Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta won't make things right unless contacted by injured party...byebye customer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta won't make things right unless contacted by injured party...byebye customer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:26 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
DL's response doesn't necessarily sound to me like they won't address the situation with the FAs and the booze. I didn't read the response from DL as "we will do nothing about any of this"

It just sounds like they won't be making unsolicited contact with the other offended couple. Privacy is an important line for some people, so DL is likely treading it lightly.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Which would have to be triggered by a complaint from someone, i.e. jenniparks, who was also a target of the drunkards' bad behavior.

So the path is pretty clear was to what has to be done to get the ball rolling. However, don't be surprised if the crew covers their butts and denies the allegations.
Here's the deal: we don't know if the ball is rolling because it is none of the OP's (or ours) darn business.

We can speculate all we want, but any further discussion of this issue is between DL and "the couple" only. Honestly, there's a difference between proactive customer service and violating personal privacy. I would think intelligent people could see the difference.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by sxf24
Here's the deal: we don't know if the ball is rolling because it is none of the OP's (or ours) darn business.

We can speculate all we want, but any further discussion of this issue is between DL and "the couple" only. Honestly, there's a difference between proactive customer service and violating personal privacy. I would think intelligent people could see the difference.
Gee, I thought I was fairly intelligent, and yet I don't see the difference between proactive customer service and violating personal privacy. If DL knows all my contact information, from when I booked with them, I don't see how it is a violation of privacy if they were to proactively contact me and apologize for an issue, ANY issue, that affected my flight. Could you please enlighten us? Or, me specifically.

If I were on that flight, I would have complained to the FA about the two asshats' behavior. And if the FA did nothing about it, I would definitely complain to DL. My letter would go directly to Richard Anderson, with a copy to the DOT, not to generic "customer service."

And if those two were to get in my face, I would demand that the FA have airport police meet us at the gate. If the FA refused, as soon as we touched down I would call the local airport police myself and have them meet us at the gate.

There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to be subjected to that kind of behavior in an enclosed tube for several hours.

I just hope those two idiots didn't get into a car and end up killing someone.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:12 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by sxf24

Here's the deal? It is all of our business ! FA training must be improved to help the FAs handle these situations. It's our buisness to bring this up and Anderson's business to fix it.

If there was a brief quiet argument between the drunks and the couple it's nobody's business. Drunks carrying on and intimidating other passengers is everybody's buisness. In fact, anytime we see innocent people being subjected to bully behaviour it is the business of all civilized people to do whatever can be done.

Last edited by bdnyc; Sep 16, 2009 at 7:19 am
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
On NW they used to have an in-flight complaint form. The form was requested from the FA and allowed a passenger to file for an in-flight issue real-time (I witnessed this once).

Does Delta have something similiar?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by bdnyc
Here's the deal? It is all of our business ! FA training must be improved to help the FAs handle these situations. It's our buisness to bring this up and Anderson's business to fix it.

If there was a brief quiet argument between the drunks and the couple it's nobody's business. Drunks carrying on and intimidating other passengers is everybody's buisness. In fact, anytime we see innocent people being subjected to bully behaviour it is the business of all civilized people to do whatever can be done.
I agree that to a limited extent it's "our" business, but consider:
1. jenniparks was also an affected party who was targeted for abuse by the drunks.

2. jenniparks asked for our advice, considered it, thanked us, and decided not to pursue her own complaint even though she had valid grounds to do so.
We can discuss drunks on airplanes indefinitly, but the incident that prompted this thread is pretty much a closed case. My past experiences in dealing with issues voiced in FT (mostly on NW) is that the company watches FT and if they have a concern, they already contacted her directly or through a mod and and it's already being addressed behind the scenes; otherwise, nothing's happening & nothing will happen.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tonypct
Gee, I thought I was fairly intelligent, and yet I don't see the difference between proactive customer service and violating personal privacy. If DL knows all my contact information, from when I booked with them, I don't see how it is a violation of privacy if they were to proactively contact me and apologize for an issue, ANY issue, that affected my flight. Could you please enlighten us? Or, me specifically.
I was referring to DL sharing its actions publicly or with the OP. Clearly, it is appropriate for DL to contact "the couple" to resolve the issue, its just none of our business whether they do and what happens.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdnyc

It is none of our business how DL resolves a customer service issue with a third party.

Last edited by sxf24; Sep 16, 2009 at 11:03 am Reason: Removed extra "of"
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
(deleted)

Last edited by itsaboutthejourney; Sep 17, 2009 at 12:22 am Reason: Regret mentioning OP's conservative/religious views, retracted post
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I'd like to know what the FA or the other pax in F had to say...

Knowing the OP lives a deeply religious life, it's possible she may have a different take from others on what is considered "obscenities, gestures, and general derision" @:-)

Well based on the fact that the customers said something I would say it was clearly bothering them.

"They were older (60s+), they asked both the flight attendants to control the pax and the drunkards themselves to please stop the abusive language and insults and everything. They were visibly bothered and told me so afterward."
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:Diamond, United:1P, Continental: Plat, HH:Gold, SPG:Gold
security

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I'd like to know what the FA or the other pax in F had to say...

Knowing the OP lives a deeply religious life, it's possible she may have a different take from others on what is considered "obscenities, gestures, and general derision" @:-)
If it provides any additional illumination, one of the two drunkards was so far gone and behaving inappropriately toward others after getting off the plane and being at the baggage carousel for intl luggage pickup/customs that an airport staffer who observed his behavior called security immediately who came over and detained him. I was right within eyeshot of that happening. So i don't think it was simply my religious sentiments that led me to say they were acting inappropriately.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jenniparks
So i don't think it was simply my religious sentiments that led me to say they were acting inappropriately.
Not that you religious beliefs would have any relevance whatsoever to this discussion. Drunk and obnoxious is drunk and obnoxious regardless of religion. I find it funny that some posters have expressed shock at the intrusion into someones personal life but yet your religious beliefs are somehow relevant. This board really drives me nuts but it is good reading.

BTW, I have no problem with Drunk and happy, quiet, sleeping, but Drunk and obnoxious/Drunk and dangerous is what I care about. Full disclosure: I have been known to enjoy an adult beverage or two on occasion but I DONT drive and am not obnoxious.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
It seems to me that there are two different issues here:

1. Obviously drunken passengers who were served additional alcohol (instead of juice or coffee). That is a FAA regulation issue that jenni observed. She has every right to raise the issue with DL and the FAA.

2. The older couple who were being harrassed. Unfortunately, this couple will have to contact DL directly. It is a personal issue between DL and them. I understand jenni's concern. I would have been equally concerned but DL is simply cannot respond to a 3rd party complaint.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM/3MM/FC Marriott Platinum
Question FAM's

Here's a hypothetical for you: If this flight had a FAM or two seated in F, witnessing the bozos harassing the older couple, would they have intervened? Or are they on the plane purely for terrorist prevention?

Thanks,

AG
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Trying to think what my reaction would be if I was home one day and the phone rang:

"This is Delta Airlines, my name is Susie. Mr. IYV, I know that you didn't contact us about this, but we heard from another passenger that some guys were bothering you and your wife on flight XXX. Based on this other person's opinion, we thought it was important to call you and apologize for the actions of other passengers, of which we were unaware."

I think I'd think it was about the weirdest thing ever, if not totally intrusive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.