Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My old Diners card (nostalgia).

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
The next year I switch from Torch Club to Diners, perhaps because the Torch Club product was discontinued. Card number starts with "3". It was 1980, and the card had a magnetic stripe! Still not owned by Citi, still no rewards.
No the card lasted until the merger with BP. I had both Torch Club and Carte Blanche with Amoco and the Sun Diners with Sunoco. In 1982 the card did have a mag stripe. It was nothing more than your Amoco account number with a 30 added to the front and a 14 added to the end of the card.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:31 pm

Here is a press release from 1986 when Citi got involved:

Amoco and Citicorp Agree on Credit Card Deal

NEW YORK -- Amoco Oil Co. said it has an agreement with Citicorp to market a new credit card carrying the Carte Blanche and Amoco brand names.

For the Chicago-based Amoco, it is a continuation of its strategy to offer different credit cards to various segments of its market. Amoco already issues three kinds of credit cards.

The Amoco/Carte Blanche card carries a $35 annual fee and offers a range of services: charge privileges at Amoco gas stations and at restaurants, hotels, airlines, and car rental agencies that honor the Carte Blanche card; discounts at some of these establishments; check-cashing privileges; and free travelers checks. …
Old May 4, 2018, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I remember the one pictured in the OP, but I also had the version at some point that had two physical cards, IIRC with different numbers and yet a third number for your account number as it appeared on the bill. Later versions had the MasterCard logo, which made it a handy travel card st times, such as for use in the machines at AMS to buy train tickets to Amsterdam CS and other nearby destinations.

I got rid of mine shortly after BMO took aver the accounts.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:58 pm

I also had an Amoco Multicard.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:59 pm

By the way, Amoco stations are being built again in the US again. They are in Chicago, New York, and New Jersey with over 100 planned for this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.