "as a one-time courtesy" today.

I've had no real activity on the card in the past year but may consider using it going forward.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
Fee waived "as a one-time courtesy" today.
Which card do you have: Professional, Premier, Elite?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Which card do you have: Professional, Premier, Elite?
Professional. I'd wager that's what this thread has been focused on but I could be mistaken.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
Professional. I'd wager that's what this thread has been focused on
Correct, because the consumer cards are not yet a year old, but this might not be apparent to someone looking at this thread in 2016.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by mia
Correct, because the consumer cards are not yet a year old, but this might not be apparent to someone looking at this thread in 2016.
Especially since it's not 2016.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
I have been a Professional card holder since 1995. After the changeover to MasterCard and Citi divested, it's been downhill for me to the point where all I have been using the card for is car rentals. I would use the card more if there were some ways to generate more points/discounts, but there has been nothing (at least that has been useful to me). I have other cards that provide primary and secondary rental car coverage.

I called CS last week and asked them to waive the annual fee since I had been a card holder for 20 years and it had a "special place in my wallet." I got put on hold for 10 minutes while the rep conferred with her supervisor to see if it "was possible." Response was that they could not waive the annual fee for me and my spouse but that I could use my Club Rewards points to pay it. I told them that after being a card holder for 20 years that was unacceptable and if they didn't care enough to waive $130 or at least offer me some bonus/incentive CR points then I could make the space available in my wallet for another card. Sorry, but "that is all we can do" was the response. I told her I found their response extremely disappointing and that once I figured out what I am going to do with my CR points and transferred them I would call back and cancel the card.

After thinking it over a few days, today I transferred my CR balance and as soon as the points post to the partner accounts I'll DC back and cancel. So long DC, it was nice, and you had some really good benefits in the day (I especially liked the 60 days to pay with no interest) but time and technology has passed you by.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by JeffD
I have been a Professional card holder since 1995. After the changeover to MasterCard and Citi divested, it's been downhill for me to the point where all I have been using the card for is car rentals. I would use the card more if there were some ways to generate more points/discounts, but there has been nothing (at least that has been useful to me). I have other cards that provide primary and secondary rental car coverage.

I called CS last week and asked them to waive the annual fee since I had been a card holder for 20 years and it had a "special place in my wallet." I got put on hold for 10 minutes while the rep conferred with her supervisor to see if it "was possible." Response was that they could not waive the annual fee for me and my spouse but that I could use my Club Rewards points to pay it. I told them that after being a card holder for 20 years that was unacceptable and if they didn't care enough to waive $130 or at least offer me some bonus/incentive CR points then I could make the space available in my wallet for another card. Sorry, but "that is all we can do" was the response. I told her I found their response extremely disappointing and that once I figured out what I am going to do with my CR points and transferred them I would call back and cancel the card.

After thinking it over a few days, today I transferred my CR balance and as soon as the points post to the partner accounts I'll DC back and cancel. So long DC, it was nice, and you had some really good benefits in the day (I especially liked the 60 days to pay with no interest) but time and technology has passed you by.
I agree completely. DC used to be an incredible card and It had a special place in my wallet, too. However, Bank of Montreal has effectively killed the card. I am particularly insulted by the new cards that the introduced. Not only are they inferior to nearly every other card that's on the market in a similar category (for example Barclay Arrivals card), they aren't even letting existing cardmembers transfer to those foreign exchange-free cards without closing our current account. The only thing that keeps me with DC now is that it's great for my credit score because I had my account open for nearly 2 decades. But I'm getting sick of its profound inferiority.

I don't understand why Bank of Montreal doesn't just kill this card once and for all.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by JeffD

So here's the update: I called to cancel the card a couple of days before the bill cycled and when I told the agent why she immediately said she could waive the annual fee as a one-time courtesy so I said fine and kept the card. My wife rented a car earlier this week and promptly got into an accident (she wasn't injured, but car was damaged). Time to call DC and file a CDW claim.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyeronac
Not only are they inferior to nearly every other card that's on the market in a similar category (for example Barclay Arrivals card)
While I agree with some of your other points, I don't understand why you consider Barclay Arrival to be in the same category. Diners Club points are transferable to various airlines (even if not the best choice of domestic ones) and various hotel programs. My understanding is that Arrival points are transferable to nowhere.

So I consider Diners Club, because of Club Rewards, to only be comparable to Amex cards with (transferable) Membership Rewards, Chase cards with (transferable) Ultimate Rewards, and Citi cards with (transferable) Thank You points. I don't see why you put in the same category as Arrival; isn't Arrival more similar to CapOne cards, in that it's points which can only be used to redeem directly for flights/hotels/etc, and is thus just a better-than-average cash-back card?
Old May 29, 2015, 2:51 pm

Not even a thank you

Had this card for close to 30 years.

Called to see if fee could be waived or reduced- not a chance.

Cancelled and did not get any feedback other than i just closed your account.

Became increasingly worthless as the years went by. Had 1 claim on a rental car flat tire issue in France- they did not pay a penny- cited all sorts of reasons that this was not covered by their insurance. Auto Europe charged me a small fortune to repair a flat- could have bought new tires for what they charged- another terrible company to deal with.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jfadds
Had this card for close to 30 years.

Called to see if fee could be waived or reduced- not a chance.

Cancelled and did not get any feedback other than i just closed your account.

Became increasingly worthless as the years went by. Had 1 claim on a rental car flat tire issue in France- they did not pay a penny- cited all sorts of reasons that this was not covered by their insurance. Auto Europe charged me a small fortune to repair a flat- could have bought new tires for what they charged- another terrible company to deal with.
Tires are not covered under any insurance -- primary or secondary.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by flyeronac
I agree completely. DC used to be an incredible card and It had a special place in my wallet, too. However, Bank of Montreal has effectively killed the card. I am particularly insulted by the new cards that the introduced. Not only are they inferior to nearly every other card that's on the market in a similar category (for example Barclay Arrivals card), they aren't even letting existing cardmembers transfer to those foreign exchange-free cards without closing our current account. The only thing that keeps me with DC now is that it's great for my credit score because I had my account open for nearly 2 decades. But I'm getting sick of its profound inferiority.

I don't understand why Bank of Montreal doesn't just kill this card once and for all.

I'm about to cancel my Cdn Diners card. I was under the impression that flight delay coverage was still part of the basic card benefits, but discovered last week one must now buy it as a supplementary policy. Have had the card since the old Air Canada enRoute card was bought out by Diners and through the Citibank years. But agree, since the BMO takeover, benefits have pretty much vanished. Will transfer my points to my BA or AS account, and would expect to receive a credit for the half-year balance I have on my annual fee.

Can't see any reason to keep the card since I also have the AmexPlatinum card which gives me the superior PriorityPass card (which pretty much includes all the Diners lounges) and flight delay insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.