Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Diners Club airport lounge (reports, questions, discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
The lounge access program is a benefit provided by Diners Club International, not by your card issuer. The directory is located here:

http://www.dinersclub.com/airport-lounges.html

There are Diners Club lounges at nearly two dozen USA airports, with multiple locations at several airports.. In general they are the same lounges as used by Priority Pass, with the notable exclusion of the Alaska Airlines clubs.

• Atlanta
  • Baltimore
  • Boston (3)
  • Chicago (2)
  • Cincinnati
  • Dallas
  • Honolulu
  • Houston (2)
  • Las Vegas (2)
  • Los Angeles
  • Miami (3)
  • Minneapolis
  • Newark
  • New York JFK (2)
  • Orlando (2)
  • Phoenix
  • Pittsburgh
  • Sanford , Florida
  • San Francisco
  • San Jose
  • Seattle (2)
  • Washington IAD (3)
Print Wikipost

Diners Club airport lounge (reports, questions, discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Canadian Diners card rejected at these lounges:

HND (international), FUK(domestic)

Nothing to agrue about. Their system rejected it. End of story. Cash admission is 1080 yen.

You can complain to Diners Club instead. But nothing will happen.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update on AMS Aspire Lounge 41 (non-Schengen):

Originally Posted by sdsearch
AMS Aspire Lounge 41 (non-Schengen), Sat 10 Apr:

They were going through reconstruction and had limited seating and were not admitting Diners Club card holders as a result. After I kept complaining (that as an arrival passenger in Delta business I had no access to the Delta/KLM lounge and this was in turn the only Diners Club lounge in the airport that they were turning me away from), they finally offered me a Euro 11.95 voucher good at a couple restaurants (Bread! and Dutch Kitchen) between the lounge and the exit.
On my return flight day, Thu 21 Apr morning, they did let me in with my Diners Club card. I took a quick look around the lounge, and they had pretty nice breakfast food offerings. I then went to the KLM lounge (access through my business class ticket on Delta), and the food looked fairly comparable (though the spread was a bit bigger in the KLM lounge, which is gigantic by comparison to the Aspire lounge).

They scanned my Diners Club US (MC) card and had me sign on a card machine for access. (There was no charge; I was by myself.)
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Canadian Diners Club card rejected in HEL Finnair Lounge. Spent some time at the @Home lounge instead.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Lounge attendants do not know if your lounge entry program charges for guests. The lounge always charges the program for every person. What happens after that is between you and Diners Club, or Priority Pass, or Lounge Club
I've had this same experience at various lounges (certain non-Diners Club lounges where one guest is allowed in for free).
When I've told the attendant that I'm allowed one guest for free, they've always immediately told me
that they can't say for sure if that is the case, and suggest that I consult with the issuer of the lounge pass.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Plaza Premium Lounge in LHR

Has anyone use the Plaza Premium Lounge in LHR?
Does the 18 pound entry fee for diners club also include a shower?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
I've used it in the past with my (Canadian) work DC and not been charged. showers are good. Ordering breakfast an be slow (and I think they just tend to reheat cooked items, there is room to improve - unless they have done so in the last few months).

I believe that PP just added T5 sofitel as some kind of arrivals lounge. May be worth checking out.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The fee is for an additional guest, not the cardholder.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:25 pm

Has anyone used the lounge at SDQ (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) Flying out of there later this year and wondered how it was. I will have to pay for my traveling companion so that was a consideration.

Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Canadian card accepted at Haneda Domestic Terminal 2 (ANA) !

6 months ago it was rejected at 3 different Japanese airports.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:14 pm

AMS Aspire lounges

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Priority Pass was listed, but since I don't have it, I didn't ask if they were turning away Priority Pass the same as Diners Club. They said they were only allowing their "contracted" guests in, whatever that means.

The list pf their partners was quite long, and I didn't look over all of it to see what else it had besides Diners Club and Priority Pass (to see if it, for example, included a bunch of airlines).
In fairness, you weren't missing much. As a frequent traveller through AMS to both Schengen and non-Schengen destinations, I can tell you that the two relevant DC lounges are pretty ordinary (pros: decent range of beverages - beer, wines, spirits, mixers, soft drinks, tea and coffee, cons: not much else going for them). Definitely better than no lounge, obviously, but still nothing to write home about.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:06 pm

Ams - dxb - kul - pen

On my way to Australia from the Netherlands via the UAE and Malaysia. Thought I'd share my experiences thus far with my fellow DC International lounge enthusiasts.

AMS - Aspire Lounge (no. 41, terminal 2, airside)
Spent roughly 2 hours here which is always more than enough. The lounge is basic, with a simple selection of self-service snacks and drinks (beer, wines, spirits, mixers, soft drinks and tea/coffee). The place is clean and quite comfortable and, unlike its Schengen departures counterpart (lounge 26), has some nice views across the tarmac.

DXB
Marhaba lounge (terminal 3, airside)
Got turned away - apparently they're no longer accepting German, French or Benelux issued DC cards. Anybody else experienced this? I think I will try my luck again on the way home - I realised that while my card is technically German-issued, it is actually issued by the Austrian DC Bank AG which issues cards in both Germany and Austria. Let's see if they let me in on an "Austrian" DC.

Feeling disappointed and not looking forward to 3 hours sitting at the gate or paying for extortionately priced airport drinks for the first time since getting the DC card earlier this year, we whipped out the DC app to see if there was an alternative. Lo and behold, terminal 3 is also home to the:

Ahlan Business Class Lounge (terminal 3, airside)
This lounge is as lovely as it is hard to find. To address the second point first, you have to head up a flight of stairs which leads you to a tapas bar. As far as I can tell, the lounge is part of the tapas bar. Food is self service and the fantastic, both in terms of quality and range. Drinks can be ordered from the bar, however it was difficult to know what was included for lounge patrons given that there was no drinks menu for lounge guests (that I could find). In the end I swallowed my pride and asked the waitress what drinks were available for the lounge. I was rewarded with some very ordinary Sauvignon Blanc, some lovely sparkling wine, some pretty decent coffees and a couple of bottles of Perrier sparkling water. Being so well tucked away, this lounge has an exceptionally intimate atmosphere. The decor is lovely and - best of all - the place was almost completely empty.

KUL
After Dubai, it was on to Kuala Lumpur, where we had 4 hour layover before a flight to Penang. Both flights arrived/departed from the KLIA terminal (rather than the separate KLIA2 terminal which principally services low cost carriers). We arrived at the Satellite building which is home to the DC Plaza Premium Lounge. Foolishly, we walked right on past, boarded the inter-building train and went through transit immigration into the domestic departures section of the terminal. MISTAKE! There is no DC lounge in the domestic departures area. Fellow travellers - do not make my mistake. If transiting at KUL for a domestic flight also departing from the KLIA terminal, don't hope for a lounge after transit immigration. Next time I will try my luck at the Plaza Premium Lounge at the satellite building and hope that they'll let me in with a boarding pass for a domestic transfer.

That's it for now. I will provide updates on the Plaza Premium lounge(s) at KLIA2 as well as the satellite building at KLIA which I will pass through on my way back to the Netherlands in a couple of weeks. I will also let you know how I go getting into the Marhaba lounge at DXB with my "Austrian" DC card and, if successful, let you know how it stacks up against the Ahlan Business Lounge.

deckleff out

Edit: we wanted to try the new high speed ETS rail service to get from Penang to KL, but unfortunately all of the services were booked out. In the end we booked some last minute flights, giving us a chance to check out:

Plaza Premium Lounge, Penang Intl Airport (domestic departures)

After reading quite a few horror reviews, we were a little hesitant. Turns out it's really not that bad.

The Penang Domestic Plaza Premium is a small, simple lounge with a small buffet of fruits, yoghurts and cakes and a limited menu of made-to-order dishes. We had a garden salad, fish and chips and a mushroom soup with a tiny chicken pie. The food was okay, but by no means anything special (especially not if you're vegetarian). The drinks were limited to non-alcoholic beverages, although I did notice a sign which indicated that you could buy beers.

The seating was comfortable enough and overall the lounge was clean and quiet. There could have been more power points though.

All in all, no regrets, certainly better than everything the rest of the airport has to offer. I probably wouldn't pay to go there though.

Last edited by deckleff; Dec 5, 2016 at 6:47 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Has anyone used the lounge at SDQ (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) Flying out of there later this year and wondered how it was. I will have to pay for my traveling companion so that was a consideration.

Thanks!
I did. It is quite roomy with nice interior. Food selection is very poor. Cereal, stale sandwiches and chips. Coffee machine, one PC. Basic drinks.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by smith80678
I did. It is quite roomy with nice interior. Food selection is very poor. Cereal, stale sandwiches and chips. Coffee machine, one PC. Basic drinks.
Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Have they changed their policy with the Emperor Lounge in AKL? It used to be only 1 complimentary access every 12 months, but there is no mention of this on the lounge website now?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Dubai International Hotel First Class Lounge

The Dubai International Hotel First Class Lounge in Concourse D of Terminal 1 is fabulous. One of the great lounges in the world. Buffet and made to order food that is superb. Excellent champagne. The Business Class Lounge is almost as good. What is special about the first class lounge is that Priority Pass is not accepted, but Diners Club is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.