FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Retention bonus
Thread: Retention bonus
View Single Post
Old May 21, 2015, 3:32 pm
JeffD
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by JeffD
I have been a Professional card holder since 1995. After the changeover to MasterCard and Citi divested, it's been downhill for me to the point where all I have been using the card for is car rentals. I would use the card more if there were some ways to generate more points/discounts, but there has been nothing (at least that has been useful to me). I have other cards that provide primary and secondary rental car coverage.

I called CS last week and asked them to waive the annual fee since I had been a card holder for 20 years and it had a "special place in my wallet." I got put on hold for 10 minutes while the rep conferred with her supervisor to see if it "was possible." Response was that they could not waive the annual fee for me and my spouse but that I could use my Club Rewards points to pay it. I told them that after being a card holder for 20 years that was unacceptable and if they didn't care enough to waive $130 or at least offer me some bonus/incentive CR points then I could make the space available in my wallet for another card. Sorry, but "that is all we can do" was the response. I told her I found their response extremely disappointing and that once I figured out what I am going to do with my CR points and transferred them I would call back and cancel the card.

After thinking it over a few days, today I transferred my CR balance and as soon as the points post to the partner accounts I'll DC back and cancel. So long DC, it was nice, and you had some really good benefits in the day (I especially liked the 60 days to pay with no interest) but time and technology has passed you by.
So here's the update: I called to cancel the card a couple of days before the bill cycled and when I told the agent why she immediately said she could waive the annual fee as a one-time courtesy so I said fine and kept the card. My wife rented a car earlier this week and promptly got into an accident (she wasn't injured, but car was damaged). Time to call DC and file a CDW claim.