Community
Wiki Posts
Search

you "need" to get a free flight (amex people)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:20 am
Original Poster

you "need" to get a free flight (amex people)

walking through SLC this weekend i heard a new verb associated with the delta amex signup: "need". as in, "sir, you need to come over here and get a free flight on delta".

now, i have never been a fan of the in-terminal amex pushers, but for me this was a new low. i used to just see them wave people over as though a helpful service would be provided and then go into the spiel, but hearing that i "need"ed to do something really irked me.

if the product they were pitching was so great, they wouldn't need to be deceptive about reeling you in. the irony is that i am a happy delta plat amex holder, but the tactics these contracted sign-uppers use make me want to stand next to them and offer counterarguments in the concourse between flights.

Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by decibel08
walking through SLC this weekend i heard a new verb associated with the delta amex signup: "need". as in, "sir, you need to come over here and get a free flight on delta".

now, i have never been a fan of the in-terminal amex pushers, but for me this was a new low. i used to just see them wave people over as though a helpful service would be provided and then go into the spiel, but hearing that i "need"ed to do something really irked me.

if the product they were pitching was so great, they wouldn't need to be deceptive about reeling you in. the irony is that i am a happy delta plat amex holder, but the tactics these contracted sign-uppers use make me want to stand next to them and offer counterarguments in the concourse between flights.

Actually I have busted some of these folks chops over some of this. I've asked them point blank, can you show me how to use them (a little rattled.) Secondly, with my wife, I pulled out my compainion certificate and laptop and told them point blank, if you can find me a flight, plus using the cert and heres my phone, I'll sign my wife up right now (extremely aggitated now). Of course, they said they didn't have the time to do it.... so I gave 'em a look and moved on. Of course the few people around me got a chuckle out of the situation.

OT though, I had an ADT guy come to sell me something at the door. Claimed that when criminals see a 2 nice cars in the drive way they assume I would have nice things in the house and break in. I asked if was a police office or had any satistics proving his point. He moved did not, so he moved to rebutal number 2 saying it's criminal pshycology to think this, and of course I asked if he was a trained physocologist.

I hate these BS artists that try to force stuff on you when they have ZERO idea of what the heck they are even talking about. But I guess in this economy, a job is a job.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I had one get in my face one time (he started walking down the concourse with me, pleading - I think in ATL) and wouldn't accept the fact that I already have the AmEx and I get plenty of miles from flying 100k miles in a year. Got a bit aggrevating.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Yes, these guys are just doing their jobs. A polite no thanks, or even ignoring the pitch, is better than harassing the poor salesman.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:40 pm

"I'm not an American." Works every time
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Yes, these guys are just doing their jobs. A polite no thanks, or even ignoring the pitch, is better than harassing the poor salesman.
Agreed. I usually just wave and keep on walking.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by UnoriginalGuy
"I'm not an American." Works every time
No talk English
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM

Seems like we're grasping at straws on what to complain about. These folks work on commission so they are trying to push you into buying something, just like the rest of the world....just say no and walk away, or if you want to be rude, just walk away without saying anything
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
I just say I already have the card they're peddling (even when I don't). They tend to lose interest pretty quickly....

Although I'm not in sales, I always thought it might be an interesting strategy for a traveling salesperson to try for reciprocity: "I'll gladly fill out your credit card application if you'd be willing to buy a set of these encyclopedias."
Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Him: "Sir, are you flying Delta today?"
Me: *looks around in A concourse at ATL*. "Um, yes."
Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
Him: "Sir, are you flying Delta today?"
Me: *looks around in A concourse at ATL*. "Um, yes."
Me: In a manner of speaking, actually I'm looking for an unattended aircraft to stow away on... Any suggestions?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Seems like we're grasping at straws on what to complain about. These folks work on commission so they are trying to push you into buying something, just like the rest of the world....just say no and walk away, or if you want to be rude, just walk away without saying anything
i've been saying either 'no thanks' or 'already have the card' since i started hearing the pitch in the concourses, and i didn't mind so much the ones that started with 'are you flying delta today?' or 'would you be interested in a free flight with delta?'. i just think no matter how much of a pinch the salespeople are in they should not start with a literal command to the passerby.

then again i have zero experience with sales and am glad i've never had to try to convince strangers to buy my stuff - i'm sure their job is hard.

but my guess is that using the word 'need' in this context might actually serve to dissuade potential customers from signing up simply because most people don't like being told what to do by someone with no authority over them.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:24 pm

I just ignore them. i don't want to say anything and mess up some other sucker from signing up.

We all know how difficult award redemption is on Delta. If someone else doesn't then that's their fault.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 3:29 pm

"Nothing happens until something is sold".

When I first started in sales I was told people buy what they want, they need to be sold what they need. That is real similar to the Southwest 'need-to-get-away' angle.

if the product they were pitching was so great, they wouldn't need to be deceptive about reeling you in.
That pretty much describes all marketing.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:12 am

Programs: WN CP & A-list, Marriott Silver
I've taken to telling them that I have all the Skymiles I could possibly ever want/use and have no desire to accumulate any more (which is partially true -- That and and I already have the card...) That concept seems to confuse them enough to allow me to slip away into the crowd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.