Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the correct pronunciation of BMO?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 8:17 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
What is the correct pronunciation of BMO?

I have been saying bee-em-oh, but on a Public TV sponsorship voiceover I heard it spoken as a single word: beemo.
Old May 22, 2013, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I pronounce it bank-of-mon-tree-all-slash-har-ris-bank.

(I'm never in circumstances where someone would understand what BMO means when I'm speaking. Only here on FlyerTalk does the abbreviation seem to be understood far outside Canada and outside the banking world.)
Old May 22, 2013, 10:29 pm

Bank of Montreal would like you to say the latter (beemo) because they have spent millions advertising themselves like that. However no one outside of a Bank of Montreal employee says that. Some say B M O. Most Canadians say "Bank of Montreal" as they have for almost 200 years.

It is silly marketing. Toronto-Dominion Bank became TD; Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce became CIBC; and so Bank of Montreal thought they would become BMO. Oh and the Royal Bank calls itself RBC.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:35 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Vasco
It is silly marketing. Toronto-Dominion Bank became TD; Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce became CIBC; and so Bank of Montreal thought they would become BMO. Oh and the Royal Bank calls itself RBC.
Silly marketing? I have always figured it's a conscious effort to gain more American customers by making it less obvious they are not an American company. Banks are not alone in this practice, BP and BOC are other examples that come to mind.
Old May 23, 2013, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
Silly marketing? I have always figured it's a conscious effort to gain more American customers by making it less obvious they are not an American company. Banks are not alone in this practice, BP and BOC are other examples that come to mind.
I meant silly in the way the Bank of Montreal has tried and failed at this over the last 20 years. Both TD and CIBC have managed it successfully, but despite the Royal Bank of Canada and the Bank of Montreal trying since the 90's to follow suit, their efforts at his have borne no fruit. The Royal Bank s still the Royal Bank (not RBC) and the Bank of Montreal is still the Bank of Montreal (and not mBanx, or BoM or BMO, or whatever else they have tried over the last 20 years.)

But of all Canadian banks, TD is the only one with any significant presence or operations in the US. This (ongoing) rebranding has nothing to do with Americans.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the Bank of Montreal is still the Bank of Montreal (and not mBanx, or BoM or BMO, or whatever else they have tried over the last 20 years.)
So why don't they just change their overall name to Harris Bank? Problem solved!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:22 am

Bank of Montreal would like you to say the latter (beemo) because they have spent millions advertising themselves like that. However no one outside of a Bank of Montreal employee says that. Some say B M O. Most Canadians say "Bank of Montreal" as they have for almost 200 years.

I would submit that most everyone in the finance/banking world knows of them as beemo
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I believe it is (or was) also the TSE (or TSX) ticker symbol.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chfenton
I would submit that most everyone in the finance/banking world knows of them as beemo
Well, there was a guest from BMO (their US division) on CNN's Your Money this weekend, and they introduced him verbally as someone from Bee Em Oh (ie, spelling out the letters), and he didn't correct them.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, there was a guest from BMO (their US division) on CNN's Your Money this weekend, and they introduced him verbally as someone from Bee Em Oh (ie, spelling out the letters), and he didn't correct them.
Agreed, we call it B-M-O as well in Asia financial sectors.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, on the other hand, I'm visiting the Canadian Rockies right now, and this morning I heard a travel-oriented radio show on a Calgary AM station (news/talk 770, I think) where the host asked the guest (some Canadian travel expert who they apparently have on that show at least once a year) "what's in your wallet" (after some some discussion about rewards credit cards in general). The first card he mentioned was Diners Club Club Rewards! He mentioned that BMO had taken it over from US-based Citi bank, and he pronounced it "bee-mo".

By the way, he mentioned that BMO is not currently taking new applications for the Diners Club card, but he mentioned that "that should change soon". (I don't know if he has official information from BMO about that or not.)
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Their commercials here in Arizona refer to BMO as "Beemo". (They recently purchased the former M&I Bank.)
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by mia
I have been saying bee-em-oh, but on a Public TV sponsorship voiceover I heard it spoken as a single word: beemo.
It's pronounced "great-credit card-gone-bad".

It would be nice if Beemo got behind DC & made the card great to use.

My 2 cents....
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
It's pronounced "great-credit card-gone-bad".

It would be nice if Beemo got behind DC & made the card great to use.

My 2 cents....
Your 2 cents are myopic. BMO is a full-service bank, which more than just credit cards, and it has more than just one credit card.

It therefore make no sense to call the bank a credit card.

And btw DC is a charge card, not a credit card!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
In the North American banking circles it's "bee-moe".

To be clear, they're a credit card issuer (opposed to a network like Visa/MasterCard/Amex). And yes, they are more than an issuer - also a full service bank both North and South.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.