Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo to Syndney Any Good MQM Options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Tokyo to Syndney Any Good MQM Options

Going from ATL to NAR to SYD back to ATL and cannot find a good MQM partner airline for the NAR to SYD leg. Am I missing something?

PD
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
If you mean Tokyo Narita (NRT not NAR) Then your only option to my knowledge would be Korean Air (KE) by way of Seoul-Inchon (ICN).

The ICN-NRT flight is only about an hour, and ICN airport is one of the best in the world.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by PMMMDL
If you mean Tokyo Narita (NRT not NAR) Then your only option to my knowledge would be Korean Air (KE) by way of Seoul-Inchon (ICN).

The ICN-NRT flight is only about an hour, and ICN airport is one of the best in the world.
Also China Southern (CZ) NRT-CAN-SYD (fare may be lower)
but KE and ICN are a better choice.

A splt ticket may also be lower fare
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Pay careful attention to mileage/MQM-earning fare classes whether on Korean or China Southern. Deeply discounted fares can undo your careful MQM planning.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: DL DM
If you want to be adventurous you could take NRT-GUM-CNS on CO and then connect CNS-SYD on another carrier (without SkyMiles) until CO leaves SkyTeam.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: DL
I have the same problem as you do. I am taking a trip sometime in the future (not sure exaclty when) and I want to stop in Tokyo then go on to Sydney, but I still want miles. I think I will do the NRT-ICN-SYD and get to see the beautiful airport, plus its more miles .
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Pay careful attention to mileage/MQM-earning fare classes whether on Korean or China Southern. Deeply discounted fares can undo your careful MQM planning.
Can't stress this enough! Both carriers are fairly restrictive on which fares can earn mileage. Back before all of the competition in the LAX-SYD market, I was looking to go to SYD and the cheapest fare was on KE via ICN. I can't recall what the fare was (perhaps $700-$800), but that fare earned no miles. The cheapest flight I could find with KE that would earn miles was $3,900! OUCH!

Be sure to do your homework to avoid a major disappointment!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:21 pm

You can route (the long way): NRT-LAX-SYD if you so decide. Otherwise Korean via ICN or China Southern via CAN are your only options on SkyTeam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.