Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta won't make things right unless contacted by injured party...byebye customer

Delta won't make things right unless contacted by injured party...byebye customer

Old Sep 15, 09, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:Diamond, United:1P, Continental: Plat, HH:Gold, SPG:Gold

So on a recent flight from SJO to ATL in the FC cabin 2 gentlemen who didn't happen to know each other got completely wasted and began verbally harassing this older [60s+] couple in front of me. I'm talking about using obscenities, gestures, and general derision. The whole flight! The couple were very very upset. I asked the drunkards to keep it down [through the FA] and they passed obscenities to me also.

After the flight, i heard the couple say something like they may not ever fly DL again and I struck up a conversation with them and got their names. I told them DL does not often have this situation that i've seen and that I'm sure the FAs will be disciplined for overserving the guests [they kept bringing them liquor despite intoxication] and please not to hold it against DL as a whole which is a really great airline. They didn't seem so convinced- it was one of those changing moments in life for them i think- it was a BIG deal.

I contacted DL csr care right away and provided them with the info on the obnoxious drunkards in 2a and 2b and the sweet couple in 2c and 2d (including their first and last names) that were continually verbally harassed by them and detailed the entire situation.

And they wrote back and said they don't contact customers to make things right unless the customer contacts them directly with a complaint first. This is bad. These are not the kind of couple that is likely to do that imo. They are just going to quietly take their business elsewhere most likely.

For the Delta team who may read this, thumbs down. Big thumbs down. Someone in their 60s has a huge circle of friends made over a lifetime and a lot of people to influence toward or against DL. Plus they were flying in FC [not sure if they were an upgrade or paid] which indicates either frequent flying or money and these are just the kind of customers I'd think DL would want to proactively keep satisfied. You just have no idea how horrible the drunkards were to them. Worse, the FAs only real reaction was to ask them to keep it down so they (the FAs) didn't get in trouble for serving them all the liquor.

I am disappointed in my Delta today.
Old Sep 15, 09, 4:46 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jenniparks View Post
And they wrote back and said they don't contact customers to make things right unless the customer contacts them directly with a complaint first. This is bad. These are not the kind of couple that is likely to do that imo. They are just going to quietly take their business elsewhere most likely.
In this case, I feel DLs response was appropriate. There is a fine line between trying to be helpful and meddling.
Old Sep 15, 09, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by keeton View Post
In this case, I feel DLs response was appropriate. There is a fine line between trying to be helpful and meddling.
Sorry but DL helped to cause this particular situation by continuing to pump booze into these knuckleheads who were clearly making other people in FC (at least 3) uncomfortable. This type of situation sends a message to the front line that this behavior is ok. The FA's obviously knew that they were wrong to serve them as they mentioned that they did not want to get into trouble. If I were those folks and a letter of apology in my mailbox that could change my mind and turn this incident into a "bad apple" from a bad apple cart. Poor CS on DL's part.
Old Sep 15, 09, 5:15 am
Original Poster

perhaps

Originally Posted by keeton View Post
Perhaps it is because I've worked in csr service and technical support so long that I identify with that role. And since I appreciate Delta so much I try to be an extension of service to other Delta customers as well when I see them in trouble. I've helped lost DL customers at the airport, explained weather delay procedures, directed people to the right lines, etc. Is that meddling in Delta's business- I suppose, but one would think they'd appreciate the free work on their behalf without having to pay me. Apparently not. Maybe next time I should do nothing when I see customers in trouble and let Delta lose the opportunity to correct a bad situation.
Old Sep 15, 09, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by jenniparks View Post
So on a recent flight from SJO to ATL in the FC cabin 2 gentlemen who didn't happen to know each other got completely wasted and began verbally harassing this older [60s+] couple in front of me. I'm talking about using obscenities, gestures, and general derision. The whole flight! The couple were very very upset. I asked the drunkards to keep it down [through the FA] and they passed obscenities to me also.

After the flight, i heard the couple say something like they may not ever fly DL again and I struck up a conversation with them and got their names. I told them DL does not often have this situation that i've seen and that I'm sure the FAs will be disciplined for overserving the guests [they kept bringing them liquor despite intoxication] and please not to hold it against DL as a whole which is a really great airline. They didn't seem so convinced- it was one of those changing moments in life for them i think- it was a BIG deal.

I contacted DL csr care right away and provided them with the info on the obnoxious drunkards in 2a and 2b and the sweet couple in 2c and 2d (including their first and last names) that were continually verbally harassed by them and detailed the entire situation.

For the Delta team who may read this, thumbs down. Big thumbs down. Someone in their 60s has a huge circle of friends made over a lifetime and a lot of people to influence toward or against DL. Plus they were flying in FC [not sure if they were an upgrade or paid] which indicates either frequent flying or money and these are just the kind of customers I'd think DL would want to proactively keep satisfied. You just have no idea how horrible the drunkards were to them. Worse, the FAs only real reaction was to ask them to keep it down so they (the FAs) didn't get in trouble for serving them all the liquor.

I am disappointed in my Delta today.
Gee Jenni....since you were monitoring the "situation"....how many drinks were they
served?
Old Sep 15, 09, 5:29 am
Original Poster

no idea

Originally Posted by OHDL1 View Post
Gee Jenni....since you were monitoring the "situation"....how many drinks were they
served?
No idea, don't usually pay attention to what others are doing really unless they call attn to themselves. I do know that AFTER they were already to the point of intoxication the FAs served them at least 2 or 3 more little bottles. Because they made a big production of filling their glasses with them each time and loudly toasting to people, such as the "#[email protected]#hole" old people next to them (their words in their toast.) Then the FAs gave them one to take with them to kind of bribe them to be quiet i think.
Old Sep 15, 09, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
I'd use TTU on nwa.com and hope it's sent to a former NWA customer service rep....they are more empowered to make things right (and willing) than the former DL customer service reps
Old Sep 15, 09, 6:00 am

Programs: DL GM/WN A-list
Not for nothin', but some people don't prefer to bother when something like this happens.
Although I'm sure your actions are with good intentions, perhaps it's just best to mind your own business in a situation like this. I know I'd prefer it that way.
Old Sep 15, 09, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SE, Marriott Silver, Omni Select Plat
Originally Posted by GreerApproach View Post
Not for nothin', but some people don't prefer to bother when something like this happens.
Although I'm sure your actions are with good intentions, perhaps it's just best to mind your own business in a situation like this. I know I'd prefer it that way.
Look the other way? Nice attitude. You get drunk and start abusing me I'm gonna be in your face in ways you definitely won't prefer.
Old Sep 15, 09, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta, United Gold, American
Originally Posted by USA_flyer View Post
Look the other way? Nice attitude. You get drunk and start abusing me I'm gonna be in your face in ways you definitely won't prefer.
Yeah for real, even if there is less justification to call on behalf of someone else, I, myself, definitely would not tolerate that behavior on a plane; the response to her complaint didn't even mention the possibility that she was put in an unpleasant situation due to the flight attendant's disregard. Ridiculous...
Old Sep 15, 09, 6:21 am

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Jenni- instead of the approach you took, I'd submit a complaint to DL as the offended one, as this situation clearly bothered you in flight & made for a less reasonable experience. Whether in F or Y, I don't like to be surrounded by those type of people, despite being the type of person that dances with inanimate objects after too many cocktails.

I have been on DL before where 2 college kids behind me (I was in college at the time) brought their own booze on board & were semi-harassing the old guy next to them, and even spilled a drink on him. He didn't say anything but I mentioned it to the FA that they were being obnoxious & the confiscated their bottle (not sure if it was legal or not but they complied).

Unfortunately Bose QC-2's or 3's can't tune those type of people out (of life).
Old Sep 15, 09, 6:33 am
Suspended

There are two issues going on. One, there are accusations passengers were over served and were generally disruptive. The OP did the right thing and contacted DL, which took that complaint, so there's no issue with the follow-up there. However, the OP asked DL to proactively contact two other passengers about the situation. This is not only meddling on the part of the OP, but initiating contact at the request of another customer is certainly not respectful of the other parties' privacy.

It would only be appropriate to initiate contact of the other parties based on the reports of the crew and/or a full investigation.
Old Sep 15, 09, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by sxf24 View Post
It would only be appropriate to initiate contact of the other parties based on the reports of the crew and/or a full investigation.
Which would have to be triggered by a complaint from someone, i.e. jenniparks, who was also a target of the drunkards' bad behavior.

So the path is pretty clear was to what has to be done to get the ball rolling. However, don't be surprised if the crew covers their butts and denies the allegations.
Old Sep 15, 09, 7:52 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
I'd use TTU on nwa.com and hope it's sent to a former NWA customer service rep....they are more empowered to make things right (and willing) than the former DL customer service reps
Agreed, try going with the nwa.com TTU. With your permission I'll take this to NW upper-management and maybe they can push the DL side. This should be a big, big issue all the way to the top in Atlanta.

What a gesture it would be to offer a personal apology and something nice to the offended couple -- maybe a free F RT (there's always empty seats to somewhere) with real VIP treatment, nice greeting at the gate, etc. (That's assuming the offended couple would ever consent to boarding another DL flight.)

Of course, DL should check to make sure the 2a 2b guys aren't on the same flight - yikes.

In a closed "captive" environment at 35,000 feet there's no escape. I'm sure everyone within earshot was very uncomfortable and frightened. That's no way to treat any passengers, but horrible for F pax who may have paid thousands of dollars.

I feel for the FAs too, who may have been afraid. Drunks often get violent. But somewhere somebody needs to take this seriously and work this scenario into FA training in Atlanta.
Old Sep 15, 09, 8:17 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
One of the reasons I fly Delta (and other US carriers) is as a reaction to a very nasty flight LGW LAS direct with a UK carrier (not hard to work out who)with a group of drunks travelling together but not seated together and the airline's poor handling of the situation from boarding them already intoxicated, the purser telling me she had no intention of asking them to tone down the language (every other word began with F or C), continuing to serve them alcohol-and then finally claiming the booze had run out therefore penalizing the entire plane. It was a farce but a pretty frightening one as if there had been any sort of emergency the cabin crew would have had no authority or control with these people. I wrote in-got a canned response brush-off-haven't flown them since.

I'd definitely be writing in -saying I don't give my business to DL to be forced to view that kind of scenario be it in economy OR first class. I can see why it wouldn't be appropriate to contact the directly concerned passengers direct from a certain viewpoint-even though I feel a classy airline *would*. Quite honestly all passengers in that cabin probably should be given at the least some miles.

Search this Thread