Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

New TSA name policy - required to call DL SMS each time!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA name policy - required to call DL SMS each time!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by fti
Why not complain to Delta? Every airline has known this regulation is coming. Won't be fully implemented fully until 2011 I believe. The airlines need to adjust to federal regulations whether they agree with them or not. Same with FAA regulations. Airlines are responsible for implementing them. If they don't like it, the AIRLINES are the ones to complain to the feds.

And whether you see no real benefit to this rule or not doesn't mean that there is no benefit.
+1. The TSA is regulating this, not DL. ALL airlines are complying with this, whether it is DL or any one of the international airlines that has 1 flight daily to/from JFK. Booking for all airlines that fly in the US is being affected.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:58 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
You guys need to bring your TSA whining to the Travel Security forum, or if it really bugs you enough, just stop flying
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by fti
You guys need to bring your TSA whining to the Travel Security forum, or if it really bugs you enough, just stop flying
Delta AirElite is always an option.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
As a techie, I will say that changing the database to allow for more characters is in fact a big deal because one never knows in millions of lines of legacy code what might break as a result.

4 of 5 in my family simply leave the middle name off their DL SM account. In extensive international travel, it's never been an issue.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by fti
+1

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Delta AirElite is always an option.
Wouldn't you havr to go through TSA to get to the plane (if you choose to rent a bigger plane that can access the gates better if they are open)?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
Wouldn't you havr to go through TSA to get to the plane (if you choose to rent a bigger plane that can access the gates better if they are open)?
No. Not sure what you mean about gates. Private charters on business jets are handled at a private fixed base operator facility, not the terminal. NO TSA.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Private security (not TSA) was utilized for the CO Mystery Tours -- 757 flights that departed from parts of IAH under control of CO.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
No. Not sure what you mean about gates. Private charters on business jets are handled at a private fixed base operator facility, not the terminal. NO TSA.
So if somebody rents an actual DL plane (Air Elite does allow people to rent them) are they automatically exempt from it? They'd have to use a regular gate.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
So if somebody rents an actual DL plane (Air Elite does allow people to rent them) are they automatically exempt from it? They'd have to use a regular gate.
Assuming it's a full-size DL passenger jet, it depends where the customer boards, although Delta might contract with the TSA or other private screeners to check bags and passengers before boarding.

If the plane leaves from a passenger terminal, then everyone clears with the TSA to get access to the sterile area - if it's a private FBO on the field, it's up to Delta how they want to handle it.

Their business jet competition (Netjets, etc.) do not involve the TSA at all.

The TSA currently has no authority over private charters that do not operate from the secure area of a passenger terminal (except flights to/from DCA). Thankfully, the NBAA and AOPA have been successfully fighting back on their efforts to gain more control.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fti
It's the TSA (and TSA-apologists') whining that has brought this (In)SecureFlight "ID" dragnet to airlines and airports across America. All the excuses to implement this (In)SecureFlight mandate are just that ... excuses.

In a world where false and/or fraudulently-acquired ID are so readily available, in a world where name changes are so easily had even as to provide the same person legitimately different names in different parts as presented (or not) on various photo IDs, and in a world where databases are so chock full of misinformation about citizens, it's this ID-as-security myth being implemented by the TSA and the TSA-enabling useful idiots at airlines that need to be grounded.

Free citizens should be able to fly freely without being forced by the government and/or government-assisting, private sector minders (read: airlines like DL/NW) to go through this useless obstacle course.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 17, 2009 at 3:34 am
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:46 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
I've Never Quite Understood This Obsession with IDs

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's the TSA (and TSA-apologists') whining that has brought this (In)SecureFlight "ID" dragnet to airlines and airports across America. All the excuses to implement this (In)SecureFlight mandate are just that ... excuses.

In a world where false and/or fraudulently-acquired ID are so readily available, in a world where name changes are so easily had even as to provide the same person legitimately different names in different parts as presented (or not) on various photo IDs, and in a world where databases are so chock full of misinformation about citizens, it's this ID-as-security myth being implemented by the TSA and the TSA-enabling useful idiots at airlines that need to be grounded.

Free citizens should be able to fly freely without being forced by the government and/or government-assisting, private sector minders (read: airlines like DL/NW) to go through this useless obstacle course.
Until the first Gulf War in 1990, the federal government agency where I represent clients on a daily basis (FCC) did not have an ID policy for visitors, meaning that although there was a security officer sitting at a desk on the ground floor, I was never challenged as I went into the building. I could go anywhere and see any staff member I wanted to see without bother.

In 1990, they suddenly imposed the ID requirement, thinking it was the greatest thing since canned beer. I told a staffer whom I had known for quite a while that all a terrorist needed to do was to show an ID at the door, any ID, and he could get in. That upset the guy.

The airlines have pushed the ID thing, not for security's sake, but to make sure that a passenger is not flying on a deeply discounted ticket he or she bought from a scalper (or was gifted by a person unable to fly). That is no reason to have a federal government police force involved.

I also love the little flashlight they turn on to examine your driver's license. That's a special touch.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:23 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by fti
Why not complain to Delta? Every airline has known this regulation is coming. Won't be fully implemented fully until 2011 I believe. The airlines need to adjust to federal regulations whether they agree with them or not. Same with FAA regulations. Airlines are responsible for implementing them. If they don't like it, the AIRLINES are the ones to complain to the feds.

And whether you see no real benefit to this rule or not doesn't mean that there is no benefit.
I don't have any problem complaining to Delta, but when the TSA decides that they are "implementing" for security I expect them to PROVE IT! Sorry, but I pay thier salaries

So SHOW ME THE BENEFIT!

Let's see we can "harrass" the travelers or we can do REAL security? What will we do? "Harrassment" I mean those "baggies" REALLY help don't they? Never mind that the airport and airline employees can bring on ALL the liquids they want (and WHO was one of the original "liquid" bomb plotters????) We will now have all your personal information when you fly so we KNOW who you are, but the "mail" in the cargo hold. That's not a big deal. After all we all "KNOW" the terrorist will use a name etc that's on our list. They will make it "EASY" for us. In the meantime we let the guys with explosives and guns just cruise right through the screening. It's ok, their name and birthdate weren't on our list!!!!!

Honestly, when the TSA decides to strip search you is it going to be "it's OK, it's the TSA"????

So I complain!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:28 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
Sorry, but I pay thier salaries
You pay the salaries of every CEO in the country from whom you buy merchandise, and the salaries of every CEO in the world for foreign products. Doesn't give you the right to tell them how to run their companies. I still contend you are barking up the wrong tree and that these posts belong in Travel Security forum.

No strip searches have been even remotely suggested - nice hypothetical, which are often brought up by those who have no other valid arguments
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond in 2010, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by ND76
I also love the little flashlight they turn on to examine your driver's license. That's a special touch.
The little flashlight is a blacklight. This is commonly used in inspecting paper products for defects. In using this, TSA can detect ID's that have been altered. I understand that this has been effective in finding numerous fake ID's.

TJ
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by Erasmus
While they're at it, maybe they can bring their last name field out of the stone age and allow hyphens?

DL's IT does many things well, but its support for names is not one of them.
It would be better if people that try to use hypen, would drop the egos and pick a last name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.