Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rollback of a hated SM fee?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Rollback of a hated SM fee?

"The Partner Airline Handling Charge will be removed before the start of the 2010 program and therefore will not apply."

http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/skymi...jsp#fee_waiver

OK, good. A big step, if it means what I understand it to mean. But what about rollback of the bogus "International Origination surcharge"?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by redtailshark

"The Partner Airline Handling Charge will be removed before the start of the 2010 program and therefore will not apply."

http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/skymi...jsp#fee_waiver

OK, good. A big step, if it means what I understand it to mean. But what about rollback of the bogus "International Origination surcharge"?
If DL management wanted to get rid of the partner airline handling charge for award tickets now, it could get rid of the charge now. Instead DL management wants to play deceptive games while still reaping the award ticket fees such as the partner airline handling charge. The excuse of having to revise technology systems is just that -- another smoke and mirrors excuse put up by DL management.

Compared to the international origination surcharge amount that DL charges on an award ticket, the partner airline handling charge is peanuts. DL management is throwing customers a peanut but a peanut is all it is as long as DL keeps in place all its other award ticket fees such as the very substantial international origination surcharge and also keeps sticking to the customer-unfriendly three-tier award chart.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 12, 2009 at 2:13 am
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by redtailshark
It is, of course, entirely a coincidence that the elimination of this fee coincides with the elimination of all domestic airline partners.

I don't think the fee was ever about collecting $25 - it was about keeping redemptions on DL metal instead of going over to NW/CO. No longer a problem.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:56 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

They need to eliminate the close-in redemption fees.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:05 am

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
They've just added close-in redemption fees to Northwest WorldPerks. Together with the newly added change fees, its a significant diminish to the value of miles. I think DL fails to realize that they really can devalue SM from a currency to a novelty. To think my company once bought mile certs as gifts and used the miles corp card - both are no longer economic.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

They need to eliminate the close-in redemption fees.
UA already did announce the elimination of the close-in redemption fees, and AA's close-in redemption fees are pretty easy to avoid by even general AAdvantage members. The same cannot be said for DL, an airline whose management is hooked to fees on award tickets like a crack cocaine addict is hooked to cocaine. Sooner or later the pressures of the marketplace will hit DL in this regard and that will be a welcome force.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.